PDA

View Full Version : Sumo Diet

gr455h0pp3r
12th February 2006, 04:23
Thanks to J.Svinth for his input on Sumo history. I was hoping maybe he could contribute to this thread aswell. I by no means wish for someone to (unless they wish to) completley explain this to me. I was just hoping to find out more about the Sumo diet and health, I am quite interested in Sumo right now. I have read that dispite flabby first glances, the sumo only has a slight layer of flab over what is actually quite a muscular body. Their training is gruelling and they eat large serves of high calorie Japanese Cusine. I also believe they spend alot of time at lower ranks running errands for higher ranking Sumo. Is all this true? Also could somebody explain the idea behind basic sumo technique ? In the thread "Sumo History" it was posted that origionally it was just belt grips that determined the technique, but what was the technique? furthermore, later pushing and pulling was introducted, how does this change the techniques? Too me it seems like an almost opposite of Jujutsu. Any thruth to this? Also I read that Sumo training was used by the Japanese Warrior as a way of enhancing his prowess. Sumo is strictly a sport right? Its applications have no use in Battle right? Even though I can imagine the fear provoked inside at the sight of an enraged unnarmed giant running at you. I apolagise if what I have put forth is entirley inaccurate as I am no authority on Sumo I am just interested and noticed the lack on information on this forum.

Jock Armstrong
16th February 2006, 10:48
Thats because sumo is not a budo as such. It is part sport, part cultural treasure and incredibly popular in Japan- but it is not budo.

Brian Owens
16th February 2006, 12:33
...I was just hoping to find out more about the Sumo diet and health, I am quite interested in Sumo right now. I have read that dispite flabby first glances, the sumo only has a slight layer of flab over what is actually quite a muscular body. Their training is gruelling and they eat large serves of high calorie Japanese Cusine.
While some rikishi (the name for sumo wrestlers; sumo is the sport, not the men) may have only a "slight layer of flab" most of the larger ones have very high bodyfat percentages.

They get as large as they do for the same reason anyone of large size gets that way: they take in more calories than they expend. Because of the physical training they do, they burn a lot of calories, so they must eat a huge amount, right?

They sure do. One dietitian who analyzed a rikishi's one-day calorie intake found that he had eaten almost 20,000 calories. That's 10 times what the American Diabetes Association recommends for a moderately active man.

But size isn't all that matters. A good lean-mass ratio is important too. There has to be enough muscle under all that fat to give them the power to move themselves and their opponents; so they have to follow a balanced diet to reach the right physical condition for sumo matches. They may eat six meals daily, often including chanko nabe, a high-calorie stew made with chicken, fish, prawns, tofu, beansprouts, cabbage, onions, and other vegetables. They will usually eat several bowls of chanko nabe and several bowls of rice at each sitting.

Another popular dish among rikishi (and others, of course), is chirashizushi; essentially a bowl of sushi rice topped with assorted tidbits.

One reason for the high bodyfat-percentage, according to several reports I have read, is that the two main meals, lunch and dinner, are followed by sleep; a long nap after the mid-day meal, and a good night's sleep immediately after dinner. Sleeping right after eating causes elevated blood glucose levels -- hyperglycemia -- which triggers high insulin levels, which triggers fat storage. (Insulin isn't just the sugar-burning hormone. It's also the fat storing hormone.)

I hope there's enough food for thought here (pun intended) to get you started.

Andrew S
16th February 2006, 20:00
Brian,

I've read a bit about sumo and even worked with a former sumotori. My sources say they (or at least the ones below sekitori) generally eat only two meals a day. Training on an empty stomach apparently puts the body into "starvation mode", which then tells it to store more calories.
They also sleep during the afternoon. Given that many of the new kids (aged about 16) haven't stopped growing, the train-eat-sleep pattern stimulates growth hormones and encourages more fat storage.

Brian Owens
17th February 2006, 02:55
...I've read a bit about sumo and even worked with a former sumotori. My sources say they...generally eat only two meals a day.

They also sleep during the afternoon.

...the two main meals, lunch and dinner, are followed by sleep; a long nap after the mid-day meal, and a good night's sleep immediately after dinner. Sleeping right after eating causes elevated blood glucose levels -- hyperglycemia -- which triggers high insulin levels, which triggers fat storage. (Insulin isn't just the sugar-burning hormone. It's also the fat storing hormone.)
Our sources are in almost perfect agreement it seems.

Andrew S
17th February 2006, 05:35
Incidently, sumotori refer to everthing they eat as "Chanko". Basically, they'll ask "What's todays chanko?" instead of "What's for lunch?".

Chanko for thought...

Brian Owens
17th February 2006, 07:13
...Chanko for thought...
I hear that Wakanohana, like many retired sumotori, has opened a chanko restaurant.

Also, I found this picture of chanko nabe prior to cooking; I thought it would be of interest for this thread.