PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Resolutions

luar
28th December 2005, 14:55
Someone once said that if you put it out to the universe then you are much closer to making it happen... so here are my goals for 2006:

1. Relaxation - Very stiff body to the point where during an exam Sensei told me to "Go see my wife" in reference to her being a physical therapist.
2. Movement - I want the kind of smooth footwork that disguises my evil intentions. :).
3. Ukemi - The hardwood floors and I refuse to be friends.
4. Randori - I want to be a more tactical.
5. Geris - Too heavy and stiff. Very much related to #1.

mikko.virmasalo
28th December 2005, 15:53
Hi

My resolution for year 2006 is just get myself back to dojo and start to practice again!

2005 passed and I have attendedt only some 10 times... Had some problems with my health and now I have to "motivate" myself to start again!

satsukikorin
28th December 2005, 20:13
5. Geris - Too heavy and stiff.
Raul, we really don't want to hear about your bowel problems.

If you want that to be a resolution, you might want to phrase it "...have heretofore refused...", and state your intention to make friends henceforth.

"The bigger they are, the harder they fall." Therefore it is only natural that it should take you a relatively long time to get comfortable with ukemi. Stick with it, big man, you'll get it right.

My main resolution is to be prompt and thorough when it comes doing the dishes.

:)

jailess
28th December 2005, 20:45
Pizza and I, on the other hand, are firm friends. Symbiotic, almost. It's actually threatening to impact on my ukemi - you can't curl yourself into a ball if there's a BELLY in the way.

Resolution #1: Eat healthy and lose weight! Maybe go on that Kellog's 2-week challenge thing. I'd go on Atkins, but I tend not to trust diets started by fat !!!!s who died of heart-attacks.

Anyone got any tips for me? Oh, and...

Resolution #2: Shodan. This part I've got worked out:

kirgan
29th December 2005, 03:49
Someone once said that if you put it out to the universe then you are much closer to making it happen... so here are my goals for 2006:

1. Relaxation - Very stiff body to the point where during an exam Sensei told me to "Go see my wife" in reference to her being a physical therapist.
2. Movement - I want the kind of smooth footwork that disguises my evil intentions. :).
4. Randori - I want to be a more tactical.
5. Geris - Too heavy and stiff. Very much related to #1.

I'm right there with you on the stiffness issue. I have also been told to loosen up and move more relaxed like I was dancing. The only problem is - I haven't really ever danced : )

I used to play a lot of tennis and moved very well doing that with lots of good rotation on my groundstrokes and I had good footwork, so I am trying to get that same smooth flowing feeling I had back then

--Mike

Ronin_21
29th December 2005, 04:50
My 2006 goals

-Obtain shodan
-figure out the difference between kata and waza before someone laughs at me
-figure out how to properly tie up the baggy sleeves on my newly aquired christmas present (kimono style sleeve iaido gi) so I dont tie myself up in them.
-TRAIN HARD
-Make a kool tsuba for my iaito
:cool:

Rob Gassin
29th December 2005, 08:59
My resolutions for 2006:

- Train hard.
- Lose 10kg
- God willing (and sensei willing) go for my nidan in SK.
- Go for my 1st dan in Hapkido in March
- Confuse other kenshi at randori during SK grading by using Hapkido strategies and techniques.
- Confuse other hapkido players at sparring during hapkido grading by using SK strategies and techniques.
- Definitely avoid ukemi on hard floors.
- Perfect my tobi ukemi on soft mats.

Ewok
29th December 2005, 09:49
- Get back into training
- Secure a good job
- Lose some weight
- Get a plan for the future and start making steps towards making it happen :cool:

NickR
29th December 2005, 10:30
Last year I accomplished lots, got married, cleared loadsa debts, started Ju Jitsu. Im happyier, fitter, healthier.

2006, we should be buying a hairdressing Business (leased), so first thing on my list is to help my wife the the business and make it a sucess.

