PDA

View Full Version : Koryu in New York?

Basil1980
9th January 2006, 19:21
I was looking for a Koryu Ryu-Ha in the Brooklyn, NY area. Any leads? Thanks for your help.

Basil Miller

Eric Baluja
9th January 2006, 20:49
Sosuishitsu-ryu jujutsu at the NY Seibukan in Queens...I think there's a Shindo Muso-ryu jo group in Brooklyn...nothing else leaps to mind (other than what to steer clear of, at least if you're really interested in koryu in its strictest sense).

Dave Hall
26th January 2006, 01:43
There is at least one Yagyu Shinkage Ryu dojo in the New York area - Yagyu Nobuharu's students. There may also be a second under Watanabe sensei but I'm not sure about that one.

khameleon59
30th December 2011, 09:44
Good Day BUYU! I have posted in the ninjutsu section and received some awesome help from the respondants. My question is does anyone know if there is a Kotari Shinto Ryu school in NYC? Are there any other sword schools similar in dynamic to KSR!?

Redkhameleon59@gmail.com

Jose Garrido
30th December 2011, 15:35
As far as I know there is only one authorized KSR teacher in the US and he is on the west coast.

DDATFUS
30th December 2011, 16:58
There is an authorized Katori Shinto Ryu group in the Finger Lakes area, but to the best of my knowledge there is nothing in New York City itself. The authorized representative of Katori Shinto Ryu in the US is Phil Relnick, and I believe inquiries regarding training are best directed to him: http://www.tenshinsho-den-katori-shinto-ryu.org/.

As far as other koryu are concerned, the Marobashikai of Yagyu Shinkage Ryu has a New York City branch (http://www.shinkageryu.us/). The Yagyukai of Yagyu Shinkage Ryu (which is the family line of the art) also has a presence in New York City the last time that I checked. One of your best sources of information would be to contact Meik or Dianne Skoss at koryu.com. Their website has a great deal of information regarding koryu including links to various groups in the US, and their New Jersey-based dojo disseminates the arts of Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, Shindo Muso Ryu, and Toda-ha Buko Ryu.

As a side note, this thread is not really connected to aikijujutsu-- perhaps a moderator could consider relocating it to a more suitable subforum?

Cliff Judge
30th December 2011, 17:20
You might want to look for people in the area who train Katori Shinto Ryu under Sugawara Sensei. It's very similar to Katori Shinto Ryu.