PDA

View Full Version : Footwork improvement, help needed...

Darren Yeow
3rd December 2000, 06:53
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what is the best way to improve succinct footwork for techniques? During classes, we usually get into the swing of things by sensei showing us the techniques, but does not stress much on the footwork (I'm not sure if he just forget or is lacking in the area himself). Instead their placement seem to be more approximate, and in positions which are most comfortable. I've seen some Aikido books (one of which was written by O sensei, but I can't remeber it's title) which succinctly describes in detail the foot positions, spacing, etc, and so I can't believe that they are worthless.

Most of the time while I'm doing the actual techniques, I get so involved with hand and upper body movements that I forget to question feet placement, so I was just wondering about reccomendations on how to improve footwork in general, thanks.

DY

Nacho
3rd December 2000, 13:42
Tai Sabaki (full body posture and motion) is vital to all martial arts, specially aikido. If your instructor is lacking or neglecting this practice, maybe you should begin looking elsewhere...It's true you can find help in books, but this should only complement what you learn in class!

autrelle
3rd December 2000, 15:17
good ashisabaki (footwork) is crucial for good taisabaki (body motion). the reat thing about aikido is that there isn't too much footwork to remember! as i practice aikido, there are five major ideas in footwork to learn, and they are all very natural motions:

1) the first is that you always move in hanmi/kamae. the preparatory posture ensures that you are using your body's power. always when you move, think of moving from hanmi into hanmi/kamae.

2) the second is simply advancing forward. whether you start in LH and move to RH, or you slide forward in LH and your feet don't change, this is generally called irimi.

3) the third is to pivot on your lead foot either 180? or 95? (depending on the style) to the side of your partner, so that if you start in LH, you finish in LH facing the opposite direction that you started in. this is generally called tenkan or tai no henka.

4) the fourth is simply that when in LH, without moving your feet, you turn your hips 180? and change to RH, facing the opposite direction. this is called zengo (i think!) but i like to use the terminology from the yoshinkan school here and simply call it a "shift."

5) the fifth is to move from LH to your own rear into RH, or slide to your rear ansd not changing your hanmi. both of these are done at a particular angle, never straight back. this is commonly referred to as "tenshin."

this is only what i do. and i'm probably wrong. ask your teacher about the issue. is your teacher knows weapons, there is a lot a footwork to be learned from kata. or if you want, you could buy a saito book. his books in my opinion area great for the clarity of footwork. have fun with your training.

truly

Gil Gillespie
3rd December 2000, 20:05
Darren: R&B music! Wow, a kindred spirit. Email me! Good post re: footwork.

Autrelle, when you say the neat thing about aikido is that there's not much emphasis on footwork you're way wide of the mark! Your ashisabaki breakdowns were interesting & largely correct but ignore specific footwork to specific waza, which is critical. A teacher who does not focus on that needs to be TAUGHT. Your footwork defines how and when your hips are engaged, and in Aikido that is nothing less than EVERYTHING.

autrelle
3rd December 2000, 23:06
what i meant to express was that numerically, there isn't a whole lot of footwork for a beginner to have to remember. of course footwork is at the root of good aikido. sorry for the confusion in my post. and yes, i did not mention any particular footwoork to specified waza; i though that would be a rather exhaustive post and something that's better off left to one's own teacher to explain. i agree wholeheartedly about your comments concerning foot placement and hip movement. thank you.
truly

Darren Yeow
3rd December 2000, 23:41
Thanks guys, as I am a beginner in Aikido, I am not sure what to have expected - I thought maybe it was emphasized later on in the higher stages or something.

Thanks Autrelle for the helpful information, and as you say, in the begininning stages there isn't as much foot work we have to remember.

Yeah, I remembered to ask sensei about foot placement this time, and he explained everything more clearly.

Hey there Gil, you listen to R&B as well? R. Kelly, Next, and all that stuff? I find it really nice background music...

ciao! DY

dainippon99
4th December 2000, 22:07
get a tomiki student (if available) to show you unsokou. It is a footwork/tai sabaki drill and is very helpful.

Mike Collins
4th December 2000, 23:00
I have a teacher (with what seems to me like perfect footwork), who says not to worry about where the feet should be, pay attention to the hips, and let the feet fall where they need to to support the hips. Otherwise, the thinking goes, the hips will follow the feet, rather than the feet following the hips. After a few years of this, I really like this way of moving, but I sometimes get befuddled when I'm asked where feet go. I honestly don't know most of the time until I do the movement myself.

The footwork tends to be very circular, but the hips are very mobile, and the base, while very strong is very adaptable.

It's easy to dismiss this idea (I did at first), but try it for a few months, and see if ya like it