Second is to put my own website together, with my homemade content management system (which needs to be made).

Third, is help my wife become a bit fitter and healthier, she wants to loose weight, and I want her to do more exercise and eat healthier, so plan on going walking more often for starters and get her doing some gentle exercises at home. Ideally I would like her to start a martial art, but we cant have everything ;)

Fourth, is try and recycle and be more ecologically friendly. We do recycle bulky things like boxes and packaging but we dont seperate out our general kitchen waste, tins, plastic cartons etc.

Fifth, is to try and purchase free range/home grown food more often (there is a local market once a month that does lovely eggs).

Lastly, I am a bit of a Geek and forever buying gadgets, better x y z for the computer, I used to chuck a lot away, but started getting rid of it all on ebay, not for making money, but just to goto use and not causing excess waste in the world. As part of this I am also trying my best to fix up old computers, or salvage working parts, so that I can get a working machine, we did this at work, my old PC has been upgraded from parts from our bust server, the parts I had left over, we managed to build into a working machine with other parts kicking about. Im extending this to some old hifi speakers that I plan to use in our house, woofers are broken, so I've obtained a pair of woofers from an old stereo, hopefully I can make them fit, a fresh lick of paint and they will look as good as new.
So number 6 is to recycle/fix/sell old electronics instead of binning them like I used to.

sean dixie
29th December 2005, 11:35
Sounds like a good plan Nick. Research well the business, hundreds go under every year. Have you looked at franchising with an established name?

Tripitaka of AA
30th December 2005, 06:37
Nick, listen to Sean, he knows of what he speaks

Casey Raiford
30th December 2005, 11:21
I'm right there with you on the stiffness issue. I have also been told to loosen up and move more relaxed like I was dancing. The only problem is - I haven't really ever danced : )

I used to play a lot of tennis and moved very well doing that with lots of good rotation on my groundstrokes and I had good footwork, so I am trying to get that same smooth flowing feeling I had back then

--Mike

Gassho Mike;

I'm right there with you, my brother-in3rd kyu-solidarity. My standing leg is so stiff during any sort of geri that my sensei has been known to grab my knee and physically bend it.

I tend to carry more muscle than the other kenshi (not a lot, really) and it leads me to take the easy way out and get by on strength rather than learning the technique first. Story of my life.

That being said, my resolutions are:

1 - continue to be patient about SK
2 - become more patient about SK
3 - find that still spot in the middle and focus on it rather than flailing about like a loose garden hose
4 - get better at ukemi
5 - insert general purpose work/life resolution here.

Casey

Steve Malton
30th December 2005, 13:16
My one and only resolution: To educate people of the difference between keri (kick) and geri (diahorrea). Sometimes I get the most disturbing images when I read these posts... :p

MagicElvisaj
30th December 2005, 13:36
Mine are to do well and not be to nervous for my Shodan test.
The other to find a new job that will not conflict will my training!
And to post on here more often.
That`s about it!
Happy New Year!
Aaron

NickR
30th December 2005, 18:46
Sounds like a good plan Nick. Research well the business, hundreds go under every year. Have you looked at franchising with an established name?

Sorry to take off topic.

Its a 20 year established business, local to us, my wife even used to work for them. The Landlady is the current owner of the premises and business, looked at the past 5 years books, steady increase in profits each year (15% appox). No interest in franchising. Had accountant and business advisor look at the books, both said, nothing amazing but nice and steady and no obvious things to be wary of.
We are talking a loan to purchase the business, but we have enough equity in the house if it falls flat on its face, plus my wages covers all the bills, bar the loan for the business (its a personal loan), so I think we are pretty well covered.

PM me if you think of anything I need to know ! Thanks.

Tripitaka of AA
31st December 2005, 02:48
I have a lot of personal desires. I would like to change a few things. I would like to improve my lot.

However, it seems that many of my personal wants are dependent on those with whom I share my life... so how do I resolve to improve their lot first, so that I may be allowed to indulge myself? I have to select those resolutions that can improve our lot.

