PDA

View Full Version : How many kata is enough?

Ron Goninan
2nd December 2000, 05:42
Many respected martial arts historians tell us that in older times, many styles centered their practice around only a handful of kata or perhaps even a single form as a complete art or tradition in itself.

So exactly when is enough kata? Is it wise to practise many kata or only a few? Do some systems have too many kata? Or have many missed the entire point of what kata truly are? Does having many kata lead to only a superficial understanding? What are your thoughts?

Regards,

Ron Goninan - Shinshi
Kokusai Okinawa Butoryu Gohokan
Innovative & Progressive Traditionalist
Australia

Doug Daulton
5th December 2000, 23:51
Mr. Goninan,

I had a similar question which I posted in the Karate Forum some time ago. You can find the reults of that discussion here ...

http://204.95.207.136/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=670

I look forward to reading everyone's responses as well.

Budokan
6th December 2000, 03:43
I think the answer to this question is different for every martial artist. However, having said that, I wonder sometimes if some styles don't have too many kata. Seems to me perfection of a handful that, properly reverse-engineered, gives the karateka moves he can employ in a self-defense situation that won't be superficial.

I think this is probably one of those questions in which all answers are right--depending on what the individual wants for himself.

kusanku
7th December 2000, 20:46
One kata, properly mastered, is enough. Of course, it must be a good one.

Consider Tai Ch'i Ch'uan, whose central practice allrevolves around one form.

But I don't think we can say that a school has 'too many forms. ' Too many for whom? If you master one, you can practice many. But you still must master at least one.

On Okinawa there is what is called the rule of three, that you can focus on three kata , at most, at one time. But those three can change, after you master three, you master three more, if you want. Times for mastery of a kata are approximately three years each, so a person knowing three kata should master them in nine to ten years.

Someone practicing thirty years may have mastered ten kata, and in fifty, sixteen or seventeen, in sixty, eighteen to twenty.

Except that there is overlap and after mastering one to three kata, you quickly acquire skill in many that are similar.

Bottom line? Master at least one.Applications and all.