PDA

View Full Version : BSKF University Training Seminar details 2006

Ade
20th December 2005, 11:44
Gassho,

This year's BSKF university training seminar is being held in London's Imperial college.
Forwarded message from Alastair McIntosh <ajsmcintosh@gmail.com>
Gassho!

Dear Club Captains,

As many of you who attended the UTS at Durham last year will know, Imperial College will be holding this years UTS!

The UTS will be on *25-26th February 2006*, with arrival on the 24th (Friday) evening to meet home stays, followed by training all day Saturday and Sunday, and of course the tasty meal followed by what promisesto be an amazing party on the Saturday featuring the best of the sights and sounds of imperial college!
The cost per person will be £49.95.
At this stage we would be grateful if you could sent us a list of those who wish to attend as well as those kenshi who will require a home stay.
Please could you email this to us, shorinji@ic.ac.uk, by the *13th January 2006*.
Furthermore you should find attached a detailed form which we will need to be completed by the *27th January 2006* and returned to us along with the correct attendance fee.
Cheques will be preferred.
Payable to *ICU ShorinjiKempo Club:***ICU Shorinji Kempo Club Imperial College Union Beit Quad Prince Consort Road,LondonSW7 2BB
Please feel free to forward this invitation to your kenshi during the run upto christmas as I know these times can get very hectic for the dojo's.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!
We look forward to training with you,
Warm Regards and Seasons Greetings, Rebecca Slack (UTS Chairwoman) and Alastair McIntosh (Club Captain)

Kesshu
I'm hoping to get some of the Berlin/Swedish Kenshi and my new college club along too.

See you all there.

Adrian

Steve Williams
20th December 2005, 20:12
I'm hoping to get some of the Berlin/Swedish Kenshi and my new college club along too.

See you all there.

Adrian
Don't forget that this seminar is EXCLUSIVELY for those kenshi who train at university branches, and is not for the "general population" of ShorinjiKempo kenshi.
The "normal" kenshi have the BSKF summer seminar to attend.....
If any kenshi from abroad are hoping to attend then it would be advisable to contact the organisers in advance to see if this is acceptable......

Ade
21st December 2005, 12:49
Don't forget that this seminar is EXCLUSIVELY for those kenshi who train(or teach) at university branches, and is not for the "general population" of ShorinjiKempo kenshi.
The "normal" kenshi have the BSKF summer seminar to attend.....
If any kenshi from abroad are hoping to attend then it would be advisable to contact the organisers (and/or relevant heads of federations) in advance to see if this is acceptable......

Exactly :).......................... (which is what this post is about !)

Adrian
(bit of a Europhile!)

Tripitaka of AA
21st December 2005, 15:30
Are there any restrictions/rules/etc on dogi/badges that prospective attendees should be aware of?

Ade
21st December 2005, 15:38
:rolleyes: Yes..........you've got to have one.........unless you haven't got one........or maybe not!

Tripitaka of AA
22nd December 2005, 07:46
I'm so glad I asked :)

Anders Pettersson
22nd December 2005, 08:37
Are there any restrictions/rules/etc on dogi/badges that prospective attendees should be aware of?
So, are you planning to attend? ;)

/Anders

Ade
22nd December 2005, 08:59
So, are you planning to attend? ;)

No, he's not a member of WSKO and there will be beer involved :p

Tripitaka of AA
22nd December 2005, 21:08
Sometimes there are questions that just aren't asked. I offer myself up for the human sacrifice when such an opportunity presents itself, :).

No I shall not be attending, for the reasons Ade stated, and also as I am not a student (and a whole load of other reasons too).

Kari MakiKuutti
23rd December 2005, 09:01
Sometimes there are questions that just aren't asked. I offer myself up for the human sacrifice when such an opportunity presents itself, :).
Why don't you come over here to the polar circle for the next summer solstice and we will see what we can arrange for you... :)

JL.
27th December 2005, 19:31
Gassho!

