PDA

View Full Version : For all you seitei iai'ists out there

Andy Watson
26th January 2006, 17:55
I hate self promotion but it is nearly as bad as false modesty. Thought some of you might be interested in this article...

BKA News Article (http://www.kendo.org.uk/newsevents/darlington/05/darlington05.shtml)

JAnstey
27th January 2006, 01:26
Awesome! Thanks Andy!

Will add that to the current ream of qualifications and interpetations, and will be interested in how they compare to the amends brought back by my Sensei from Japan in November, I will then add them to the amends that come back from Oda Sensei from the Nationals that are currently on in Oz.

Gotta admit Seitei never gets stale! :)

Yours in Budo

Jason

Andy Watson
27th January 2006, 13:12
Hi Jason, good to hear from you. Glad you liked the article. I would add though that my translation isn't there to challenge other's interpretations, I am just using what Japanese knowledge I have and taking the words from the book.

Although the words don't change, even the Japanese admit that personal interpretation does as the book does leave a lot of things undetailed and unspecific.

Anyway, good training and have a good weekend.

Best regards

JAnstey
30th January 2006, 00:47
yep, sorry Andy

Didn't mean interpretation is regards to your translation, in any case it is a great piece and is a good addition to the March 2004 english version of the ZNKR manual - At the right price too!

Cheers mate

Jason

Andy Watson
30th January 2006, 07:07
yep, sorry Andy

Didn't mean interpretation is regards to your translation, in any case it is a great piece and is a good addition to the March 2004 english version of the ZNKR manual - At the right price too!

Cheers mate

Jason

Price? PRICE!

Doh! I knew I forgot something!

Aden
30th January 2006, 11:57
And where was JAnstey anyway - I caught up with Hans / Denichi / Ray / Jeri / Tony B / Russell during the seminar and competition and saw a lot other sandgropers I hadn't met before (16 from WA were here in Wollongong amongst the 90 odd Australians I think, just over half from Budokan, the remainder from WASJS a fair turnout given the distance but only 1/2 the number that the Victorians delivered which contributed to the Victorian clean sweep in the big trophies.....).

Aden

Who has just come back from delivering sensei's baggage to the airport and is looking forward to a well deserved rest.

JAnstey
31st January 2006, 01:13
Yep, Hi Aden,

I blew my training funds going to the BKA seminar/taikai/shinsa in August at Brighton. Am peeved that I couldn't make this years event, sounds like it was a great success. Hope to meet you in Hobart next year.

Have a good deserved rest, I know what its like having worked on the WA event.

Am sure Andy understands the work more than most doing all the translation as well.

Cheers

Jason

SeventhSentinel
31st January 2006, 12:47
Thanks alot for the article post. Ever since I moved away from where I used to train I've had to rent a space at the local rec center once a week to practice on my own (Iaido doesn't seem to exhist here, not even in any of the aikido or kendo schools). I'm printing this out and taking it with me to practice as a reminder. That way I won't get scolded too much when I fly back evey other month or so to go train at my dojo. I appreciate it. :)

Charles Mahan
31st January 2006, 14:10
There are at least two schools practicing Iai in Hawaii, but I can promise you that either of them are on Honolulu.

Andy Watson
31st January 2006, 14:12
Surely it's just a quick swim across the water isn't it?

Charles Mahan
31st January 2006, 14:13
There are even more than that apparently:

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15296&highlight=Wayne+Muramoto

A number of things show up in that thread. You could also send a private message to Ken-Hawaii, one of the user names in the Member list.

Charles Mahan
31st January 2006, 14:16
Oops. Dup post!

SeventhSentinel
1st February 2006, 13:19
Heh thanks charles but Wayne is my sensei. Moved from honolulu to hilo on the big island. training with them good ppl is about all i miss from that concrete jungle.

P.S. I just edited my location forgot it still said honolulu

Ken-Hawaii
1st February 2006, 19:41
Sorry I haven't checked the posts for the past few days. My son, his wife, & our two grandkids are in town, en route to his new duty station in Savannah, Georgia. Hope they can find kendo there!

George, of course we have a number of iaido dojos over here on Oahu, & you probably know about the http://www.hawaiikendo.com/schedules.htm link for dojos around the state, but thought I'd list it, anyway. I have no clue if either Hilo dojo teaches iaido; if they don't, why don't you try to round up a few other iaidoka & iaido-wannabes & get something started?

And I'll ask Maeda-Sensei if he knows of any iaido on Hawaii Island.

SeventhSentinel
2nd February 2006, 06:36
Thanks Ken, and yes i've called both kendo schools b4 i moved here and neither does any iaido not even seitei... so sad. Please ask around tho if anyone knows ppl here that train. Thats why i had to rent space at the waiakea rec center here to practice all alone. Training on "tatami like" mats is very odd to me. On a funny note, i scared the living crap outta the two karate ppl that practice in the same room when i showed up with my iaito. They moved alllll the way to the other side of the room heh.