PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean the Tsuka-ito

Light Bearer
25th February 2006, 12:40
I have just purchased a good iaito from ebay but the Tsuka-ito is a little on the grubby side.

Can anyone tell me the best way to clean the ito with out causing damage?

:karatekid

paradoxbox
27th February 2006, 00:25
Depends on the maki material. If it's cotton, any good dry cleaning fluid meant for cotton will do it, just put it on some cotton swabs and have at it.. Don't get it on the same. If it's silk or leather, well you'll have to try something else.

Cebu
27th February 2006, 01:26
On silk, I've used a soft bristle toothbrush. Dip it lightly in Woolite and flick off excess. Work the brush over the tsukaito and rub down and dry with a bath towel. Does a pretty good job of restoration. Not "new" but certainly better looking than when I started.

Brian Owens
28th February 2006, 04:56
On silk, I've used a soft bristle toothbrush. Dip it lightly in Woolite and flick off excess. Work the brush over the tsukaito and rub down and dry with a bath towel.
That was going to be my suggestion, as well. Even on cotton I'll use Woolite rather than perc or other dry cleaning fluid.

Don't get things too wet, because many tsuka don't have a full same wrap, but just two narrow panels of it, and you don't want excess water getting trapped against the wood under the same.

My current iaito has leather ito, and I'll use saddle soap and a leather conditioner (available at most shoe stores) when it comes time.