Provided there are no problems with the federations, organizers, the allmighty or anyone else I suppose You might expect a few Berlin Kenshi in Your beautiful capital in two months time. Yes, that's a threat. Yes, we're a University club, and yes, some of us drink beer (not me, though).

Kesshu,
______ Jan.

Steve Malton
27th December 2005, 22:44
Gassho!

Provided there are no problems with the federations, organizers, the allmighty or anyone else I suppose You might expect a few Berlin Kenshi in Your beautiful capital in two months time. Yes, that's a threat. Yes, we're a University club, and yes, some of us drink beer (not me, though).

Kesshu,
______ Jan.
*sigh* You mean I've got to find more homestays? Shucks... :p
Looking forward to seeing you, Jan.

JL.
27th December 2005, 23:15
Gassho Steve-san!

I'm looking forward to see You, too. I hope we're not causing too much trouble! :(
Homestay would be great, though my wife and I could certainly find an affordable hotel. Especially since we intend to arrive maybe two days earlier to enjoy London some more.

Kesshu,
______ Jan.

JL.
9th January 2006, 18:50
Gassho!

We're seven now and counting... (=Berlin Kenshi to attend the UTS).

Kesshu,
______ Jan.

Ade
6th February 2006, 10:38
Gassho

Will whoever is in charge of the UTS please let those of us who are intending on attending know full details of what's going on, because it's ONLY 3 WEEKS AWAY and we don't even know where to turn up yet!

Thanks

Adrian

Steve Malton
6th February 2006, 13:01
Gassho

Will whoever is in charge of the UTS please let those of us who are intending on attending know full details of what's going on, because it's ONLY 3 WEEKS AWAY and we don't even know where to turn up yet!

Thanks

Adrian
Ade,

Sorry for the delay. Full details are being prepared as we speak. In the mean time, I can tell you that we're meeting in the Sir Alexander Fleming building at Imperial College, (nearest tubes South Kensington/Gloucester Road) around 7:30pm on Friday 24th to dole out homestays and such like. http://www.imperial.ac.uk/images/mappdfs/sk-map.pdf (Building 35)

We'll be registering people at the training venue from 9am on Saturday. Maps and suchlike will be provided in the welcome packs you'll get on Friday evening, and of course most people will have a native guide :D

More news as it develops...

David Dunn
9th February 2006, 01:00
Thanks Steve. Looking forward to it. The last two times I saw the Albert Hall and Prince Consort Road were both in Michael Caine films - The Fourth Protocol and The Ipcress File. Apparently that's where spies live and work.

JL.
9th February 2006, 11:39
Gassho!

35 Sir Alexander Fleming Building
Medicine, Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Cell and Molecular Biology, Molecular Biosciences, Advanced Biotechnology Centre, Centre for Chronobiology Not that I'm frightened or something – but what exactly is going to happen to us in that building, if I might ask?

Kesshu,
______ Jan.

Steve Malton
9th February 2006, 11:54
You'll be given a bag of goodies and directions to the nearest bar :D

John Ryan
9th February 2006, 12:47
Thanks Steve. Looking forward to it. The last two times I saw the Albert Hall and Prince Consort Road were both in Michael Caine films - The Fourth Protocol and The Ipcress File. Apparently that's where spies live and work.
Almost like magic this leads me on to one of the better (and completely non-apocryphal) recent IC Dojo tales of lore...

Our lusty kiai-ing one Wednesday evening in sunny South Kensington (yeah there's sunshine in London sometimes :p) brought us to the attention of an anonymous gentleman who managed to gain access to the dojo (despite the clear line of sight, there is no trivial route between the Albert Hall and the dojo, unless the Union left the back door open). He asked that we keep the noise down [ie. close the windows] as we were disrupting filming outside (ha! - they can create whole armies in VR yet can't dub out a rhythmic background noise). Subsequent to his visit we sashi-kae-ashied our ways over to the windows and looked down upon the venerable head of none other than Woody Allen, mingling amid a turbulent crowd of hangers-on and film crew. It transpires later (or our later discussion decided) that they were filming part of Match Point, although regrettably Miss Johansson was not visible at the time...

