PDA

View Full Version : Ty-Ga Kenpo Jujitsu International

T Bygraves
17th March 2006, 17:29
Hi, all a bit over welmed its a big site. I was wondering if you could help me. I saw them advertised in a local sports centre and wondered if anyone had heard of them.

www.zenkenpo.com

Andrew S
18th March 2006, 22:29
Here might be a good place to start.
http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25885&highlight=Ty+Ga

Andrew S
18th March 2006, 22:43
Incidentally, I recall this guy having ads for Ty- Ga Karate in a British Magazine Traditional Karate, back in the early 90's. I seem to remember he was plugged as a 6th dan back then. I also recall a couple of quotes from the material, as it seemed a bit over the top.
1) "It's easy to do low kicks if you can do high kicks." (Part of the advertising was "see and learn incredible flexibility")
2) "It's nice to see someone getting promoted for ability rather than age." (Implication: Harlem should be crawling with 10th dans)

A quick visit to the karate site gave no training history, no history of the style, just lots of titles and awards. Given that some of the current crop of 8th and 9th dans were training before this guy was born, I suspect this thread belongs in Baffling Budo.

Prince Loeffler
18th March 2006, 23:53
I suspect this thread belongs in Baffling Budo.

You got my vote "aye" for this site Andrew ! :)

T Bygraves
20th March 2006, 15:26
I had a read of that thread, but the general gist seems to suggest he had the skills of a 5th dan but claimed 10th dan. By this i am puzzled, can people do that?
After looking at their web pages for a while i stumbled across this link to an event they are running.
http://www.clearwinner.com/jujitsu/temppix/gathering%20of%20masters.jpg

If he is only a 5th dan (or 10th dan) who are the others? and is £25 a lot for a seminar or is it reasonable?
Also, does that mean we have to half the grades of the others teaching to get a true reflection?
5th dan
5th dan
3.5 dan (round up or down)
3rd dan

Really puzzled now

lugal
24th February 2007, 15:20
Hi All

I just wanted to add some info on Gary Wasniewski's Ty-Ga Karate (If anyone was still interested!) and his Dan gradings.
The last physical GRADING he took was 5th Dan sometime in 1989 if I recall correctly. I was told by Gary Wasniewski (UK only?) that after that ALL grades (6, 7, 8 etc. Dans) are AWARDED on merit/devotion to the Arts and no further grading or physical testing is required. 6th Dan was awarded to him in 1996/7(?) and the last OFFICAL grading he was awarded was 7th Dan.
ALL those grades were/are recognized from various official English Karate Bodies such as EKC EKB MAC etc. (some of the no longer active, but at the time were "The Management") and I was told (by GW again!) the corresponding Japanese groups would recognize them as well.
From about 2003 Ty-Ga's promotional material had him as a "7th/10th Dan" Shihan (some indecision over whether to go all out with his own Grand Mastership?) and now he is of course 10th Dan according to World Head of Family Sokeship Council!
This "organization" will recognize you for a humble fee to be a Soke (Grand Master) in your OWN style as long as you recognize ALL of them (everybody who joins the WHFSC) as Sokes (10th Dan GM) as well, cue lots of back slapping, self congratulating and traveling the Globe to give seminars to each other (another requirement) for a small profit, I notice some of the more modest members only give themselves a 9th Dan (perhaps waiting for Christmas?) while still being a Grand Master in their own style.
It is a Wado based style - (the original Logo included the Dove-Fist symbol) that renamed the Pinan Katas Nidan, Shodan etc. to Ty-Ga Nidan, Ty-Ga Shodan to further distance itself from Wado-Ryu in the Early 90's, all Katas are done at full speed and power.
Any claims of Dan gradings in "other" styles are based upon being recognized by similar striking styles and not a profound knowledge of Kata or other techniques and methods.
Gary Wasniewski was a successful competition Karate fighter in the late 1970's - early '80's in Semi-contact WUKO stuff, known for his kicking ability. Ticky Donovan could attest to that.
The 10K clash competition featured Ty-Ga Karate National Kumite Team Coach Tony Leslie 5th Dan (the Ty-Ga website has him training for 21 years but 1989/90 is when I remember him joining) himself a 5 times Ty-Ga national champion - he was Beaten by Scottish Karate-man Scott Gemmell 8-0.
someone mentioned TKD, which is apt as Ty-Ga prides itself on Kicking ability, although high kicking is utilized more than jumping/flying kicks. Traditional Karate-Ka will also compare the 2 styles by saying they have no "core" and are sport orientated.
I could ramble on for several more paragraphs, my initial reason for writing was to post some facts on Ty-Ga Karate. I take nothing away from Sensei (how I knew him) Gary Wasniewski's abilities as a Karate-Ka. His kicks are very fast and powerful. He was an inspirational teacher when I trained under him for a number of years (a long time ago) and a decent human being.
As for Dan Gradings, the man I first met in 1986 was seemingly happy to be called "Gary" by all his students. It was sometime in 1988 he made a point of instructing senior students to call him Sensei.

Oss