PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Yagyu Shinkage Ryu

muto_no_ki
13th February 2006, 07:33
Good morning!

Yes I know it is very rude to ask for your help so often.

I am studying Nihon-go no benkyou ( donŽt know how to write it in English ) in Frankfurt Germany. Fortunatelly I expect to go to japan in 2007. IŽll stay there for allmost I month. It would be great to train japanese martial arts in its homeland. Could you give me some information in which koryu dojos gaijin are "allowed". My biggest wish would be, to study Yagyu Shinkage Ryu ( or related swordarts ).

Greetings!

Christoph [Winnefeld]

paul manogue
13th February 2006, 16:57
Christoph,

Since you will be studying japanese language (nihongo no benkyo) for only a month in Japan it is very unlikely you will be able to train in any koryu. As you said you will be there less than a month, say 3 weeks, even if they meet 3 times a week, and you can make every class thats only 9 classes.

My recommendation is to re-post stating where you will be in Japan and seeing if anyone can provide an introduction or information so you can go observe some different arts instead of training in them.

muto_no_ki
16th February 2006, 15:59
Hello!

Thx for your quick answer. Well I know that I wonŽt be able to study Shinkage Ryu serriosly, when IŽm there for just a month. Acctually I want to get to know the dojos which teach Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. In 2008 IŽll stay in japan for 1,5 years, so it would be helpfull for me, to know where I want to train. Where can I find Yagyu Shinkage Ryu dojos?

Greetings
Chris

paul manogue
20th February 2006, 13:14
Different branches of the yagyu ryu are still available in different parts of Japan, my group is in Osaka, there is another somewhere in Nara, the main lineage is in Nagoya, and there is a large group in Tokyo.
I would check out www.koryu.com, I think Meik has some info on the yagyu kai there, they also have a all japanese language website but I do not know the site name.

But again, you seem to know how long you'll be there, but not where. You would be better off finding a place to live, then finding out what is available there.

muto_no_ki
20th February 2006, 14:16
Thanks for your answer! Greetings from Germany!

Christoph