Sadly the experience will not re-occur at the UTS as we're training in a different hall, but I'm sure Paddington has similar splendours of celebrity to reveal.

And in case you're wondering, we did close the windows, ruefully...

Ade
11th February 2006, 01:51
Gassho

I went to Bournemouth tonight for the grading.

Spoke to Sensei Russ and Sensei Peter who havent been contacted at all about the UTS at all, about any details at all about travel, transport, venue, accomodation, topics for instruction, grading, entertainment, etc.

If I were the organisers reading this I would go into a panic about the fact that two (50%) of the main instructors were about to pull the plug and not attend.

But maybe that's just about me and my attention to detail fetish.....

Adrian

PS (last hint)

Steve Malton
11th February 2006, 13:27
Details have been sent. Everything is proceeding according to schedule.

jailess
11th February 2006, 16:30
We don't know what's going on.

Details have been sent. Everything is proceeding according to schedule.
"And soon, the world will be OURS! ALL OURS!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

Ah, my coat. How kind...

Beccarel
11th February 2006, 19:41
I see. Reveal our plan for world domination... retribution shall be dire.

Steve Malton
11th February 2006, 20:23
Careful Jame. I'm sorting out who stays where, and I could be nice, or I could be nasty :p

Kenshi Ken
21st February 2006, 23:17
Gassho

We'll be registering people at the training venue from 9am on Saturday. Maps and suchlike will be provided in the welcome packs you'll get on Friday evening

Can't get there for Friday night and have no idea where training is....

Mr Google hasn't heard of the Paddington Sports Hall, so I'm kinda stuck finding my own way to the venue. Can anyone help with an address or postcode?

Thanks

Paul Barnes
Peterborough Branch (no longer Sandy)

David Dunn
21st February 2006, 23:38
Hi Paul,
check your mail, there should be a map in it.

Steve Malton
22nd February 2006, 00:03
Thanks Dave. For anyone else lost and confused, there are maps for Friday meet-up, training and the evening meal at:

http://www.hep.ucl.ac.uk/~spm/files/UTS/maps

RichD
27th February 2006, 09:55
London -

Thanks very much for a well organised and fun UTS, I had a cracking time (and that's not a reference to the state of my body).

:) :beer: :) :beer: :)

PS. Has anyone got any photos?

David Dunn
27th February 2006, 11:08
Yep, I echo that. It was a great seminar, and exceptionally well organised.

jailess
27th February 2006, 11:55
Nah, it was rubbish. I didn't learn fireballs or flying or anything. Make an effort, Imperial!

I had a wonderful time. There's nothing like being thrown/wristlocked/dumped on your !!! by someone who really knows how to do it properly. Also good to finally put names to e-budo faces.

Christ, we're an ugly bunch.

Steve Malton
27th February 2006, 12:21
Cheers guys. Glad you enjoyed it. Sensei Chris Lloyd took many photos - we're hoping to burn them to cd and send them out to each dojo as soon as we can actually move again :)

sean dixie
27th February 2006, 14:40
Cheers guys. Glad you enjoyed it. Sensei Chris Lloyd took many photos - we're hoping to burn them to cd and send them out to each dojo as soon as we can actually move again :)

Now that's what I call organisation..... :)

Richard Codling
27th February 2006, 16:41
Cheers guys. Glad you enjoyed it.

Aye, 'twas well braw like. We got home about 1am. Legally and everything.

Glasgow's much warmer than London! See you lot up 'ere next year. There will be a morning run, for those interested as to where, have a look at a contour map of Kelvingrove park if you can. Heh heh.

Best wishes and hope to see you all again soon!

Beccarel
27th February 2006, 18:53
There will be a morning run, for those interested as to where, have a look at a contour map of Kelvingrove park if you can. Heh heh.

Best wishes and hope to see you all again soon!

:( I thought that was the best alteration that we made! More sleeping time!

