PDA

View Full Version : ettiquette?

rottunpunk
5th March 2006, 13:32
not sure this belongs in this section, so forgive me if its out of place.

im thinking of stuff for future iai grading essays and this question came up so i thought i might quiz you guys on it if thats ok?

If you were a visitor or a guest in a club (not teaching just training) where abouts would you line up for bowing etc.?
right at the bottom, at the bottom of ones own grades, or your grade place?
im guessing its for the sensei or instructor to invite you to your position in the line, is this correct?

suppose that the person has already sought permission off the teacher to join in as would be expected ettiquette anyways, or the alternative, that they have just turned up to train but have already got a recognised grade.
:p

mews
5th March 2006, 13:52
for me:

Same style - bottom of my rank

Different style - bottom of the line

mew

Cebu
5th March 2006, 15:58
Personally, I think I'd ask sempai. Aside from that I'd line up at the back of the class/end of the line. The sensei would surely correct you if necessary. It'd certainly be better to be invited up, than told to step down.

JamesD
5th March 2006, 18:58
I'd do what Cebu said.

Of course, if I were in town I'd either call the place or visit ahead of time, explain my backgroud and go from there (this would apply to an Aikido dojo).

Otherwise, beginners end of the line and let the instructor move me up.

Blackwood
5th March 2006, 21:10
Yeah, always better to go junior than senior. If of the same style, I'd line up below the others (unless I happen to know where I fall in amongst the others, which isn't too hard since I know who tested before me).

If the school is another style, I'd be likely have a white belt in my bag and go that route unless specifically authorized to wear my rank in another style.

rottunpunk
6th March 2006, 16:24
hmmn they were my thoughts as well.
thanks for the advice guys.
:p

slappymcdoobry2
16th March 2006, 16:10
as an instructor, i always like to know if i have a visiting grade training. What i would then normally do is figure out
1) are they from the same style - then they line up with their grade level
2) different but similar style - bottom of the grade level
3) invited guest who is training as a one off but is a high dan grade - beside me (keep an eye on them that way!)
4) different style/different MA - with the beginners
The key thing is be open and honest with the instructor and if their ego isn't large they will just be pleased you showed up if your willing to learn.

James Hourihan

gendzwil
16th March 2006, 16:30
Deborah, iaido and kendo are a little bit different in that we can't easily determine where we belong in line. So when visiting, just line up at the bottom. If they ask you to move, that's fine, if they don't it isn't a big deal.

When we have our seminar, there's 70 or 80 people lining up on the student side and except for whoever is calling the commands, everyone just lines up whereever they line up. Way too much hassle to sort out who belongs where.

Clubs that wear coloured belts are a different story. In my judo club, a visiting judoka would line up with the appropriate coloured belt. If he's from another style he would of course line up with the white belts.