PDA

View Full Version : The Difference Between DKI and RyuTe Kyusho Jitsu

upnorthkyosa
17th December 2005, 17:20
I have a book that Mr. Dillman wrote with Chris Thomas about kyusho jitsu and I have been informed that Mr. Oyata's work is greatly different from what is presented. I would like to discuss the differences in the systems of Kyusho Jitsu..ie philosophy, methods, techniques, etc.

Lets try to keep this discussion focused, civil, and productive. This is something in which I'm really interested and I do not wish to start any flame wars.

upnorthkyosa

Budoka 34
17th December 2005, 21:50
From what I've seen there is no fair way to compare what Dillman teaches to the RyuTe of Oyata Sensei.

I guess I'll start here:

http://www.dillman.com/

http://www.kushu.com/

Robert Rousselot would be the best person I know of on the board to address this.

upnorthkyosa
18th December 2005, 13:58
From what I've seen there is no fair way to compare what Dillman teaches to the RyuTe of Oyata Sensei.

This is what I hear and I would like to get a few more details before I commit to driving four hours one way to get some instruction. Thanks for the links...

Budoka 34
18th December 2005, 17:43
John,

My exposure to RyuTe is some what limited, once or twice a year with Jim Logue Sensei for the last several years.

But I can say it is heads and tails above what I've seen from the DKI students I've met (no disrespect intended).
Ryu Te appears to be very "real world" and effective.

Are you considering RyuTe or DKI?

upnorthkyosa
18th December 2005, 22:38
John,

My exposure to RyuTe is some what limited, once or twice a year with Jim Logue Sensei for the last several years.

But I can say it is heads and tails above what I've seen from the DKI students I've met (no disrespect intended).
Ryu Te appears to be very "real world" and effective.

Are you considering RyuTe or DKI?

I want to go to the source to get some training in tuite and kyusho. I practice Tang Soo Do and we practice many of the same forms. My goal is to take this knowledge home with me and deepen my understanding of what I practice.

There lots of DKI books out there and not many on RyuTe so I haven't been able to read much on the latter. I know of one DKI dojo back where I grew up, so that might be an option...and I'm learning where a couple of RyuTe dojos are in MN. All I need to do is make contact. The DKI dojo would be easier to get to, but if the product is inferior, then I may opt to give RyuTe a try.

Budoka 34
19th December 2005, 04:57
RyuTe is real Okinawan Karate not a system put together by some one with a limited understanding of kyusho.

I have most of Dillmans Books and they are interesting, but if I could train directly under a student of Oyata Sensei I would.

Try contacting Robert Rousselot Sensei here on e-budo or look here:

http://www.kushu.com/wi.html

I hope this helps.

RobertRousselot
2nd January 2006, 03:17
RyuTe is real Okinawan Karate not a system put together by some one with a limited understanding of kyusho.

I have most of Dillmans Books and they are interesting, but if I could train directly under a student of Oyata Sensei I would.

Try contacting Robert Rousselot Sensei here on e-budo or look here:

http://www.kushu.com/wi.html

I hope this helps.

Good morning and Happy New Year.
I just found this thread by accident.

As for me being “the person to ask”, not hardly. I'm so far down on that Totem pole they have to mow the grass around me just so I can see.
I would suggest asking Mr. Logue who is Mr. Oyata’s highest ranked student and also a member here.
However, I wouldn’t expect much detailed “instruction” over the internet from any member of Mr. Oyata’s Assoc. The reason being is martial arts are better understood in person where you can see and feel what it is supposed to be like rather than reading and imagining.

Budoka 34
2nd January 2006, 03:56
As for me being “the person to ask”, not hardly. I'm so far down on that Totem pole they have to mow the grass around me just so I can see.

Robert,

I never thought I write this, but you are to humble! ;)

You being a student of Oyata Sensei and RyuTe, I guarantee you are more than qualified to comment.

I was not aware that Logue Sensei was a member. He is an amazing individual. I look forward to seeing him in Columbia, SC each year.

RobertRousselot
2nd January 2006, 04:00
Robert,

I never thought I write this, but you are to humble! ;)

Not humble, just honest. :D

upnorthkyosa
3rd January 2006, 13:49
The next time that Mr. Oyata is in my area my teacher and I are planning on attending the seminar...if there is one and it is open to the public.

I'm not looking for detailed instruction. I just want to know some general differences.

RobertRousselot
5th January 2006, 09:07
The next time that Mr. Oyata is in my area my teacher and I are planning on attending the seminar...if there is one and it is open to the public.

I'm not looking for detailed instruction. I just want to know some general differences.

Please contact the gentelman I gave you via PM/email for the next seminar.
Most likely it will be open to the public.

upnorthkyosa
7th January 2006, 01:42
Please contact the gentelman I gave you via PM/email for the next seminar.
Most likely it will be open to the public.

The last seminar was at Sensei Mike Cline's dojo in Moorhead, MN. Since he is the highest ranking student in MN that I know of, I would expect that he would know something? His website is...

http://www.hiddenteachings.com/

I wish I lived in Moorhead...It's too dry and flat for me though...;)

RobertRousselot
8th January 2006, 03:44
The last seminar was at Sensei Mike Cline's dojo in Moorhead, MN. Since he is the highest ranking student in MN that I know of, I would expect that he would know something? His website is...

http://www.hiddenteachings.com/

I wish I lived in Moorhead...It's too dry and flat for me though...;)

Mr. Cline is my senior in the Assoc. and yes he is very skilled.
I highly recommend him.

MikeE
23rd January 2006, 21:52
Just had to pop in. I trained with Cline Sensei back when I was in college in Moorhead over a decade ago. He was very good back then, I would have to think he's better now.

For you folks in Ryu Te: I started my training with Brian Thilmony in Fargo, but he very quickly closed his school and never heard from him or his senior students again. Does anyone know what happened to him.

Feel free to e-mail me if necessary.

Roshinkai
25th January 2006, 02:28
I have a book that Mr. Dillman wrote with Chris Thomas about kyusho jitsu and I have been informed that Mr. Oyata's work is greatly different from what is presented. I would like to discuss the differences in the systems of Kyusho Jitsu..ie philosophy, methods, techniques, etc.

Lets try to keep this discussion focused, civil, and productive. This is something in which I'm really interested and I do not wish to start any flame wars.

upnorthkyosa

Though it's been a little while since you began this thread, I'll contribute this. I had the privilege of attending a seminar with Mr. Oyata this past weekend in South Carolina. I have also attended a seminar with Mr. Dillman. Quite a difference in approach, as Mr. Dillman focused on pressure point locations and the effects of striking these correctly. Knock-outs were a big talking point and how pressure point attacks are demonstrated within kata. All very interesting. At one point, another seminar participant was lightly touched and out went the lights.

Mr. Oyata presented natural movements and how these accentuate striking technique and defensive movements. He did not mention pressure points or vital points or the points on a compass. However, I came away with much more from Mr. Oyata. These are only two data points, observed by someone who has limited experience in karate. What I do have is the experience of age and the desire to study behind more traditionallly presented arts. You take it from here.