I'd also like to thank everyone who attended especially those who threw themselves into the karaoke with gusto, when it comes down to it, it's the people attending who make these events special and personally, I found everyone very warm and friendly!

JL.
27th February 2006, 22:33
:) :) :)

Back home for twenty minutes already and just made it to eBudo. I'm getting lazy. :rolleyes:
That was in fact one of the most amazing experiences I ever had. And I second Jame-san, of course.
I'm really looking forward to Glasgow next year and to our next trip to Southampton (in summer?).
And I want those photos! ;)

:) :) :)

Richard Codling
28th February 2006, 10:54
:( I thought that was the best alteration that we made!

That's what everyone else said too. I think I'm going to be unpopular....... Oh well.

p.s. Don't hold out for learning fireballs next year either, they'll freeze before they can be projected, possibly singing your dogi. Not good. Stick to flying (much safer).

Sami Elkhalifa
28th February 2006, 11:24
JL wrote:

That was in fact one of the most amazing experiences I ever had

Thanks, Jan. It was great to train with you as well :)

...and thanks to all the Berlin kenshi for making the effort to come over...

Beccarel wrote:

...More sleeping time!...

Not if your homestays are a couple of Glaswegian kenshi with a penchant for discussing kempo at 2 a.m. over a tumbler of scotch or ten ;)

Jailess wrote:

good to finally put names to e-budo faces

As a certain Stevie would say : "Indeedy" :p

jailess
28th February 2006, 12:42
That's what everyone else said too. I think I'm going to be unpopular....... Oh well.What do you mean "Going to be"?

JL.
28th February 2006, 17:22
Gassho!

So, would any of You guys, theoretically speaking, like to visit Berlin for a similar event? ;)

Kesshu,
______ Jan.

Richard Codling
28th February 2006, 19:13
Most definately!

I've never been to Berlin.

Joerg
28th February 2006, 22:58
Most definately!

I've never been to Berlin.

Well, first its your turn, just found out, that easyjet is flying from Berlin to Glasgow from May, which means WE WILL BE BACK.

Great weekend by the way, I really enjoyed the training, but also the city, you never get enough of London.

sonibasra
28th February 2006, 23:21
I'm glad you all had a good time. I am feeling terribly left out over here though! Having said that, Birling Sensei is coming over at the end of March and Juan (one of the most attractive spanish BSKF members - so he tells me) is coming over in May.

Anyone else...

JL.
1st March 2006, 10:22
Gassho!

Anyone else still got muscle-ache from Sean Dixie-senseis warm-up Sunday afternoon?
(@Soni-sempai: Hi! :) I'd love to come, but with the current regulations the US is out of the question for me.)

Kesshu,
______ Jan.

Steve Malton
1st March 2006, 11:26
Gassho!
Anyone else still got muscle-ache from Sean Dixie-senseis warm-up Sunday afternoon?

No, I'm still aching from the week before when he led a real warm-up :D

sean dixie
1st March 2006, 12:45
Moi? :rolleyes:

Consider yourselves lucky, could have been Adrian Simpson (Formally CityShorinji) Now those guys stay fit!

Had a great time, another thanks to all the organisers and everyone who attended.

Cheers.

Steve Malton
1st March 2006, 12:50
First photos are up at:

http://www.shorinji-kempo.uclu.org/images/UTS

I'm reliably informed that more are on their way - if you have any pics you want adding to the hall of shame, please get in touch.

Juan
1st March 2006, 17:11
Wednesday: training at Berlin dojo, got first bruises. Ended up in the beer pub down the road. Had lots of BEER.

Thursday: Berlin sightseeing during day. Spanish tapas bar during the night; where between Joerg, Andrej, Sonia and myself drank all the available stock on Spanish liquors above 50% proof. You wish you had booked a later flight to London on Friday, eh Andrej?

