PDA

View Full Version : Kiyota Company Inc.

fatguy
24th December 2005, 04:59
Hey, Just curious if anyone has ever heard of this company, and if so, could i get some info as to quality for their prices if anyones ever bought from them before. Im looking to buy some items but im really new and need to know if im being scammed or its legit. The company in questions is the kiyota company based out of baltimore maryland.

Alex Dale
24th December 2005, 05:12
Hi Josh,

First, it'd be a good idea to append your name to your signature. I know it's in your profile, but I'd recommend putting it more visibly.

Second of all, Kiyota Co. is a great little outfit run by an old Japanese man. No website or anything as far as I know of, but he carries a pretty wide variety of products.

Definitely not a scam.

HTH.

eastman
24th December 2005, 05:16
I have purchased from them before many times. Just last week in fact.

I only know that the quality of the items I have purchased: Iaito, Bokuto, Obi, Cleaning kits etc are good for the price.

They also ship very fast - I faxed an order on a Tuesday and received my order on Thursday...they must have processed it that day.

I don't like to give sweeping recomendations of any company as each experience is bound to be different, but they are legit.

Hope that helps!

---
Brent Eastman

Brian Owens
24th December 2005, 05:57
Hey, Just curious if anyone has ever heard of this company...need to know if im being scammed or its legit.
The Kiyota Company is one of the old-timers in the martial arts supplies business.

The quality of all the goods I've purchased from them (last time was in 2002) was good, and the service has always been excellent.

HTH.

fatguy
24th December 2005, 06:09
alright, good to know thanks.

DCPan
24th December 2005, 06:31
Hey, Just curious if anyone has ever heard of this company, and if so, could i get some info as to quality for their prices if anyones ever bought from them before. Im looking to buy some items but im really new and need to know if im being scammed or its legit. The company in questions is the kiyota company based out of baltimore maryland.

Yup, I'm surprised they still don't appear to have an internet presence.

They carry similar inventory to another supply company called "California S & P" or something like that.

Anyhow, they have a great selection of bokkens...including a long bokken that they call the "bizen-odachi" which is almost as long as a shinai!

Brian Owens
24th December 2005, 07:28
Yup, I'm surprised they still don't appear to have an internet presence.
Definitely "old school."

...Anyhow, they have a great selection of bokkens...including a long bokken that they call the "bizen-odachi" which is almost as long as a shinai!
Also Yagyu-style fukuro/hikihada shinai, various types of yari and naginata, etc.

Their catalog is well worth the price, even if you don't buy anything, just for looking at all the unusual items.

taken67
24th December 2005, 08:07
Kiyota company is, like everyone above has stated, definitely legit. The prices are what you would expect from a business of his size. Sometimes you can get a better deal, but then again he might have something on sale, or something rare, that is a real steal.

I'm lucky enough to be able to go to his store directly. He always has great stories to tell, and if he likes you the prices get even better.

Budoka 34
25th December 2005, 02:12
Great dealer!

Kiyota Company is (from what they've told me) a small family owned business.

I've always been more than pleased with my orders.

BTW anyone know if they put out a new catalog? I've used the same one since 2002. :)

Moniteur
25th December 2005, 06:50
Anyhow, they have a great selection of bokkens...including a long bokken that they call the "bizen-odachi" which is almost as long as a shinai!

Yep, I have one of those. nagasa is about 36" on mine, tsuka is..hmm.. 12" or so. its very very fast. A very nice piece overall. The carving is nice, the wood grain is very good, etc. I also have a Keishi ryu bokken from Kiyota, and the same is true, except that its shorter and chubbier.

On item to note is that if you have small hands, their tsuka are awfully big around. I have to do a little creative sanding/shaping on the tsuka to get it down to a size I can grip without pinching nerve under my index finger and making my right hand go numb..

riko seishin
26th December 2005, 18:04
Mr. Kiyota is a pleasure to deal with, and as above stated, they have a large quantity of quality products.

About the catalog, he usualy puts one out every year. The only difference is the change in color on the cover and the prices are updated.

ScottUK
26th December 2005, 20:31
Anyone got contact details?

Nathan Scott
23rd August 2013, 20:07
Hey guys,

Anyone order from Mr. Kiyota recently? It's been a while for me, and I was just wondering if he is still around. If so, is there a webpage for him yet?

Regards,

Brian Owens
23rd August 2013, 20:28
...Anyone order from Mr. Kiyota recently? It's been a while for me, and I was just wondering if he is still around. If so, is there a webpage for him yet?

No Web presence that I know of. KiyotaBudo.com doesn't show anything except links, so I think someone bought the domain name and is parking on it.

The company is still in business, though:

(410) 366-8275

Kiyota Company, Inc.
2326 N Charles Street
Baltimore, MD

cxt
23rd August 2013, 22:07
Brian

Thank you for posting the contact info.

I purchased several bo from his firm some 10 years ago--great quality.

Was actually planning on buying several more but could not find the old info.

Brian Owens
23rd August 2013, 22:22
...Thank you for posting the contact info. ...I purchased several bo from his firm some 10 years ago--great quality.

You're welcome.

I may be buying again soon, too. My financial setback is improving and I declined nomination for a second term as Grand Knight in the K of C, so I may have the time and the funds to get back into training soon.

Kendoguy9
1st September 2013, 03:43
Mr. Kiyota is still in business. I buy most of my stuff from him. My mother used to take me into his shop when I was a kid and needed a new karate or judo gi. Even now when I go in he always asks about her and wishes her well. His prices do tend to vary based on how much he likes you or how well he knows you. He is as old school as it gets. I doubt he will ever have a website. He is getting up there in years and I don't think he is going to update with the times. Next time I go in for something I'll check on websites and see what he says... if I can remember. It is very easy to get off topic with him and chat about stuff for hours!

Nathan Scott
1st September 2013, 18:23
Oh, cool. I haven't bought anything from him in years, but we used to get on pretty well. I wonder if he'll remember me. Glad to know he is still around. Guess I should have just asked you, huh? :)

armanox
4th November 2013, 15:04
I swear he remembers everything. I sorta remember him saying to someone he doesn't need a website due to the amount of business he does.

Going there is always great for the stories. The experience is worth anything extra he might charge you. I was in there last in September to have my iaito worked on (I am not an expert in sword maintenance, wanted someone who was to see what was actually loose).

Kendoguy9
4th November 2013, 15:42
This is a little late but I did see Mr. Kiyota at the Baltimore Nihonto show back in Sept. He is still doing well. I didn't get to speak to him really as he was leaving and I was just coming in. He is still around and hopfully will be for a long time. Where would I get my dogi from then?

JS3
10th November 2014, 19:59
Sorry to raise a dead(ish) thread but Mr. Kiyota has a website now.
Looks like the domain was registered this past June.
Not much on it, just a basic who we are/what we sell and how to order a catalog.

http://www.kiyotacompany.com/

cxt
11th November 2014, 04:21
Thank you!

Good to know

I have always been happy with my purchases from him.