PDA

View Full Version : SEVERAL martial art questions

Nemesis2e
31st March 2006, 22:25
Hmm... I wasnt sure where else to put this, but here it goes.

I have a list of several martial arts i would like to take in my life, and id liek to know the best schools i can find, ifat all possible to find them in the centeral texas area.

kung fu
wing chun
capoeria
krav maga
akiedo
brazilian jiu jitsu
jiu jitsu
mui thai
kali (sayok, escreama, hand to hand)
wu shu

I realize its very ambisious and yes most of these are on the list because i thought they were "cool" and i wanted to learn more, or ive heard good things from good people and want to know more.

Kung Fu and Wing Chun dont need to be focused on as much, for my current karate instructor in a 4th degree in kung fu and i dont know how far he progressed in wing chun, but it was the first martial art he took. So any help is good help.

-William Toohey

Jason Chambers
31st March 2006, 22:48
As stated, this is a forum for Japanese martial arts. Most of the styles you have listed are not of Japanese origin. You are not likely to find any information here.

Prince Loeffler
31st March 2006, 22:51
Hello William,

Information of the martial arts that you listed can easily be obtained by clicking on this link:

www.google.com :)

Secondly, The best way to assist you in your googling search. It would help to spell the arts correctly.

capoeria = Capoeira
akiedo = Aikido
mui thai = Muay Thai or Muay Boran
kali (sayok, escreama, hand to hand) = Also known as Arnis, Kali or Escrima

Good Luck !

Nemesis2e
1st April 2006, 06:33
Ah, i thank you very very much, both of you.

Prince Loeffler
1st April 2006, 07:06
Ah, i thank you very very much, both of you.

You're very welcome !

Brian Owens
12th April 2006, 04:25
...Kung Fu and Wing Chun dont need to be focused on as much, for my current karate instructor in a 4th degree in kung fu and i dont know how far he progressed in wing chun, but it was the first martial art he took....
Kung Fu (also spelled Gung Fu) is a general term for many forms of Chinese boxing; thus Wing Chun (also spelled Ving Tsun) is a style of Kung Fu.

Just a few of the others are Tai Chi Chuan, Sil Lum Pai, Hung Gar, Choi Le Fut, Hsing-I, Pa Kua, etc., etc. (With variant spellings also.)

In English they may be listed as, for example, Tiger Crane, Northern Shaolin, White Crane, Eight Diagram Palm, etc.

Also, in your search for local schools, search on "jujutsu" as well as "jiu jitsu." The latter is an old spelling not much used anymore. The Brazilian Jiu Jitsu folks still use it, as do a few others, but most use jujutsu.

HTH.

Joseph Svinth
12th April 2006, 05:11
Go to http://ejmas.com/kronos . Toward the bottom of the document, you'll find some links I've found to be useful in the past. I haven't checked the links recently, so there are probably some dead ones. But what the heck, it's a starting place.

After that, go back to the top of the document, and go to the bibliographies and so on.

After reading all that, you should have a better idea of what interests you and what does not.

Nemesis2e
12th April 2006, 20:14
Danke, to the both of you