Friday: Arrive to London. More sightseeing with the Berlin kenshi and UTS registration. Tried to get some sleep (thanks Alistair)

Saturday UTS: Excellent tuition, more bruises. Night: being club captain had to choose karaoke song for the Southampton group entry. My choice of Abba universaly regretted. Pretended to be a great Lating dancer with Esther.

Sunday UTS: Locked upstairs with Sensei Mizuno and the rest of the black belts. Need to say more?

Monday: back to Southampton University. The reality of having a job strikes me with the precision of a Sensei Mizuno gyaku zuki jodan. After sobbing ended, contacted Soni to arrange Philly/NY visit.

Tuesday: Training a Southampton. 'Special' treatment by Sensei Ade to all of us as a 'thank you' for our work during last weeks culminating in the UTS trip and grading. Managed to survive, dragged myself to the Union bar for an emergency dose of Red Bull.

Nice.

Juan
1st March 2006, 17:18
Juan (one of the most attractive spanish BSKF members - so he tells me)

That's what my mum says anyway ;)

The rest of Spanish BSKF members (that's Desi) is not bad looking either.

Andrej Mantei
1st March 2006, 18:06
Thursday: Berlin sightseeing during day. Spanish tapas bar during the night; where between Joerg, Andrej, Sonia and myself drank all the available stock on Spanish liquors above 50% proof. You wish you had booked a later flight to London on Friday, eh Andrej?

Definitely ... Completely boozed ... Had 1 hour sleep ... hated the pilot from take off till landing.

Friday: Arrive to London. More sightseeing with the Berlin kenshi [...]

Actually don't remember much of the sightseeing. Browsing through the photos now. Boy, when did I take them? Just remember zombieing after you guys all the time. And just as the hangover started to ease there was this "socializing" in da pub. Just remember this one guys saying he couldn't stand seeing me without a beer in my hand. After that ... darkness.

Pretended to be a great Lating dancer with Esther.

Yep ... got some very revealing photos.

Apart from that ... to the organizers: great job you've done there. Enjoyed it immensely. Hardest part was the Karaoke though. Never thought someone could make me do that. Thanks to the homestays ... In our case Nick from SOAS (George Sensei's Dojo). He was like a mummy to us. Thanks alot. Hopefully I will see you all in Glasgow next year.

Andrej, Berlin

tony leith
3rd March 2006, 18:27
Can I just add my thanks to everybody involved in organising the UTS this year, I throughly enjoyed myself - even being introduced to the Yondan syllabus, which left my shoulder joints doing a creditable impression of a coffee grinder for most of the following week

Especial thanks to Patrick and Steve of imperial/UCl, who not only put up a small army of Glaswegians during the UTS, but were also kind enough to put me up the preceding week when I graded. Above and beyond the call of duty, though we did repay them with as much alcohol as we could carry.

Paucity of my posts lately is explained by being preoccupied with actually doing Shorinji Kempo. Typing is somewhat less painful for the joints though...

Tony Leith

Tripitaka of AA
3rd March 2006, 20:50
Tony, did I just read you right... you passed 3rd Dan grading and you didn't give yourself your own thread to celebrate?

Congratulations Master Dude.

JL.
3rd March 2006, 22:08
Gassho!

Yep, congratulations! :)
Too bad I didn't meet You in person there. But I'll definitely be in Glasgow next year, if there's some way I can make it! And there's a very promising open meeting in Berlin this May, if You haven't heard of it yet. ;)

Kesshu,
______ Jan.

Teko No Ri
4th March 2006, 18:26
Gassho,
Just a note of unanimous gratitude from all the Bristol kenshi who attended the UTS. Very well organised and so much fun, thanks to all who were involved!

Richard, looking forward to your planned run next year, Bristol will be ready :)

jpowell
5th March 2006, 21:53
Gassho,

Thank you to all the organisers and participants at this years UTS. This was my first UTS and it was a thoroughly enjoyable event. The quality of instruction was excellent and I'm very grateful for the opportunity to study with so many different Kenshi.

