PDA

View Full Version : Jinenkan Combat strategy and principles

Rolling Elbow
3rd December 2000, 20:24
First off, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Manaka Sensei for taking the time out to contribute to this forum and answer our questions.

My question deals primarily with the structure of what is taught in the Jinenkan. How do the Jinenkan and Manaka Sensei in particual, differ in their approach to training for free flowing, street combat applications of the art. Are attacks or strategies discussed in terms of their effectiveness or ineffectiveness against boxers, thai kick-boxers, wrestlers etc..? Or is there a concentration on engraining the basics strictly as taught in a formal, traditional manner within a set curriculum. Is there flexibility in this regard?

Furthermore, I wondered if Manaka Sensei might shed some light on some of the basic differences he sees between the Jinekan, Bujinkan, and Genbukan. This can be either philosophical, physical, or in their approaches to training.

Thank you for your time.

Fumio Manaka
5th December 2000, 14:29
Responses to all the different types of attacks you mentioned and more are included in the way we train in the Jinenkan, particularly in the kata of each Ryu-ha. But yes, I concentrate on the teaching the basics, for everybody from beginners up. The basics are the most important techniques of all, and that is why they are taught as the basics. If students learn the real basics (punching, kicking, ukemi, and Kihon Happo) thoroughly, that is more than enough to be able to fight effectively.

As to your question about differences between the Jinenkan and the Bujinkan and Genbukan, I know nothing about the Genbukan, and I don't really know anything about the Bujinkan in recent years either.

Manaka Unsui