I must learn not to fall asleep when I'm supposed to be awake.
I must pay the bills when they are due.
I must make sure there is enough money in the account to cover the direct debits, standing orders, etc.
I must spend quality time with my children instead of telling them to "shut up and leave me alone".
Doing this will hopefully make me a better husband.

If it works then who knows, I may be able to get closer to being a real Kenshi again...

Casey Raiford
31st December 2005, 03:07
My one and only resolution: To educate people of the difference between keri (kick) and geri (diahorrea). Sometimes I get the most disturbing images when I read these posts... :p

You're assuming I meant kick.

Tripitaka of AA
31st December 2005, 03:53
Just a reminder, to save you having to page back.

from Casey My standing leg is so stiff during any sort of geri that my sensei has been known to grab my knee and physically bend it.

you're assuming I meant kick

EEeeeeeewwww!!!

Casey Raiford
31st December 2005, 05:01
Just a reminder, to save you having to page back.

EEeeeeeewwww!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Casey

Tripitaka of AA
31st December 2005, 09:00
I'm still cleaning the sprayed coffee off my laptop :D :)

Ade
31st December 2005, 19:00
Gassho

:) In chronological order.

Establish Peter Symonds College Dojo.

Continue to oversee instruction at New Milton dojo, recruit at least 15 more students.

Continue to oversee instruction at Southampton University dojo, recruit at least 25 more students.

Plan and organise pre-4th dan grading training for myself and my grading partner.

Plan and organise four South Coast all-grade seminars.

Plan and organise Southampton University monthly black belt/junior instructors courses.

Take 60 students to UTS in London.

Visit Berlin dojo at least twice.

Plan and motivate European University seminar.

Attend BSKF summer camp.

Attend hombu.

Take 4th dan test.

Visit Sweden and Spain if I get the time.

Adrian

Tripitaka of AA
1st January 2006, 04:09
Wow! What a brilliant contrast between my woolly, ambiguous, ill-defined ideas and Ade's list of clear, precise, measured and measurable targets. At the end of the year, I'll have forgotten to notice if I achieved anything more than survival, while Ade will have the satisfaction of having completed (no doubt) ALL his tasks. I imagine he has a similar list relating to work-related goals and another for home life.

Read these lists carefully, for they can be clues to help in finding the treasure. Hint: folow Ade, he knows where he's going.

JL.
3rd January 2006, 17:15
Gassho!

Happy new year everyone. Anyone else already broken all their resolutions? Ok, just me then. :(
As some might know, Ade-sensei carries the unofficial title of "Shodan-making-machine". I probably don't have to explain. Now, here's a new one: what about "Dojo-founding-machine"? Not very original, but not quite untrue either, is it? ;)

Kesshu,
______ Jan.

Indar
6th January 2006, 11:54
Read these lists carefully, for they can be clues to help in finding the treasure. Hint: folow Ade, he knows where he's going.

Ades' list also appears to be the only one that takes into account our philosophy: live half for yourself and half for others.....

satsukikorin
6th January 2006, 14:22
Hey, man, it's not just my dishes I'm washing.

:p

kirgan
9th January 2006, 02:46
Gassho Mike;

I'm right there with you, my brother-in3rd kyu-solidarity. My standing leg is so stiff during any sort of geri that my sensei has been known to grab my knee and physically bend it.

Casey

Gassho Casey,

Funny you should mention that. A month or so before my exam, one of my Sensei's grabbed my leg on Chudon Zuki and pushed it forward while standing behind me to get me to move better forward into the punch better.

I don't have a lot of resolutions for this year, but here they are:

1. Improve in Shorinji Kempo
2. Pass 2nd Kyu before this year is out - preferably before summer is over.
3. Take more time off from work and enjoy life - mostly by doing alot of traveling, SK & diving.

