PDA

View Full Version : Presentation of shinken

Ken-Hawaii
24th March 2006, 07:06
I am looking for information on the correct protocol to present a custom-made tameshigiri shinken to our Sensei from the sempai in our dojo.

This is one of those multi-layered questions, as it includes everything from wrapping the sword in its case, rewrapping it with fusahimo in its brocade bag, knotting all the himo, & then the actual presentation. I've done quite a bit of Web browsing, but haven't been able to pin down precisely how this should be done.

The presentation is this Saturday, so I hope you all come through for me again, as you have so many other times :p!

Mahalo! (Thanks!)

J. L. Badgley
24th March 2006, 11:18
Is your sensei Japanese, or an American?

Are you asking 'How do you give someone (senior to you) a gift in Japan' or are you specifically asking about the sword?

The key is respect, imho. When I have seen presentations similar to this (in fact, a daisho was given to Niina-gosoke at the seminar before the West Coast Taikai) it usually happens at the end of class, just after the final rei. A senior person usually says: "Sensei, please wait just a moment, we have something we'd like to do/say/etc." Then the gift, which is conveniently within reach (or someone went rushing off to get it while another person made sure to ask sensei to remain seated) is brought forward.

Reiho for approaching sensei may differ depending on your dojo and the sensei. It never hurts to bow, or ask for permission to approach with your gift. Walk up in front and sit down in seiza. Say something about what the gift is (you don't have to tell him, if you want it to be a surprise) and hand it over to him, usually mentioning that it is rather unworthy (a stock Japanese phrase seems to be: "Chotto, tsumaranai-mono desu kedo..." [Well, this is nothing special, but...]). I would not take it out in front of him--let sensei do that. I would keep the edge pointed towards me, and the tsuka on my left--although different dojos may have different ways of indicating it is safe. I would put both hands underneath to give it 'up' to a superior, and bow when he takes it. He will probably admire it for a little period. Say something. Thank you and the sempai, and bow. This is your cue usually to bow and step back.

Okay, that's just how *I* would think to do it, based on my understanding of Japanese/budo/sword culture. Your dojo or ryuha culture may differ, though.

-Joshua B.

Chidokan
24th March 2006, 20:18
Our club was given a sword to remember our teacher by....it came in a brocade bag, inside a wooden box. It has writing on the box to the effect that its a present from him to us to remember him by, the name of the ryu, and the date given. This is the kept in a brocade bag to protect the box. It is set in pride of place near the dojo kamiza at each seminar. It was presented at the end of a seminar to the club senior teacher, so its sort of the reverse of what you are trying to do. Its a nnice thought whichever way it goes though.

Ken-Hawaii
25th March 2006, 00:13
Thank you for the ideas, Joshua & Chikodan. Maeda-Sensei is most definitely Japanese, & arrived in Hawaii only about eight years ago, where he now makes his home.

We sempai have presented him with other small gifts, but with a katana, I have a sneaking suspicion that there's a different protocol. But for the moment, having no other hard facts, I'm going to proceed pretty much as you have suggested (which is the way we've been doing it).

But does anyone have details on wrapping the fusahimo on the brocade bag??

wmuromoto
25th March 2006, 01:00
Ken,

If your sensei lived in Hawaii at least eight years, he should know that your hearts are in the right place even if the details may be a bit off. That said, he may even educate and correct you on the more glaring faux paus in etiquette you folks will inadvertently do. As for tying the cords. Well...the easy answer might be to look at Warner & Draeger's book, Japanese Swordsmanship, where there's some pics of how to do the cords for the sword bag and for tying up the sageo for display.

Problem is, the sageo is sort'a kind'a maybe for Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto-ryu. It's been a while and I'm not sure if it was Otake sensei of the TSKSR doing the cords part or the fellow who was demo-ing seitei iai in the book.

The harder, longer answer is...I may not be much help. I'm not sure because I'm not privy to what other styles do, except that in our Takeuchi-ryu iai system, we do the cord tying differently. Tying the cordage a specific way supposedly helped signify which ryuha you were in and (ha! fat chance...) kept people who aren't in the same ryu from secretly opening it up and doing naughty things to it. They won't know how to retie it, supposedly.

