PDA

View Full Version : Flooring

Obayashi
23rd March 2006, 17:30
I've been renovating my house quite a bit lately, and seeing as I have had nothing to do, but look at flooring... I've been thinking about flooring for dojos. And during this I seen a new type of hardwood flooring, I don't if it's new - just new to myself, bamboo hardwood flooring. Does anyone think this would be better then using regular hardwood flooring for Kendo and Naginata-do? Budo that requires supple flooring for Fumi Komi Ashi? The only downside I could think of was that Bamboo would need to be replaced sooner then regular hardwood.

And another type of flooring I was thinking about, how is Tatami versus Mats for Aikido, Judo, and related arts that required mats for falling?

If anyone could spare some information, or similar thoughts. I would be most grateful.

gendzwil
23rd March 2006, 18:35
For kendo, I think it's the support structure more than the species of wood that matters. If you lay your wood straight over concrete, you'll have a problem no matter what kind.

Black and Blue
23rd March 2006, 22:55
For our dojo we used plywood with a block foundation. We filled gaps and cracks etc, sanded it down, then covered it with a coating used on basketball courts. This type of surface has a live feel to it plus it looks nice when finished. Its held up under heavy traffic for ten years and still looks good.Check out:
www.delawarebudokan.org go to dojo photos.
Phil Scudieri

yoj
24th March 2006, 01:43
I've seen the bamboo floor, it's in a students kitchen, its pretty hard, I wouldn't consider it a soft option, just a cheaper growing option, looks nice though!

kenkyusha
24th March 2006, 04:01
When my mother built her house, she used pigmented concrete for the bulk of the structure (poured over tubing for radiant heat), but chose cork for the kitchen area... nice to stand on, and rather handsome too. No idea how well it'll stand-up to heated keiko though...

Be well,
Jigme

Brian Owens
24th March 2006, 06:14
...And another type of flooring I was thinking about, how is Tatami versus Mats for Aikido, Judo, and related arts that required mats for falling?
Tatami was what was used in the old days. The problems are: they're porous, so moisture/rot/mildew, pests, etc. can be a problem; and they don't last very long, and can be expensive to replace. They look traditional, though, and can add a nice ambiance. One idea would be to use modern tatami-style mats for the main floor area, and true tatami for the shomen/kamiza or other special area.

Swain and Zebra are two companies that offer various mats in a tatami size/shape (90cm X 180cm, I think).