--Mike

Joerg
7th January 2007, 15:29
Ladies and Gentlemen, Rien ne va plus - time to confess:
What have you achieved, what went a total different direction, what about the new year?

And to make the start although I did not post my resolutions in that thread:

1. Make training more interesting with e.g. more physical aspects and more randori. - Well have to ask the Kenshi but I think it worked more or less

2. Really start to learn the techniques I will have to know for my next grading some day - Yes I started, but did not get really far to be honest.

3. I had a list of Kenshi from our club who I thought could get a grading in 2006. - Most worked out, but not all, so there's something left to achieve in 2007.

Your turn.

PS: Before I forget it: Happy New Year evryone.

stevenm
7th January 2007, 17:21
To speak like a Pirate

http://www.yarr.org.uk/talk/

Wi' a wannion yer Squiffy :)

Michael_Smith
7th January 2007, 18:33
Dear all

Gassho

New years resolutions eh?… Stop lying to children?! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I have a few:
1. Obtain shodan (about a month away from grading!)
2. Still work at getting fitter - Concentrating on flexibility
3. Secure a new career

However I have things in the SK pipeline that may or may not happen, depending on other factors. (e.g. I fancy combining my enthusiasm for Kempo and travelling by doing a SK tour of Europe.)

So can we have a six-month appraisal in the summer to see how we are all doing? Possibly amend some of them or have some new ones? :)

Kesshu

stevenm
7th January 2007, 18:54
Gassho

:) In chronological order.

Establish Peter Symonds College Dojo.

Continue to oversee instruction at New Milton dojo, recruit at least 15 more students.

Continue to oversee instruction at Southampton University dojo, recruit at least 25 more students.

Plan and organise pre-4th dan grading training for myself and my grading partner.

Plan and organise four South Coast all-grade seminars.

Plan and organise Southampton University monthly black belt/junior instructors courses.

Take 60 students to UTS in London.

Visit Berlin dojo at least twice.

Plan and motivate European University seminar.

Attend BSKF summer camp.

Attend hombu.

Take 4th dan test.

Visit Sweden and Spain if I get the time

Found new Ade worshipping cult

Speak like a Pirate

Adrian

I'l be right behind you :)

Ewok
8th January 2007, 11:11
- Get back into training
- Secure a good job
- Lose some weight
- Get a plan for the future and start making steps towards making it happen :cool:

Success on all fronts! (Weighing 5kilos less than last year IS still a loss, no matter how insignificant :P)

This year is far more specific
- Go to training a minimum of 3 times a week, if I can pull it, go 5 times a week
- Enter Busen and graduate (takes 10 years!)
- Slow down, improve my form, "do it right" rather than "just do it"
- Aim for 2-dan proficiency in time for when others have their exam (September-ish)
- Work on my goho - been told that I'm a juho natural, but my goho sucks - train with that 4th Dan 22yr old who moves like someone straight out of a fighting video game and learn something
- Lose 4" off my waist. Do weight/strength training twice a week.

kirgan
8th January 2007, 13:27
I don't have a lot of resolutions for this year, but here they are:

1. Improve in Shorinji Kempo
2. Pass 2nd Kyu before this year is out - preferably before summer is over.
3. Take more time off from work and enjoy life - mostly by doing alot of traveling, SK & diving.

--Mike

1. Well, I did improve in Shorinji. I now feel a lot more comfortable in all my 3rd Kyu techniques than when I passed my 3rd Kyu test. However, I know I could still stand to improve my form even more, so I'll work on that for this year.

2. Unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to take my 2nd Kyu test. As some of you may know from my previous posts - I injured my wrist in the early part of 06, which took 2-3 months to heal. I continued to practice, but only with my right side. That alone wasn't enough though to cause me to delay my test. I then had an injury after I was flipped to where I had pain with normal breathing. That took a week for it to subside somewhat to a level where I could do much of anything. Then another 4 weeks before the pain decreased enough for normal movements. But then it took about another 4 months before I didn't feel any pain at all - I assume I cracked a rib, but not sure. I continued to practice, after about a week, but took it real easy for the first month after I returned. Then in early fall I broke some toes and bruised up my foot pretty bad, which took another month and a half without being able to fully practice - I of course couldn't kick from that side and my movement was off, slow and I was out of balance a lot. I stayed away from practice for only about a week though. However, with all of that, I was still just on track to reach my goal. I was scheduled to take my 2nd Kyu test Dec. 17th, 2006, but then my partner for the test had to have some minor neck surgery - completely understandable that he had to postpone. Oh and BTW, he had to have knee surgery and he broke a finger in the 2006 year. I guess we both had a little run of bad luck. Anyway our grading is now rescheduled for tomorrow night.

3. After the first 3 years of not taking any time off work and of 2005 of taking only a little time off, I did do as I wanted in 06. I took a couple of trips and in general spent more time away from work and more with the family, SK and doing other fun things.

So, for 2007, item 1 & 3 are the same for me this year. I will add to pass my 2nd Kyu test in January, continue to improve my 3rd Kyu techniques and hopefully pass my 1st Kyu test by the end of 2007.

--Mike

Rob Gassin
8th January 2007, 20:43
My resolutions for 2006:

- Train hard - Did That
- Lose 10kg - Actually put on 3kg
- God willing (and sensei willing) go for my nidan in SK - Hopefully this year (2007)
- Go for my 1st dan in Hapkido in March - did that
- Confuse other kenshi at randori during SK grading by using Hapkido strategies and techniques - did not grade
- Confuse other hapkido players at sparring during hapkido grading by using SK strategies and techniques - did that
- Definitely avoid ukemi on hard floors - did that
- Perfect my tobi ukemi on soft mats - tried but did not succeed and have come to the conclusion that the problem is in my head not with my body.

So, my resolutions for 2007.

- Train hard
- Lose 10kg
- Go for my Nidan in SK (already discussed with sensei)
- Keep avoiding ukemi on hard floor
- Get over my mental block regarding tobi ukemi.

dax
9th January 2007, 17:55
In no particular order -

Test for san dan.
Qualify for Boston Marathon.
Apply to business school.

dirk.bruere
16th January 2007, 23:23
1. Expand the Consensus (political party) to the USA
2. Finish my book on technoshamanism and get it published
3. Prepare a new series of OneTribe (the radio show)
4. Create some saleable technoshamanic hardware, including a psychomanteum
5. Initiate at least one set of courses to augment Marc's Remote Viewing course.
6. Get a full digital audio system, with appropriate licences, up and running for Cyber Fidelity Ltd and make some serious money.

That's all folks!
Dirk

Steve Dunn
16th January 2007, 23:58
Speaking of resolutions, saw this and found it funny. Guess I have been working in IT tooooo long.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/2ALPHA/Nerds.jpg

dirk.bruere
17th January 2007, 00:18
Speaking of resolutions, saw this and found it funny. Guess I have been working in IT tooooo long.

Not as kewl as 1080p !

Dirk

Ewok
17th January 2007, 23:14

Ahaha, I'll try and remember that one for next time :p (and its 2560x1600 here!)

kirgan
19th January 2007, 03:43
Unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to take my 2nd Kyu test (as I had planned in my 2006 goals)......I was scheduled to take my 2nd Kyu test Dec. 17th, 2006, but it had to be postponed to Jan. 2007.

So, for 2007, I will add to pass my 2nd Kyu test in January, continue to improve my 3rd Kyu techniques and hopefully pass my 1st Kyu test by the end of 2007.

Update: My grading partner and I passed our 2nd Kyu test on Jan. 14th. One goal for 2007 down. I'll continue working hard on the others.

--Mike

ken70
19th January 2007, 11:36
For 2007...... :p
Learn english and japanese language,
pass my nidan WSKO,
go to the european Taïkaï in Italy,
and keep taking pleasure in practising ShorinjiKempo.... :)