PDA

View Full Version : Think you know your booze? Quiz

Neil Yamamoto
24th March 2006, 00:06
All right, too darn quiet in here. Time for Neil’s Booze trivia game.

This is not about no wine, so no whining. It’s about hard alcohol (mostly), the stuff guys drink when they want to make a woman look good or forget the woman with no teeth and the glass eye that they woke up with this last weekend. It’s what women drink when they want to make a guy look better or forget the guy who drank their glass eye from the water glass by the side of the bed last weekend. The stuff you slam from a shot glass or the good stuff you sip and savor while looking at swords as do people like Keith Larman and Ted Tenold.

There are fabulous prizes to be won. Perhaps a dream date in Atlantic City with Glamorous Scotch models Cady Goldfield and Margret Lo. Maybe a chance to personally experience how blades were tested in the old days with Tony Alvarez, Dave Neely, and Paul Smith. Or a chance to watch Keith Larman or Ted Tenold polishing (off a bottle of sake.)

For those into more gendai arts, Perhaps a chance to discuss judo history and boxing history with Joe Svinth and Mark Feigenbaum. Bet you guys didn’t know Joe and Mark are big boxing fans too. Or perhaps a chance to breathe in the heady aroma of the Tuesday night bad budo club dojo with Aaron Fields or me and partake of whisky and beers after. (Providing you don’t pass out from the dojo odor first).

Keep your answers short and PM or email to me, a sentence or four will answer most of these. Don’t post answers on the forum please! I’ll just delete them if ya do. I'll post scores when I'm done grading!

Get 90% or higher on your score and you can even add to your signature the title of Official Booze mokuroku directly transmitted from the Booze Master once I post your results on the forum. Again, don’t post answers on the forum please, email or PM me.

Disclaimer: All prizes are all dependent upon you winning the quiz with the highest score and being willing to spend your own money for all travel expenses to be in the same place as the people mentioned and pay for all their travel expenses as well. Of course, This prize also earns you the honor of buying them an expensive dinner and numerous drinks as well. All legal and medical expenses, criminal charges, angry strippers and encounters with men and women of lesser morals are your own problem. e-budo.com and all connected to the e-budo forums take no responsibility for the results of your debauchery and immoral behavior. Besides, these prizes don't really exist!!

This is a long test, 50 questions, Here are the first 25. Two points each question.

OK, ready? Oh, did I mention “Don’t post answers on the forum please”, email or PM me. You will find my email in my profile.

1. Who was the original “Old Grand Dad”?

2. Why is oak usually preferred for casks when aging hard alcohol?

3. When discussing Bourbon whiskey, what is the difference between a ‘straight whiskey’ and a ‘bottled in bond’ whiskey?

4. What is the difference between a single malt whisky and a pure malt/vatted whisky?

5. What is a pot still?

6. What is a continuous still?

7. Name two theories on the still and the country of origin.

8. Which distillery takes pride in it’s founder being one of the first Government licensed distillers and having fought battles with his bootlegging neighbors with pistols given to him by the Laird of Abelour? Name the distillery and founder.

9. Speaking of Abelour, what does this translate to in English?

10. What does “Sour Mash” mean?

11. Who is given credit for being the first to make large scale use of the sour mash process in America?

12. George Washington used run a distillery on his Mt Vernon property. It’s said he made $7500 a year when the distillery was at peak production in 1799. That’s about $82,000 now. What mashbill did he use based on research done via George’s own notes?

13. Rum is made from what? There are two (three if you want to split hairs) correct answers.

14. What is the distinction between Rum Agricole and Rum Industriel?

15. What was just built in the Presqu'île Sauvage? Why is it somewhat unique?

16. The growth of Scotch whisky in Great Britain, as well as for export, was partially due to what event in France in the 1870’s?

17. Besides heat distillation, there is another way to increase the alcohol % from a beer or wine. How is this accomplished?

18. How does awamori differ from sake? There are two answers, one pertains to the ingredients and one to production method.

