PDA

View Full Version : Post 911 - Air Travel question.

CEB
8th March 2006, 16:32
Is it OK to take kama with you as checked luggage on airline flights? I know you can't take them as carry-on..... I figured I would tape the blades and send put them an equipment bag with my other stuff. Thanks

Charlie Mc.
8th March 2006, 19:58
It should be. I have traveled with swords. Just don't lock your bags and tell them at the counter that you are traveling with Martial Arts training equipment. When i flew they had no problem with it.

dsomers
8th March 2006, 21:52
Ed,

When we came back from Oki, we had all sorts of equipment that we bought at Shureido, it was never a problem. I think in Japan they are used to it though. I've also seen people at the airport w/ Iaito, as well. Goin to Oki? Just be prepared, they might wanna dig thru your stuff though. In Osaka they made more big of a deal out of a can of shaving cream, thinking it might be a bomb, then any weapons. Also, I know some guys that flew across the US for the Batto Tai Kai, & they were very upset, cause the backage handlers took their blades out, got finger prints all over them, & thru them around, just to prepare you, of things to (possiblly) come.

David

CEB
10th March 2006, 14:44
Thanks everyone.

Rob Alvelais
13th March 2006, 20:17
I have heard that if you bring a magnet, you'll have an easier time clearing your Iaito through inspections at the Japanese airport. The magnet wont stick to nickel alloy magnet, I'm tolld.

Rob

Ed,

When we came back from Oki, we had all sorts of equipment that we bought at Shureido, it was never a problem. I think in Japan they are used to it though. I've also seen people at the airport w/ Iaito, as well. Goin to Oki? Just be prepared, they might wanna dig thru your stuff though. In Osaka they made more big of a deal out of a can of shaving cream, thinking it might be a bomb, then any weapons. Also, I know some guys that flew across the US for the Batto Tai Kai, & they were very upset, cause the backage handlers took their blades out, got finger prints all over them, & thru them around, just to prepare you, of things to (possiblly) come.

David

deaddoll
23rd March 2006, 07:29
I have travelled with alsorts of weapons in checked in bagged,but always wrapped and always with my licence and copies of Grading certificates.

Be aware though that if you are entering a country or state where that item is illegal it might get taken from you...
I had a pair of Tuifa in South Africa where the x-ray made them look like Sawn offs ,once the security realised they were not it was ok.

TimJurgens
12th April 2006, 15:54
I have flown in and out of Japan with an Iai to, bo, sai, tonfa, nunchakku, tekko, tinbe & rochin and had no problems. Had to pay for excess baggat going to the PI though because of weight.

Carried the Tinbe as carry on on the way back to keep checked bagage light. They kept asking what it was and I told them it was a shield. They scratched their heads and let it through. Weapons are a problem but armor is OK I guess.