PDA

View Full Version : sword arts in NYC area?

Frank Gibbons
30th January 2006, 06:24
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend some dojos in the NYC area? I'm in Westchester County. Thanks a bunch!

Frank Gibbons

Eric Spinelli
30th January 2006, 07:02
I'm sure there are many others, but I can speak for the quality of instruction at the KenZen Dojo in Manhattan. Kendo (Ebihara sensei, 7th dan, kyoshi) and Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido (Parker sensei, 5th dan) are both taught there. It is a AUSKF dojo.

http://members.aol.com/kenzeninst/

Michael Mason
30th January 2006, 17:39
Mr. Gibbons,
There is a Shinkendo dojo in Queens (across the Whitestone bridge).

Our local website is www.shinkendonewyork.com. I have been training there for 2 years now and enjoy it very much. If you would like to watch a class, please call and make an appointment with D'Agostino-sensei.
For more information about Shinkendo, please visit www.shinkendo.com.

If you are specifically looking for Sport Kendo or Seitei Iaido, please refer to Mr. Spinelli's post. The folks at Ken Zen are very nice.

Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Gennan 53
30th January 2006, 18:32
Konnichiwa Gibbons-san,

I would like to recommend that you also take a look at the United States Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu NYC Study Group, headed up by Deborah Klens-Bigman. The URL for the NYC Study Group is:

http://www.newyorkbudokai.net/tamiya/

Best of luck with your quest!!!

Frank Gibbons
30th January 2006, 20:40
Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your replies, this is really helpful, there's lots of places, I can see. :)

I'm really intrested in two-man kata, which I've read about but haven't seen, so are these good dojos for that type of training? Any suggestions as to where I can learn more about two-man kata?

Thanks again!

Frank Gibbons

Ralutin
30th January 2006, 20:41
Hi Mr. Gibbons,

I reside on the Left Coast, but I'd like to put a recommendation in for the Shidogakuin Kendo and Iaido Dojo on 43rd St. I've visited there on one occasion a few years ago for kendo and iaido practice and I also know a couple of the students and the head instructor, Shozo Kato sensei. They've got some of the best kendoka and iaidoka in the U.S. Here's more information:

http://www.kendoka.org/dojos_ny.html

Good luck with your search!

Ralutin
30th January 2006, 20:54
Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your replies, this is really helpful, there's lots of places, I can see. :)

I'm really intrested in two-man kata, which I've read about but haven't seen, so are these good dojos for that type of training? Any suggestions as to where I can learn more about two-man kata?

Thanks again!

Frank Gibbons

Hi Mr. Gibbons,

Kendo practitioners are required to learn a set of two-man kata when they attain a certain level. Some dojo/instructors may even have beginners learn the kata during their first few months of training.

I know Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu and Muso Shinden Ryu iaido feature two-man kata in their curriculum, but few Muso Shinden Ryu practitioners here in the U.S. know of them.

I'm not sure if Shinkendo and Tamiya Ryu have any two-man kata. Perhaps the previous posters in those styles can elaborate.

Michael Mason
31st January 2006, 16:56
All JSA arts include some sort of 2 person component. (if anyone belongs to some obscure 1 man ryuha, my apologies:)
So a "yes" in answer to your question really doesn't give you any information.

As to the actual kata, I can only say, come take a look. And not just at Shinkendo (my preference) but also Iaido and Kendo. You will likely notice significant differences. Out of respect for the other arts, I will let you discover those differences on your own. Make sure you contact the instructors before stopping by. It makes a big difference. :)

Eric Baluja
31st January 2006, 17:41
Yagyu Shinkage-ryu hyoho in NYC; go to www.shutokukan.org (the Skoss dojo website) for more information.