PDA

View Full Version : An inspiring and moving experience in yesterday's training.

Sean Townsend
31st March 2006, 20:23
We are in the middle of a 2 week visit from Sekiguchi Komei sensei here in Lubbock, TX. During last night's training I was very moved and wanted to share the experience.

We were working on kata with sensei last night, and we have a student who has very limited mobility in his legs to the point where standing up is a major challenge for him. Normally, he will do most techniques and kata from seiza. Last night, Sekiguchi sensei would demonstrate the kata for us normally, and then would demonstrate the kata again for him by doing the kata balancing on one leg. He literally placed his left foot over his right knee and would perform the entire kata by hopping around on his right leg, effectively giving himself the same mobility limitation so that he could modify the kata for the student. It was absolutely amazing to me and made me ashamed of the times I have complained about my limited ability to do tatehiza. The student was able to do all of the kata standing and it was the first time I had seen him do it. I don't know how to properly convey how moving it was to me, I'm just grateful to be lucky enough to have such an amazing teacher. Sekiguchi sensei himself commented that this particular student has taught him a great deal about iai and that he was very happy to have the opportunity to learn from him. To me, this is a shining example of what Budo is and why we are drawn to it.

Prince Loeffler
31st March 2006, 21:11
I am not a sword student, But I thank you for sharing this post.

KabukiLucas
31st March 2006, 21:49
I know what you mean Sean. I saw Sekiguchi Sensei doing the same thing with Dustin on Wed. night, and was amaized at how much more Dustin was able to do because of Sekiguchi Sensei. I also witnessed him limiting himself the same way Dustin is limited to show him that just because he has a physical limitation doesn't mean that he can't do what everyone else can do. I know it was extremely difficult for Dustin, and I admire his courage to continue training and improving just as much as I admire Sekiguchi Sensei limiting himself to the constraints of his students to show them how to make their handicap or weakness, into their strength. I look forward to training more this week and next.

Lucas Ward
Texas Komei Jyuku

Jonathan Tow
2nd April 2006, 04:35
Yes, it does highlight what we take for granted - even something simple as being able to walk on two feet!

I have had similar experiences training with Sekiguchi-sensei when we have had people with restricted mobility, whether in their shoulders, knees (quite common), or feet. He often says, "No problem!" then demonstrates variations of the techniques - seated, standing, forwards, backwards etc. Later I find he's still thinking of ways to adapt techniques and how they could improve their iai despite their condition.

I was thinking that temporarily handicapping yourself would give you some insight - but obviously not as much as those who have to live with it from day to day. Maybe it can be a challenge to push your iai further? As they say, "At times the way ahead is approached from a different angle..."

After all, iai is also about life and how we deal with it.

Best,

Jonathan Tow

P.S. Any of you guys from Texas attending the festival in September?

kongoshin
3rd April 2006, 13:31
A fellow student of mine is in a wheelchair. It's a challenge adapting the partner kata to do them with him, but it's really rewarding. You learn a lot about maai (distance) from doing sword kata with a person who sits on one spot. He's really sharp technically, so the challenge is to give him enough resistance without giving yourself up.

Sometimes, I've been sitting on a few punching bags or a chair, to really feel how we can adapt the technique to his handicap. You learn a great deal from removing the ability to move your hips freely....

Also, we've worked a lot on adapting the iai part of Katori Shinto Ryu to his disability. In one seminar, Kusano sensei, this student and I worked with "Happo ken", a iai kata cutting 360 degrees. Something which would be impossible for him to do the normal way. We found a way of doing it that preserved the tactics behind the kata, as well as allowing him to do flowing movements. Great day!

Working with someone with a disability makes me humble - we take too much for granted. At the same time, I agree with a previous poster that the person should be encouraged to try all the techniques that normal functioning people can do. The fact that Bo Jutsu is difficult to do while sitting in a wheelchair doesn't mean it's impossible. It takes more time, and sometimes needs adaptation.

