PDA

View Full Version : Judo and Jujitsu - what's the difference?

Darren Yeow
3rd December 2000, 07:32
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what is the differences between judo and jujitsu? I have very limited knowledge on both and from what I've seen of the two they seem similar. I'm really interested in groundwork, and it's an essential area (apparently 80% of fights end up on the ground) which is currently lacking in my overall MA ability. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with both, and could enlighten me on the differences, cheers.

DY

Ryu
3rd December 2000, 08:36
The main difference, if you are looking at Japanese jiu-jitsu and judo, is in the realistic applications of newaza groundfighting. Jigoro Kano created judo out of jiu-jitsu. So the two have similarities (especially in the classic self-defense aspects of the art)
But the main difference, in my opinion, is in the training, and groundwork. Japanese jiu-jitsu is a vast system, but focuses more on standing grappling, and includes many wrist locks, throws from locks, and some hip throws, etc.
Judo focuses on a very sportive aspect, and focuses on throwing, pinning, groundfighting, strangulation, armlocks on the ground, etc. It is not quite as extensive as Brazilain Jiu-jitsu. (which is controversied as simply combat judo). In my opinion, judo trains a bit more realistically than classical jiu-jitsu. During randori (free spar) you simply roll against individuals who are out to beat you...and beat you bad. :)
So in order to beat them, you have to sweat, bleed, and grapple as much as you can. Although I'm speaking a bit more from a BJJ standpoint...Much of judo is focused on the nagewaza (throwing aspects).
I hope that gives you a little bit of an idea. I'm not an expert in judo, but have trained in BJJ for some years, and am planning on going to the kodokan in the future.
Mark F. Might be the better person to pick out any mistakes I've made here :)

Take care,
Ryu

MarkF
3rd December 2000, 11:33
Well, nothing really. It is more of a matter of what you want or need from either. If you are speaking of koryu (ancient schools) jujutsu, then the motive may be in learning an outdated, but important piece of the Japansese bugei, or budo (martial arts).

Judo has a more principled "way (do)" of doing things, and there is more to it than simply learning the old, classical empty handed, or weapons style jujtusu.

That said, there still are many similarites. Judo (the way of flexibility or gentleness) is mostly a grappling art, standing or on the ground, but not strictly either. While each ryu (school) has differing techniques, judo is a blend of techniques from various ryu of jujutsu, and includes competition, or randori (free practice), both which teach you how to attack and defend. While the translations are similar (jujutsu meaning art or techniques of flexibility or gentleness), the manner in which each is learned can differ widely. Judo also applies itself a principle of living your life as well, so in that way it is different.

Bottom line is what you want or need. Judo, which does contain kata (forms) of modern self defense techniques, or goshin jutsu no kata, it also retains the kata of koryu jujutsu (you will get a big argument from those who study the classical fighting arts), some as old as those done in armour or kumi uchi, to modern ways of arresting and police work.

There is, of course gendai (new) jujutsu (or jujitsu) which basically is judo without the rules of fair play instituted, but this too, will teach randori (free sparing), kata (classical forms), and shiai, or tournament fighting. Basically, it is geared for the practical street applications.

If you want to read about judo, you may want to start with "Kodokan Judo" by Jigoro Kano which includes its history and many samples of technique, standing grappling, mat work or ground fighting, skeletal locks, and strangle hold techniques. Also, there is, contrary to some, striking techniques called atemi. This includes striking with the edge of the hand or punching, kicking, hitting with the head, weapons (or defense against them), and so on. Striking in either usually is aimed at one of two things: to off-balance an opponenent so you can finish him (this does not mean killing!), and the other is vital point striking ("pressure points" or kyusho).

Some sites you may want to read are:

http://www.bstkd.com/judo.html --Good history of judo

http://www.ijf.org (this site is geared mainly toward competition)

http://www.kodokan.org (This is the official site of Kodokan judo, or Ancient/old place/school of the way). Here, you can find innumerable books and videos on the subject, and for all reasons, sport, self-defense, or the study of judo stricly as a martial art.

Don't forget, judo, originally was called jujitsu, so if you are thiking of a more modern approach, and practical aspects of both, the two are very similar.

The basic difference between judo and Brazilian jiu-jitsu, is simply in the aproach of practice. In judo, a match can end in a perfectly executed throw, while in BJJ, the throw is used to bring the opponent to the ground, and matches end by one or the other submitting. In judo/jujutsu shiai, all forms of grappling have ways of winning.

For a ton of info on both, use the google search engine ( http://www.google.com ). Enter your search words, and be ready for a ton of information. If you use simply judo or jujitsu, use the google cache. If more interested in self-defense, enter that with judo, and it won't be so overwhelming.

Bill King is the on who can inform you concerning Brazilian jiu jitsu, first learned in Brazil from a judo practitioner. Submission Grappling (BJJ) is a good way to back up either fighting form.

Buy the book, Kodokan Judo. It is the manual, and now is available in soft-cover, and is cheaper. Available on Barnes and Noble or Amazon.com. B&N will charge you under twenty bucks for it, and at Amazon, you will pay cover price of about 24.00 AMD.

The best of all, would be to sample/watch a little of both. There usually is a distinct difference in the price of doing judo, as most schools are run out of programs such as a local college, YMCA, Parks and Recs., etc.

Get on the phone and check it out. Some have no websites, thus cheaper.:)