PDA

View Full Version : Syllabus

johan_frendin
18th January 2006, 13:38
Gassho!

apparently in the new syllabus

What is happening with the new syllabus?

I know that all religious (Kongo zen) subjects are taken away from the curriculum from april this year. But is it going to be a major change in the structure of the techniques? Can find some of today’s nidan techniques at yon kyu level in April?

Johan Frendin

MagicElvisaj
18th January 2006, 21:19
Hi
I picked up the new publication of the syllabus when I was at the Kagami Biraki. It is almost identical to the old one. The cover is yellow with the new logo. The techniques are all the same in the same places. The difference is the the philosophy and questions for the test are different. Each question refers to a section name of the Tokuhon.
I hope this helps.
Aaron

Gary Dolce
18th January 2006, 21:52
Hi
I picked up the new publication of the syllabus when I was at the Kagami Biraki. It is almost identical to the old one. The cover is yellow with the new logo. The techniques are all the same in the same places. The difference is the the philosophy and questions for the test are different. Each question refers to a section name of the Tokuhon.
I hope this helps.

Aaron,

It sounds like you picked up the slightly modified version that they released this past April to accomodate changes in the philosophy curriculum. I think what Johan is referring to is the new curriculum that Hombu announced they were working on for release later in 2006 or 2007 (can't remember date). This will be a major revision which will add new kyu levels, among other things.

Can find some of today’s nidan techniques at yon kyu level in April?

Don't laugh - this actually happened with the last major revision in 1986. For example, the previous curriculum had tsubame gaeshi and chidori gaeshi at 2-dan, and yoko tenshin geri and han tenshin geri at 3-dan. It put some of us in the position of having to teach some things we barely knew.

Gary

JL.
18th January 2006, 23:53
Gassho!

[…] I think what Johan is referring to is the new curriculum that Hombu announced they were working on for release later in 2006 or 2007 (can't remember date). This will be a major revision which will add new kyu levels, among other things.[…]
It's 2007, as far as I know.

Kesshu,
______ Jan.

johan_frendin
19th January 2006, 05:37
Gassho!

Don't laugh - this actually happened with the last major revision in 1986. For example, the previous curriculum had tsubame gaeshi and chidori gaeshi at 2-dan, and yoko tenshin geri and han tenshin geri at 3-dan. It put some of us in the position of having to teach some things we barely knew.

Hello Gary.
I was san-kyu at that time and did not understand the major change. Maybe my instructors at that time were good at hiding their confusion. :D
I remember that we had a lot of nuki wasa to san-kyu that suddenly disappeared when the new curriculum was established.

Personally I hope that some of the techniques come “closer” together in the future. This is a couple of techniques that I think should be practiced together:

Shita uke geri (san kyu) - Shita uke zuki ( today ni dan)
Kata muna otoshi (ik kyu) – Ryo muna otoshi ( today ni dan)

Is there anybody else that has expectation for the new curriculum?

Johan Frendin

MagicElvisaj
19th January 2006, 07:41
Gary,
Thanks for letting me know. I had a feeling it might not be the one Johan mentioned. I did not know there was a new one with those kind of changes coming. It should be interesting!
Aaron

Steve Williams
20th January 2006, 11:11

Gary
Not to mention Ippon-sei-nage at minerai, and tsuki nuki at minerai also.....
Ude-juji at 1st dan also comes to mind.......

Rob Gassin
20th January 2006, 12:35
Not to mention Ippon-sei-nage at minerai, and tsuki nuki at minerai also.....
Ude-juji at 1st dan also comes to mind.......
Aaah, the good old days!!