19. What distillery has an old revolver displayed in the office and why is it there?

20. Japanese firms own a few distilleries in Scotland. Name the distilleries and the Japanese companies that own them.

21. Absinthe is commonly associated with a type of wood. What was this wood used for in medicinal treatments?

22. Name the only California made rye whiskey on the market.

23. The Buena Vista in San Francisco is generally credited for what drink?

24. Akavit or Aquavit is typically and most commonly flavored with what? And what does the term “Linie” in conjunction with Akavit mean?

25. Middleton Distillery produces a large number of brands of Irish Whiskey. Name 5 of these brands of whiskey and one brand of gin, one brand of vodka produced here as well.

RobertRousselot
24th March 2006, 01:09
5. What is a pot still?

11. Who is given credit for being the first to make large scale use of the sour mash process in America?

20. Japanese firms own a few distilleries in Scotland. Name the distilleries and the Japanese companies that own them.

21. Absinthe is commonly associated with a type of wood. What was this wood used for in medicinal treatments?

OK, I’ll start off on a few.

5) It’s the thing sittin behind my house makin' my "shine".
11) Jack Daniels
20) Chivas Regal?? Suntory??
21) Worm Wood, calms nerves.....or does it calm the "Green Fairies"? I can't recall.

Neil Yamamoto
24th March 2006, 18:45
Aw, Robert, don't post answers on the forum!!

Anyway, Robert is wrong on those answers. I'll give him points for the pot still answer anyway just because it was funny. 2points!

MikeWilliams
24th March 2006, 19:16
Those are some hard questions.

The only thing I know for certain is that I am now very thirsty.

Kotev
7th June 2006, 21:10
Who won? I have been away for a while but I have not seen any Official Booze mokuroku titles added to signatures.

Most of these questions are much more advanced than a lightweight like me could muster. Still I want to know whe are the disciples of the Booze Master.

Also did the Booze Master's belt emit a powerful glow on 6/6/06 or did the Ki Bunnies rise up and take their revenge on your non-belief...

Cheers,
Stephen

Neil Yamamoto
13th June 2006, 20:30
Actually, no one has shown mastery of alcohol knowledge yet. A few have tried, best yet was 10 answers right of the 25 questions.

I held off on part II, as a result. May not even post it.

My Obi did glow briefly when we sacrificed a bottle of whisky to it. Other than that, it was quiet.

elder999
13th June 2006, 20:36
No tequila questions?-sniff!-I don't know that I'll bother......

Neil Yamamoto
13th June 2006, 21:07
Tequila questions are in Part II, so what the heck, if it will Make Aaron happy, I'll post them when I get a chance to find the file.

Neil Hawkins
16th June 2006, 14:37
Hey Neil,

I have to admit my ignorance, I thought I knew a thing or two, but couldn't do much with those questions.

Are you ever going to post the answers to put me out of my misery!!

Neil

Tri-ring
18th June 2006, 11:49
Tequila questions are in Part II, so what the heck, if it will Make Aaron happy, I'll post them when I get a chance to find the file.

Konbanwa

Before we go to the second part here is intermission entertainment from our sponsor. :beer:

AAA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkgV2-h0POQ)

K.Miwa

Neil Yamamoto
20th June 2006, 01:39
hmm, maybe too many questions or simply too much digging to qualify. I'll wait another couple weeks and start posting the answers for anyone interested.

Part II is posted for anyone up for a look, including a couple tequila questions.

Neil Yamamoto
30th August 2006, 00:54
1. Who was the original “Old Grand Dad”?
Basil Hayden

2. Why is oak usually preferred for casks when aging hard alcohol?
Oak is porous, so it facilitates the exchange of gases with the atmosphere. This makes it very suitable for aging alcohol. The gas exchange enriches the aging alcohol with wood components that are extracted by the alcohol, giving it distinctive odor and flavor notes, namely vanillin and ellagic acid (a wood breakdown product).

3. When discussing Bourbon whiskey, what is the difference between a ‘straight whiskey’ and a ‘bottled in bond’ whiskey?
Straight whiskey is a 100% made in a single distillery, like a single malt scotch. A bottled in bond whiskey is a 100 proof whiskey from a Government bonded warehouse. Bottled in Bond was a means to ensure quality control and make sure taxes were paid properly.

