PDA

View Full Version : How to start training in SMR jodo

Mark Murray
24th December 2005, 00:29
Hello all,
I'm located near Clarksburg, West Virginia. And the closest dojo that teaches SMR jodo is hear Harrisburg, PA, which is about 4 hours away. It's too far for traditional training.

My question is, if I wanted to start training in SMR jodo, what would be the best way to do that? Moving is not an option for at least another 3 years. Thanks in advance for the help.

Robert Wolfe
24th December 2005, 03:02
Mr. Murray,

It's actually worse than you think. At the Harrisburg dojo, we can practice what we've been shown by our instructors, but to be instructed we need to drive almost three hours east, to Madison, New Jersey.

-- Bob Wolfe

UKPatrick
26th December 2005, 13:10
Mr Murray,

If I can make a suggestion, regardless of how far away from tuition you are - find a training partner.

I learned (the little I know) seitei Jodo by attending seminars and visiting dojo that taught jodo (seitei and SMR), but I was able to practice at my home dojo with another hopefull who travelled around the country with me. With two of us, we could practice, on your own, Jodo is very difficult, as you need another body to practice technique with/on.

SMJodo
27th December 2005, 21:46
Our dojo is having a seminar in May that you might be interested in. Just an FYI - http://216.84.198.240/seminarinfo.htm

Tony Peters
29th December 2005, 02:57
Mr Murray,

If I can make a suggestion, regardless of how far away from tuition you are - find a training partner.

I learned (the little I know) seitei Jodo by attending seminars and visiting dojo that taught jodo (seitei and SMR), but I was able to practice at my home dojo with another hopefull who travelled around the country with me. With two of us, we could practice, on your own, Jodo is very difficult, as you need another body to practice technique with/on.

good point...I learned what little SMR I know in Hawaii where my wife and I practiced together. We still practice together and will continue to do so.