PDA

View Full Version : sword or ANY budo arts in KY?

j_cummings
22nd February 2006, 03:00
The title says it all. Kentucky isn't exactly the Martial Arts center of the U.S. and it's fairly hard to find a decent school to train at, for me anyway. I would really just like to find a dojo or instructor where(or from whom) I could learn traditional Budo. Let me know if there are any out there. thnx)

Brian Owens
23rd February 2006, 06:29
Where are you in Kentucky?

I'll have to look around for sword-related arts, but I know there is Karate-do, Aikido, Judo, etc. in Louisville, Lexington, Florence, Erlanger, South Williamson, etc.

I think the Bujinkan has a branch or branches in Kentucky as well.

If you narrow the location down a bit I'll see what I can find.

George Kohler
23rd February 2006, 06:32
I believe there is Hontai Yoshin-ryu in Louisville.

NathanH
23rd February 2006, 16:54
Looks like you can find Kendo in a couple of places in Kentucky--Lexington, Covington, and Louisville. Sakagawa-sensei of Louisville was very inspiring in his matches at the Detroit Kendo Tournament last weekend.

For contact information check the All US Kendo Federation's Dojo List:
http://www.auskf.info/mainpages/States/HIJKL_States.htm

C. Sampson
23rd February 2006, 17:35
This may not be close to you, but there is a Kendo class at Shawnee State University in Portsmouth OH on Friday evenings for free. Can't remember the class time though.

It is taught by Dr. Inoshita (sp?).

My wife was a member of that dojo for a while when she went to school there.

Good Luck!!

j_cummings
1st March 2006, 22:07
All seem worth checking out. I live between Bowling Green and Louisville, in Western KY so Ohio is too far a drive but I appreciate the response. If any other places are out there let me know, but I have a place to start from now.