PDA

View Full Version : koryu jo in MD?

Ahn
5th April 2006, 19:03
Hello all,

Being new to this forum, I'm not sure if there is already info out there, but I've heard that there is a dojo somewhere in the Annapolis/Baltimore area that teaches classical jo, and was hoping someone out there would have more info.

Thanks

Andrew Nissen

Jerry O'Brien
9th April 2006, 23:43
Hi Mr. Nissen:

I think you are referring to the BEIKOKU REMBUKAN DOJO in Annapolis, Maryland.

HISTORY: The Rembukan was established in 1986 and is named after the famous Rembukan dojo that once served as the hombu for Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo in Tokyo. It was in 1996 that we hosted Kaminoda Tsunemori Sensei for his first visit to the USA in 25 years! Since then, we have hosted many events with prominent Japanese teachers. Moreover, members travel to Japan at yearly intervals to train in the arts of Jodo and Iaido. http://jodo.com/IMAGEgallery1.htm

ARTS: Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo and its subsumed arts (Tanjo, Jutte & Kusarigama), Kasumi Shinto Ryu Kenjutsu, and Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido

INSTRUCTOR: Rick Polland, who has been studying budo for over 40 years. His Jodo study began in Des Moines while attending Drake U. when several high ranking Japanese teachers visited the area in 1974. There he met Bruce Brown, a policeman who had just returned from a course of training with the Japanese Riot Police. At Mr. Brown’s invitation, Rick went to Japan to further his studies in 1976. Rick was formally accepted into the original Rembukan dojo in Tokyo by Shimizu Sensei himself and under the auspices of Donn F. Draeger due to Mr. Brown’s recommendation. Rick got to meet many of the best teachers Japan had to offer in many budo arts, including Shimizu Takaji, Kaminoda Tsunemori and Donn F. Draeger. After graduate studies at Indiana University, Bloomington, Rick returned to Japan and continued his budo studies in 1980-81.

I joined the Rembukan in 1996 after my initiation in Seitei Jo 10 years earlier with another Japanese teacher. I had the opportunity to join other Koryu Dojo but chose the Rembukan (despite the longer commute) because of the caliber of instruction and dojo culture.

If you are interested in paying us a visit please send me a PM.

Gerald O’Brien, MD

Ahn
12th April 2006, 19:24
Dear Dr. O'Brien,

Thanks very much for your informative reply. I must say I was surprised by the extent of the curriculum that is taught. Mr. Polland's experience must be significant. I will definitely check out the website you listed, and will be in touch with any further questions.

Regards,
Andrew Nissen