PDA

View Full Version : Iaito for a beginner.

a_d_sanders
14th March 2006, 09:02
Hi,

I wish to get my first Iaito but am having some problems finding out details about specific items.

Could someone explain what the "semi-sharp" on ninecircles' nami range (http://www.ninecircles.co.uk/product_details.asp?ProdID=56&CatID=21) means? I'm really keen to get one of these Iaito as I am in the UK. However, the semi-sharp label is currently putting me off.

Does anyone have any other comments about this particular range?

Alternatively, I may go for an Iaito from Tozando. Does any one have any thoughts about the Yamashiro Series (specifically the Kikuka Koshirae (http://www.tozando.com/iaito/nt206.html) iaito).

Finally, any other iaito related advice is welcome :)

Thanks

Andy Sanders

PS. Sorry if these sort of questions belong in the 'Clothing and Supplies' thread.

a_d_sanders
14th March 2006, 09:05
I've just noticed the Sword Craft and Sword Questions (http://www.e-budo.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=133) sub-forum.

Would a moderator please be able to rel-locate this post?

Sorry about that,

Andy Sanders

14th March 2006, 11:03
Mr Sanders,

I wouldn't worry about an iaito being "semi-sharp". I have a "semi-sharp" iaito from Nine Circles and it would be better to call it "less blunt". You're in no danger of cutting yourself with one of those swords unless you stab yourself pretty hard during noto...the tip can be sharp-ish.

I can't comment on the Nami range but I think the Tojuko swords are good. The koshirae are certainly more reliable than some ranges I've seen. I had a problem with my first blade which grew worse after owning it for several months, and it was replaced at no charge as it wasn't due to faulty use.

The only bad point, I think, is that the koiguchi tends to be quite loose. This problem is easily solved with a sliver of wood & rice glue... you can look up the repair details on the internet or ask someone in your club.

Overall Nine Circles are a good company with good products, and a friendly attitude towards customers. I buy most of my equipment from them.

As for length, etc, it's best to ask your teacher.

Fred27
14th March 2006, 11:29
Mr Sanders,

Overall Nine Circles are a good company with good products, and a friendly attitude towards customers. I buy most of my equipment from them.

I second that, I bought my jodo-clothing from them along with my kodachi and shoto. Great prices and great customer-service. :p

gendzwil
14th March 2006, 15:19
First and foremost, ask your instructor what you need.

Many people buy the low-end stuff from Tozando for their first blade.

If you want to spend a bit more cash, swordstore.com comes highly recommended.

eurobogu.net handles Koei stuff, and I believe some of the iaito are the same or comparable models to Tozando.

For every good recommendation on Nine Circles I've heard, I've heard a bad one. So go cautiously with them.

a_d_sanders
14th March 2006, 15:51
Thanks for all the advice.

Ninecircles finally got back to me regarding the "semi-sharp" blade:

The term ‘Semi Sharp’ is a little misleading, it is a translation from the Japanese ‘Usu Ha’, which literally means thin edge. It basically denotes that the edge of the blade comes to a thinner edge than is usually supplied on Iaito blades. The blades are in no way sharp, nor can they be sharpened due to the nature of the alloy from which they are made.

So, I ordered one. :)

Gendzwill, I appreciate the recomendation for caution. I've mostly heard good things about ninecircles, but the point that really made my mind up is their location. That they are in the UK is very helpful for: a) avoiding import duty and b) the ability to visit them in person if there are any problems.

Any way, thanks again for the advice.

Maybe in ten years time, I'll be able to help a newbie :)

Cheers,

Andy

Jean Binck
14th March 2006, 19:26
I cannot comment about the Nami range, but I use a Nine Circles tokujo range Iaito for about 2 years of Iai training and everything is perfect and rock solid.

My clothing came also from Nine Circles and I always appreciated their kind and efficient service.

Chidokan
14th March 2006, 19:58
One thing I noticed on the Nami range is that the kurigata is too far down the saya and spoils the noto/ nukitsuke on the shorter swords ( 2.3 and below) There are a couple in my class... the longer one, 2.5, is fine on this, although I personally dont like the tsuka on any of them much. I do intend to move them shortly when I get some time. I am guessing there are standard tsuka and saya and they just shorten the blade rather than look at the overall package, as the short blade tsuka is the same size as the longer one. Unfortunate for the girl who bought it as she has small hands...I am in the process of making a new tsuka for her.

Iai-nut
15th March 2006, 03:56
One company that doesn't seem to get enough attention is:

www.jidai.jp

I have ordered from them in the past, and the customer service/quality control were both excellent. :)

Jean Binck
15th March 2006, 10:51
One thing I noticed on the Nami range is that the kurigata is too far down the saya and spoils the noto/ nukitsuke on the shorter swords ( 2.3 and below) There are a couple in my class... the longer one, 2.5, is fine on this, although I personally dont like the tsuka on any of them much. I do intend to move them shortly when I get some time. I am guessing there are standard tsuka and saya and they just shorten the blade rather than look at the overall package, as the short blade tsuka is the same size as the longer one. Unfortunate for the girl who bought it as she has small hands...I am in the process of making a new tsuka for her.

I got recently a leaflet from Nine Circles telling that in order to provide their basic range in the shorter delay, they get the standard parts in bulk and they assemble the Iaito in their premise in UK following the customer requirements.
This may explain the problems you had to deal with.

Chidokan
16th March 2006, 20:34
she got it as a Xmas present from parents who 'just ordered it'... so that would explain it. Minor problems I can solve, so no big deal. Quite quick on delivery apparently as they were in stock. I have heard there has been a shortage of japanese made iaito last year due to one of the main blade makers being ill, which may explain some of the delays we saw no matter who you ordered from!

Fred27
16th March 2006, 20:54
Just a general purchase-tip: be wary of taxes, toll and whatever other fee's that will add to the total amount paid for whatever you buy. :)

Jean Binck
16th March 2006, 23:32
Just a general purchase-tip: be wary of taxes, toll and whatever other fee's that will add to the total amount paid for whatever you buy. :)

Yes indeed. In Belgium you may pay about 30% more for taxes, fees etc. for an import from Japan. It all depend if you are the "happy" winner of the custom random check or not!

Fred27
17th March 2006, 19:48
Yes indeed. In Belgium you may pay about 30% more for taxes, fees etc. for an import from Japan. It all depend if you are the "happy" winner of the custom random check or not!

Last month I was the "happy" winner when I ordered a few iaito-accessories from Tozando. :(