PDA

View Full Version : How to find a good school?

Norbert Funke
30th December 2005, 17:16
I am new to all of this but I like to figure out if it is something for me. How do I find a good school for beginners? I live in North Texas (McKinney to be exact).

Thanks

Bigjim1973
30th December 2005, 18:27
First figure out what type of art you want to study (check out a few). Then sit in a class or two, most Senseis will be more than happy. Then youre off on your journey!!

[James Christopher]

Norbert Funke
31st December 2005, 00:31
Good point, I believe I have an idea what I want in the long run; e.g. sword fighting techniques. I reallize that before starting that I probably need some practice without it, but I don't know what schools are actually in my near vicinity or Sensei available to get me started. Is there a central directory or something for the northen Dallas area (McKinney, Plano, Frisco, Melissa etc. etc.) It is hard to find one.

I don't want to go to a third class school that would teach me into the wrong direction or make me loose interest.

Thank for any posts.

Joseph Svinth
31st December 2005, 04:08
It's about finding a calculus teacher, but hey, the principle's the same.

http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~hass/Calculus/HTAC/excerpts/node2.html

Meanwhile, for Japanese MA in the DFW area, check for folks who used to be directly associated with either Toby Threadgill or Vince Tamura. Even if you don't stick with the clubs or instructors, I'm pretty sure the people there will point you in directions you ought to be looking.

kj gotro
31st December 2005, 11:09
I'm not from that area;
It seems someone mentioned specific names.
Take their advice.
When i work out of town ,
i look in the Yellow Pages and make lots of
calls before observing classes.
If someone was recommended to me or I'm
looking for a certain instructor, my search is easier.
I worked in certain places just to train under someone.
There is a sword forum on the net.

Alex Dale
31st December 2005, 23:01
Hi,

If I'm not mistaken, Paul Smith is in the Plano area. I believe he studies Shin Shin Sekiguchi-ryu batto and Kobu Shin-ryu ken/battojutsu.

http://www.kobushinryu.net/

Regards,

shaolin_hendrix
31st December 2005, 23:18
I would recommend checking out the Bad Budo section before choosing a school. That way you'll get a sense of what the traits of bad schools are.

Bryce

Phil Farmer
13th January 2006, 18:33
Hi,

I just saw this thread and can recommend and Aikido School in Denton that also teaches iaido. One of their iai students lives here in Nacogdoches and has been one of my Yoseikan students. I cannot remember the name of the school but believe it is on Oak Street, near the downtown square. I have visited them and they are reliable (at least in my somewhat experienced opinion). I am like most of the rest of the people you will find on e-budo, go visit several places to find what it is you might like, then check their credentials - just because they aren't in a national or international organization does not mean they aren't good, but at least some lineage will give you a little confidence. If they can't tell or won't tell how they got their rank, stay away. If they won't let you watch and maybe even try out a class, be very careful.

I have taught for the last 12 years and I always tell people, come and watch once or twice, then try out a class or two, then decide if it is what you want. It is only when they are sure that I will take their money. I also encourage them to check me out and give them the names and places of my teachers and the particulars about the organization. They can go online, to our international office in Switzerland, and check my license number and the number of my dojo to verify that I really am who I say. This seems to help prospective students.

Most of all, do something you enjoy and that challenges you mind and body. I have studied Yoseikan for 13 years and feel like I am just now getting the hang of it.

Norbert Funke
19th January 2006, 15:29
You guys were helping me alot. I signed up in one dojo in Plano to get started. First i'll plan to get my ranks in the basics in and hopefully over time I will improve my skills that I can move to sword fighting.

Phil, have you been in Switzerland by any chance? I'm actually Swiss and lived there for some time.

-Norbert

hl1978
31st January 2006, 14:04
I am new to all of this but I like to figure out if it is something for me. How do I find a good school for beginners? I live in North Texas (McKinney to be exact).

Thanks

http://www.auskf.info/mainpages/States/OPQRST_States.htm

Most schools affiliated with the All US Kendo federation are good, check out the texas section and find one with iaido or kendo.

uechidrew
6th February 2006, 17:17
Hi,

I just saw this thread and can recommend and Aikido School in Denton that also teaches iaido. One of their iai students lives here in Nacogdoches and has been one of my Yoseikan students. I cannot remember the name of the school but believe it is on Oak Street, near the downtown square. I have visited them and they are reliable (at least in my somewhat experienced opinion). I am like most of the rest of the people you will find on e-budo, go visit several places to find what it is you might like, then check their credentials - just because they aren't in a national or international organization does not mean they aren't good, but at least some lineage will give you a little confidence. If they can't tell or won't tell how they got their rank, stay away. If they won't let you watch and maybe even try out a class, be very careful.

