PDA

View Full Version : Can Menuki Be replaced easly?

allochi
25th February 2006, 12:16
Hi;

I'm ordering my iaito maybe by the end of this month, and one thing came to my mind is, how easy to personally replace some items in the future, it's not that I will do full tsukamaki, but I was wondering if I can replace Menuki, somehow I imagine that if I try to remove it it can ruin the tsukamaki.

Advise? :)

Regards

Maro
25th February 2006, 13:43
Not really - it's pretty much a re-wrap job.

allochi
25th February 2006, 14:42
yes, I thought so :(, so it's better to choose the one I want, although how much a reWrap would cost? good one? :) just incase if I want to do so in the future.

Brian Owens
1st March 2006, 12:24
Finding someone locally who can do tsukamaki isn't always possible, so searching the Internet for distant persons that do it may be worth your while.

Another possiblity is to learn to do it youself, and practice, practice, practice until the time comes that you need to do it. (Get ready for a shock, though. Wrapping an 11-inch tsuka in one of the more common wrapping styles could take more than 15 feet of ito!)

Here's one Web page on the topic: Tsuka Maki: The Art of Japanese Sword Restoration. (http://pages.prodigy.net/tlbuck/tsuka/tsuka.htm)

HTH.

[Edit] BTW, please remember to sign all your posts with your real name. You can also add your name automatically by going to your User Control Panel. Go to the "Help" forum if you need assistance or have any questions on this. Thanks.