PDA

View Full Version : Kanku - Gojushiho connection

Andrew S
9th April 2006, 03:58
After running through kanku dai and then gojushiho sho a few times today I was struck by the similarities. Can anyone tell me if the kanku/kushanku group and gojushiho/ueshi group are related, and if so, in what ways?

powerof0ne
15th April 2006, 16:56
Wow, an e-budo stumper? :O!

Seriously, I'm also wondering the same thing now that you brought it up, Andrew.

Rob Alvelais
15th April 2006, 22:44
I don't think there is a connection other than they're both Itosu Kei kata.

Rob

shisochin#1
16th April 2006, 01:17
I dont believe they are related short of both being Shuri styled kata. I see more similarities with Gojushiho and Jion. then in Kosokun/kanku/kushanku.

Andrew S
18th April 2006, 22:11
I see more similarities with Gojushiho and Jion than in Kosokun/kanku/kushanku.
Ron, would you care to elaborate? I can kind of see what you mean, but I find the feeling in Jion to be quite different.

I don't think there is a connection other than they're both Itosu Kei kata.
Rob, I have heard that Itosu didn't know all the bunkai for all the kata he taught. Do you think it's possible that some similarities could be from a set pattern Itosu had in mind? A kind of unintentional "signature", perhaps?

shisochin#1
19th April 2006, 03:01
Sure, in the opening movement's of both Jion and Gojushiho with the choke/wedgeblock also in jion after the block kick 3 punches is simaler to the kick punch punch. they jsut seem to have the same feel to them.

Rob Alvelais
19th April 2006, 05:17
Rob, I have heard that Itosu didn't know all the bunkai for all the kata he taught.

I've heard the same, but *only* from those who were trying to justify the absence of sensible bunkai in their own styles and their own reverse-engineering of applications. I think the notion is far fetched, for reasons indicated below.

Do you think it's possible that some similarities could be from a set pattern Itosu had in mind? A kind of unintentional "signature", perhaps?

I've spoken to people from other styles in the Itosu lineage. Their applications for the kata that they have in common with Shito Ryu is strikingly similar. So, Did these guys learn them from Mabuni? Or, what I would think is mor plausible, they got them from a common source, Itosu.

Rob

Andrew S
19th April 2006, 10:22
I guess we'll never know for sure without that time machine. Prince, is it ready yet?

Prince Loeffler
19th April 2006, 18:25
I guess we'll never know for sure without that time machine. Prince, is it ready yet?

No, I am missing several parts and the parts needed are sold only back in time..what to do ? what to do ? :)