I have taught for the last 12 years and I always tell people, come and watch once or twice, then try out a class or two, then decide if it is what you want. It is only when they are sure that I will take their money. I also encourage them to check me out and give them the names and places of my teachers and the particulars about the organization. They can go online, to our international office in Switzerland, and check my license number and the number of my dojo to verify that I really am who I say. This seems to help prospective students.

Most of all, do something you enjoy and that challenges you mind and body. I have studied Yoseikan for 13 years and feel like I am just now getting the hang of it.

Here is a website to Sensei John Ray's dojo. I believe this is who you are referring to. As a bonus he also teaches Uechi-Ryu !

http://www.dentondojo.com/

Phil Farmer
6th February 2006, 18:06
Thanks for the help, yes that it the correct dojo. From the reports of my student and from meeting him, John is a great guy and runs a good school. Denton is a fairly quiet little town, in spite of a large university being just a mile or two away from downtown. Great place to workout.

pgsmith
14th February 2006, 19:20
Hey guys,
Just stumbled across this thread looking for something else. I agree with Phil that John Ray in Denton is the place to go. Top notch instructor and a great guy. He is who I recommend people to first when they ask. Other than Ray sensei, there is George Kohler in Melissa (Genbukan has sword as part of their curriculum), Luke Molitor in Allen (Bujinkan has sword as part of their curriculum also), DFW Kendo and Iaido Kyokai in Addison, Bob Lange out in Mesquite, and Joe Bostick out in Cleburne. Oh yeah, there is me in Plano. Those are all of the legitimate instructors in the DFW area that I know about. Toby Threadgill left a group out at SMU that was practicing Shindo Yoshin ryu jujutsu, but I haven't talked to any of them to find out if they also practice the sword part of that curriculum.

If you don't mind my asking Norbert, where in Plano are you practicing?

George Kohler
15th February 2006, 04:19
Just for clarification...

I do teach sword arts, but only until my students reach 4th kyu level in Genbukan or 4th kyu in Jujutsu.

This is the same for bojutsu (rokushaku bo and hanbo).

If you are interested in just sword arts I would recommend either Paul Smith (Plano) or John Ray (Denton). I don't know the other schools mentioned, so I can't comment on them.

pgsmith
15th February 2006, 16:25
I do teach sword arts, but only until my students reach 4th kyu level in Genbukan or 4th kyu in Jujutsu.
Thanks for the clarification George, but did you mean after or until?
Off topic, but have you gotten swallowed up in the encroaching neighborhoods out there? :)

Norbert Funke
15th February 2006, 16:28
If you don't mind my asking Norbert, where in Plano are you practicing?

I am practicing at Vision Martial Arts, dojo is at Spring Creek Pkwy. It's a good school and practicing karate has given me great confidence. I feel getting better in shape, alltough I consider myself still as a beginner. My ultimate goal still is to learn japanese swords, but I believe I can enjoy it much more, once I have some solid skills.

Makes sense?

-Norbert

pgsmith
15th February 2006, 19:20
I get it. I thought you meant that you had signed up at a sword dojo, not a karate dojo.

Actually, while learning another martial art first will help out in that you will learn how to learn, it is offset by the fact that you will have to un-learn alot to properly do sword. The movements and stances are very different between karate/tae kwan do and Japanese sword. Unless you have many years of experience, it is way easy to have them bleed over and mess up both arts. They have to be compartmentalized.

Our school used to rent space there for an open mat Saturday a while back. The ceilings are too low though. We ended up poking a couple holes in it. Tell Ms. Reeve I said hi next time you see her.

George Kohler
15th February 2006, 20:05
Thanks for the clarification George, but did you mean after or until?
Off topic, but have you gotten swallowed up in the encroaching neighborhoods out there? :)

It is "Until".

The neiborhoods are coming, but has not swallowed up yet.

Norbert,
I use to teach Genbukan Ninpo Taijutsu and Jujutsu at Vision about 6 years ago. Tell Diane I said hello.

Norbert Funke
21st February 2006, 16:06
Our school used to rent space there for an open mat Saturday a while back. The ceilings are too low though. We ended up poking a couple holes in it. Tell Ms. Reeve I said hi next time you see her.

Ms. Reeve was happy to hear from both of you. She showed me some of the holes, they are still there.

-Norbert