The Durham University dojo has a couple of pictures from the UTS on their website at http://www.dur.ac.uk/shorinji.kempo/gals/UTS06/UTS06.htm .

Thank you again Imperial College Dojo.

Kesshu,

JL.
5th March 2006, 22:41
Gassho Jonathan-san!

Welcome to eBudo. :)
And we had a great time at the UTS, too.
We have loads of photos, too, but unfortunately our website isn't up, yet.

Kesshu,
______ Jan.

Richard Codling
6th March 2006, 16:58
Richard, looking forward to your planned run next year, Bristol will be ready :)

I'm glad someone is! Had a walk round the route I'm thinking of the other day; very cold, very hilly. It's not too long though so the sleep/run ratio shouldn't become too small.

sean dixie
6th March 2006, 21:32
I'm glad someone is! Had a walk round the route I'm thinking of the other day; very cold, very hilly. It's not too long though so the sleep/run ratio shouldn't become too small.

No worries.....long as the instructor exemption is still in tact :p

tony leith
12th March 2006, 18:02
This referring to the 'traditional' early morning run at the UTS making a reappearance in Glasgow next year.

No worries.....long as the instructor exemption is still in tact

Be in doubt, Sean, it will be.

Thanks to those who've congratulated me here, in person, and via email etc for passing San dan. Given that there are people posting on this forum who passed san dan before I started training, setting decent limits to the extent of my smug self satisfaction seemed wise.

Jan, I'm sorry I didn't take the opportunity to introduce myself properly. I think I did end up teaching some of your students though, who coped heroically with Scottish English being grumbled at them (I'm not at my scintillating best in the morning). My 'teaching' stint was actually a highpoint of my weekend, serving as Maehara sensei's assistant for one session. Being sokuto geri'ed by him was a bit like running into a wall, only a lot more focussed. Always salutary to be reminded what the real standard is when you've just passed a grading..

Tony leith

JL.
12th March 2006, 20:51
Gassho!

Hi Toni-sensei!
Congratulations from my side, too. :)
To be exact, the Kyudansha and Minarai from Berlin aren't my students (if the "you" was meant to be singular, not plural), our trainer is Jörg-sempai, who posts here, too. I sometimes conduct training but am a mere Shodan myself.
Also all the mentioned Berlin Kenshi, as I just realised, have posted on eBudo already. Most of them made their first appearance here very recently on the How has Shorinjikempo changed your life?-thread. They're are among the most eager and promising students in our Dojo.

Kesshu,
______ Jan.

Steve Malton
20th March 2006, 15:44
Ok, so I've finally got round to sending out photos on CD to the branches that asked for it. For everyone else, there are some pictures up at <a href="htp://www.union.ic.ac.uk/acc/shorinji/UTS2006/pics.htm">IC dojo</a>.
Or, if you want the whole lot (limited server space on the union site, see) you can get them <a href="http://www.hep.ucl.ac.uk/~spm/files/UTS2006.tgz">here</a>. Be warned though, it's a 337M file...

John Ryan
20th March 2006, 15:59
People may be better off with this link (http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/acc/shorinji/UTS2006/pics.htm)... :)

Sami Elkhalifa
20th March 2006, 16:31
With grateful thanks to and courtesy of Chris Lloyd Sensei and Melita Rowley.

Steve Malton
20th March 2006, 16:37
People may be better off with this link (http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/acc/shorinji/UTS2006/pics.htm)... :)
Oops... yeah... too early in the morning for me :rolleyes:

John Ryan
20th March 2006, 19:29
With grateful thanks to and courtesy of Chris Lloyd Sensei and Melita Rowley.Indeed, many thanks to those who gave up their time to record the event. Sami naturally omitted to say that he also took some super pics which appear on the CD / monster download. Actually there were loads of great pics - not only was the event and the Shorinji Kempo captured, but a lot of character as well. The portrait of Maehara Sensei looking thoughtfully over the dojo is terrific.

Oops... yeah... too early in the morning for me :rolleyes: Not another weekend on the razz, Steve...? :D