Anyway, good luck!

Wayne Muromoto

Ken-Hawaii
25th March 2006, 01:42
Aloha, Wayne:

I don't have a usable copy of Drager's book - it was ruined in a wind/rainstorm two years ago, & I haven't gotten around to replacing it (& another 1500 or so books).

The good news is that the sageo came pre-wrapped on the saya from the forge, so I'm leaving that alone :p. But wrapping the fusahimo around the brocade bag has my wife & me panicked. I've even asked a few of my fellow sempai who happen to be Japanese, but not a one of them even knew what a fusahimo was....

I was told by a neighbor that the wrapping is called Cho musubi, & found a URL http://www.2000cranes.com/customer_service/ribbon_tying.htm, but that sure doesn't look like what I'd do with a sword bag! I also found a site that shows ornate knots http://park.org/Japan/Kyoto/lib/himo1.htm, but that scared me even worse.

I'm actually thinking of foregoing the brocade bag completely, & just tying the sword bag himo very neatly. But I still have about 18 hours....

gendzwil
25th March 2006, 01:58
We gave our sensei a sword in honour of our dojo's 20th anniversary. He was sitting with other guest sensei to watch the various demonstrations. I had the mike, I just made a short speech about how we all felt, and gave him the sword in the usual manner you present gifts - both hands under, while bowing. I don't speak Japanese so I didn't try anything fancy.

hyaku
25th March 2006, 02:09
Damn this is frustrating. I can tie it but have no pics!

Go to bottom of this page for a group of pictures. What it does not show that I can add is. It's a nicer knot and if you have a good long himo to tuck under four rather than two bindings. Main thing is that you have the knot on the left hand side, curve down.

Regards

http://images.google.com/images?q=fusahimo&dnum=20&svnum=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&start=100&sa=N&filter=0

Ken-Hawaii
25th March 2006, 03:00
Hold the presses!! I went to Ask Jeeves aj.com so I could ask the fusahimo wrapping question in plain English, & it directed me to http://www.jaxion.com/samurais.net/bag.htm

So with my fumble-fingered help, Linda was able to create what I think is a beautiful fusahimo knot in just a couple of minutes! Everything else should be easy tomorrow after that. :D :D

That link may be useful to others in this forum. Thank goodness for search engines!

nicojo
25th March 2006, 04:37
Ken,

I think that jaxion site gave you a photo of the Draeger/Warner book. Looks like it to me at least. Ain't the internet great for copyright.

Anyhow, here is a site I have bookmarked that I would have sent you earlier had I seen this. Maybe it will help in the future as well. Usagiya cho-musubi tying tips (http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/tyingcord.html)

Ken-Hawaii
25th March 2006, 04:39
I've definitely bookmarked that URL, too, Nicojo. It's a lot clearer in the description.

Mahalo! (Thanks!)

Brian Owens
28th March 2006, 07:38
...look at Warner & Draeger's book, Japanese Swordsmanship, where there's some pics of how to do the cords for the sword bag and for tying up the sageo for display.

...I'm not sure if it was Otake sensei of the TSKSR doing the cords part or the fellow who was demo-ing seitei iai in the book.

...I think that jaxion site gave you a photo of the Draeger/Warner book. Looks like it to me at least. Ain't the internet great for copyright....
Yes, that is a scan of Otake Sensei demonstrating tying cho musubi from Warner's & Dreager's Japanese Swordsmanship: Technique and Practice.

Ken-Hawaii
28th March 2006, 07:49
I had Draeger's book for many moons, & never noticed that section at all. Amazing the things that will become important to you during your lifetime!

By the way, the presentation of Maeda-Sensei's new shinken went extremely well at Saturday's dojo open house party. He was truly astonished, which was gratifying to us sempai. Sensei lost his original shinken to U.S. Customs a few decades ago when he first arrived, & has bemoaned its loss ever since. Hard to blame him.

We are now hoping that he will start a tameshigiri class in the very near future!