4. What is the difference between a single malt whisky and a pure malt/vatted whisky?
Single malt is made entirely in a single distillery. A pure malt/vatted whisky is all malt whisky but is usually made by combining single malt whiskies from a number of different distilleries to achieve a balance in flavors and aromas desired by the bottler.

5. What is a pot still?
A simple copper boiler with a condenser attached for extracting alcohol by heat. Can be small or enormous as in Irish and Scotch distilleries

6. What is a continuous still?
A single column still which is capable of completing the distillation process with steam in a single pass of the beer or wash.

7. Name two theories on the still and the country of origin.
From the Middle east – specifically, Persia and the second theory is from China. Originally stills were thought to have been used for making perfumes and medical uses.

8. Which distillery takes pride in it’s founder being one of the first Government licensed distillers and having fought battles with his bootlegging neighbors with pistols given to him by the Laird of Aberlour? Name the distillery and founder.
Glenlivet distillery and the founder is John Smith

9. Speaking of Aberlour, what does this translate to in English?
Mouth of the Chattering Burn

10. What does “Sour Mash” mean?
A portion of the previous mash bill, which has had all the sugars consumed by the yeast, hence is called ‘soured’, is added to the new batch to ensure quality and consistency from batch to batch. This prevents strange yeasts from possibly contaminating the fermenting mash and affecting flavors and aromas.

James Crow of the Old Crow distillery

12. George Washington used run a distillery on his Mt Vernon property. It’s said he made $7500 a year when the distillery was at peak production in 1799. That’s about $82,000 now. What mashbill did he use based on research done via George’s own notes?
Rye chiefly, and Indian Corn in a certain proportion, compose the materials from which the Whiskey is made

13. Rum is made from what? There are two (three if you want to split hairs) correct answers.
Sugar Cane - either juice or syrup, and Molasses

14. What is the distinction between Rum Agricole and Rum Industriel?
Agricole is made from sugar cane juice, freshly pressed, Industriel is made from molasses.

15. What was just built in the Presqu'île Sauvage? Why is it somewhat unique?
It’s the only Scotch style whisky distillery in France

16. The growth of Scotch whisky in Great Britain, as well as for export, was partially due to what event in France in the 1870’s?
Widespread Phylloxera infestation killed off the grape crops, impacting the manufacturing of brandies. Scotch and Irish Whiskies were bought to fill the market demand.

17. Besides heat distillation, there is another way to increase the alcohol % from a beer or wine. How is this accomplished?
Freezing the beer or wine, the alcohol does not freeze, and the ice is removed leaving behind a higher alcohol percent in the remaining liquid.

18. How does awamori differ from sake? There are two answers, one pertains to the ingredients and one to production method.
Awamori is distilled as opposed to fermented, awamori also uses grains other than rice in production.

19. What distillery has an old revolver displayed in the office and why is it there?
Maker’s Mark, The revolver belongs to the distillery manager, who is a descendent of the one of the members of the James Gang.

McCallan – Suntory (partial ownership)
Auchentoshen – Suntory
Bowmore – Suntory
Glen Garioch – Suntory
Ben Nevis – Suntory
Tomatin – Takara Shuzo & Okura
Ben Nevis – Nikka

Wormwood – used to kill parasites, treat stomach problems, heartburn, liver, cardiac stimulant, externally used for bruises, sprains as a topical analgesic.

22. Name the only California made rye whiskey on the market.
Old Potrero

23. The Buena Vista in San Francisco is generally credited for what drink?
Irish Coffee

24. Akavit or Aquavit is typically and most commonly flavored with what? And what does the term “Linie” in conjunction with Akavit mean?
Caraway seed is the primary flavoring. Linie means the akavit has crossed the equator or the “line”. A traditional means of aging, this means it’s aged for a guaranteed amount of time in a proper environment. Several companies maintain fleets of ships simply to carry akavit on ocean voyages across the equator to age properly.

25. Middleton Distillery produces a large number of brands of Irish Whiskey. Name 5 of these brands of whiskey and one brand of gin, one brand of vodka produced here as well.
Paddys, Jameson, Tullamore Dew, Powers, Hewitts, Dunphys, Middleton Very Rare, Paddy’s- Irish Whiskies. Cork Dry Gin, Huzzar Vodka