PDA

View Full Version : Limiting attachments to avoid wasting bandwidth

Tripitaka of AA
1st February 2006, 12:58
I tried to attach a pic. There is a new section on the window that pops up, which shows how much of your allocated space for attachments has been used. The unstated message is, if you don't have any space left, then you can't post an image. You can go to a page which shows all the attached images "owned" by you, and are free to delete them as you see fit.

I took a quick look at the list and it has threads and pics raised from all sorts of discussions and different forums across E-Budo. I am saddened to see just how many great threads would be messed up if they had a lot of pics removed.

Obviously, there is an amount of education required here occasionally, just to remind people that the luxury of being able to post pics at all should not be abused. I will be going through my list and seeing how muchspace can be freed by removing the unnecesary pics. Anything I can do to help. But I was surprised to find no mention of this change on the Memebers Lounge or the Help or What's New forums.

Maybe a quick "How to post pics..." thread could be knocked up that contains some Dos and Don'ts. I was here for ages before I realised you could post an old pic by using {img} {/img} tags and using the "properties" of the original picture to find the shortcut. All those "attached" pics might contain a load that could be better done with links. Then again, we wouldn't be able to edit in those links now, would we.

I wonder how Prince Loeffler and Acgallen will feel when they next come to post from their extensive collections. Some of the best threads of recent years would simply not exist if these great researchers were denied the opportunity to add further examples for our education.

Prince Loeffler
1st February 2006, 18:38
I wonder how Prince Loeffler and Acgallen will feel when they next come to post from their extensive collections. Some of the best threads of recent years would simply not exist if these great researchers were denied the opportunity to add further examples for our education.

Unfortunately, all my worst Dogi collection thread and my karate jokes and pics thread are deleted. Well, we had a great time while at least and I was just glad to be able to bring some smiles in this forum. I pretty much lost all the strenght to start over. But its all good ! :)

pgsmith
1st February 2006, 19:48
Place your image on a free hosting service such as imageshack ...
http://imageshack.us/
When you post, there's an "insert image" button (has a little landscape on it). Just copy the URL of the picture on imageshack into the pop-up and it will add the img tags to your post. This way you can have an image in your post without having to attach it and have it uploaded to John's server. You can have plenty of pictures without wasting any of e-budo's bandwidth. Of course, whether your entire post is a waste of bandwidth will have to be voted on by others! :D

Cheers,

Tripitaka of AA
1st February 2006, 21:21
Bish-bash-bosh! Ta-daaa!!!

Now that sounds like an idea worth pursuing. Thanks Paul :D

MikeWilliams
1st February 2006, 22:38
Unfortunately, all my worst Dogi collection thread and my karate jokes and pics thread are deleted. Well, we had a great time while at least and I was just glad to be able to bring some smiles in this forum. I pretty much lost all the strenght to start over. But its all good ! :)

Art is not eternal.

They were most excellent while they lasted though - thanks!

Prince Loeffler
1st February 2006, 23:13
Art is not eternal.

They were most excellent while they lasted though - thanks!

Thanks Mike, I had a great time collecting the stuff. Hope Joe Yang won't be dissapointed because I could not locate the Western Dogi he seeks.... :)

Don Morris
2nd February 2006, 03:05
Also check with your internet provider. Many offer webspace for free. I'm with charter.net and they offer 10 meg of space to all their customers. I use my space just for hosting images I want to post on messageboards. I have a text file with commonly used forum codes handy so I can cut and paste the URLs I intend to use.

http://webpages.charter.net/dmorris3/00images/Code.JPG