The interesting thing with Iai is that, at least in TSKSR, Iai Jutsu is not about rigid forms. It's about illustrating principle. So deviating from the form is not wrong, as long as you keep the underlying principles and intention intact. That's my 2 cents, anyway :)

urbalte
7th April 2006, 03:43
Everything being said in this thread is just really awesome. I know that's an understatement, but it really does show that budo is more about heart than what the mainstream ideas are. Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

Jock Armstrong
8th April 2006, 03:09
I attended a seminar of Komei Sekiguchi sensei hosted by our Komei juku instructor.Komei sensei was an excellent teacher, energetic and adaptable. I'm not surprised to hear that he spent time with a disabled student. I'm hardly disabled- due to damage to my knees and ankles I can't seiza. When it was time to do the kneeling kata he just said, no problem, just stand. It was a pleasure to train under him.

don
8th April 2006, 16:17
During last night's training I was very moved and wanted to share the experience....

Nice post. Thanks.

KabukiLucas
9th April 2006, 00:40
Mr. Tow,

Unfortunatley most of us, from Texas, will not be able to attend the festival in Sept. I think that one or two students are trying to plan for it, but I don't know for sure. Our Shibucho, Walt Bushey, has just recently moved into a new dojo, and I think the earliest any of us can or are planing to go is sometime early in 2007. If you're going have a great time and be sure to post here and on the Komei Jyuku forum about your experiences and insights. We would love to hear them.

Lucas Ward
Texas Komei Jyuku

Jonathan Tow
9th April 2006, 05:44
Hi Lucas,

Sorry to hear that. I've got my fingers crossed that I'll still be able to meet some of you guys. I'm looking forward to meeting as many people as I can from other countries.

I don't think I'll have much access to the internet while there, so I'll try to keep a written journal or log and post it on my return.

Best,

Jonathan Tow

xSwordsmanx
13th April 2006, 19:19
I am not a TSKR student, at least not yet. I have been thinking of starting this style for a longtime now, and this is just another reason. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Brian Owens
14th April 2006, 06:34
I am not a TSKR student, at least not yet. I have been thinking of starting this style for a longtime now, and this is just another reason. Thank you for sharing this with us.
TSKSR (Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto Ryu) is a fascinating art with a long and glorious history, and if you can find a qualified techer of it in your area, or are willing to relocate to study it, I'm sure you'll be gratified.

However I don't think you'll get that from Sekiguchi Sensei or his students, since he is of the Yamauchi-ha of MJER (Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu). ;)

Sean Townsend
14th April 2006, 18:23
However I don't think you'll get that from Sekiguchi Sensei or his students, since he is of the Yamauchi-ha of MJER (Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu). ;)

Please clarify your intent with this statement. Thank you.

Charles Mahan
14th April 2006, 18:45
Please clarify your intent with this statement. Thank you.

I think his intent was pretty clear Sean. Rick Gillis was apparently under the impression that you guys were training in TSKSR. Which unless I am very much mistaken, you are not.

The "that" in the statement you quoted should be read

However I don't think you'll get Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu from Sekiguchi Sensei or his students, since he is of the Yamauchi-ha of MJER (Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu).

Sean Townsend
14th April 2006, 18:51
I think his intent was pretty clear Sean. Rick Gillis was apparently under the impression that you guys were training in TSKSR. Which unless I am very much mistaken, you are not.

The "that" in the statement you quoted should be read

Oh, ok. I did not see that connection, but it makes sense. Thanks for helping me see it.

Charles Mahan
14th April 2006, 18:57
No problem. I think I know what you were thinking he was saying. Brian's a good guy and unlikely to be that blatantly rude.

Brian Owens
15th April 2006, 04:45
...Brian's a good guy and unlikely to be that blatantly rude.
A little obscure in writing what a think I mean, sometimes, but not rude. :(

Yes, I was trying to humorously point out that the Sekiguchi Komei isn't Katori Ryu, not that it wasn't a fascinating and gratifying place to study.

Sorry I muddled it.