PDA

View Full Version : Books?

amadus
11th April 2006, 02:54
So, I'm curious: what is your favorite judo book and why?
Actually I wouldn't be opposed to hearing any great budo book recommendations, but most immediately, let's attempt to exhaust the subject of judo books specifically. As for me, I really love The Canon of Judo by Kyuzo Mifune (the recent re-release) and I also love Kodokan Judo: Throwing Techniques by Toshiro Daigo. Another book I've found to be invaluable is Teach Yourself Judo by Syd Hoare. As to the Daigo book, does anyone think that there will eventually be a companion volume covering grappling techniques?

Another thing, this is my first post; could someone enlighten me as to how I add my full name so that it automatically tags on at the bottom of my posts?

Thanks,

Joel Pettit

lefuet
11th April 2006, 07:54
Another thing, this is my first post; could someone enlighten me as to how I add my full name so that it automatically tags on at the bottom of my posts?
click on "User CP" (top left) and then on "edit signature"
There you can write and save your signature that will then be added to every post of yours. :)

amadus
11th April 2006, 12:33
Gotcha. Thanks.

MarkF
11th April 2006, 15:37
There is one book rarely mentioned here, and I only have a copy, it is called "Judo" by "The Kodokan."

It is an older book and is not in print, but is sometimes auctioned. The usual going price can be up to one-hundred dollars or so. It is sort of a technical account of Kodokan Judo as practiced at the Kodokan (Not to be confused with the book "Kodokan Judo" by Jigoro Kano).

For pure knowledge of judo, it is pretty complete.

I wish Daigo would have included more newaza, but there are now three 10-dan there. Perhaps one will.

There are Kosen Judo tapes/discs available. It is a school of Kodokan Judo which specializes in katame waza. If you like newaza, you will love the tapes.

I never could remember the titles, but someone posted the same page the tapes are listed for sale not too long ago. I do not have that many tapes, mostly kata, but that particular tape is not.

Mark

Edit in: oh, yeah, you were looking for book recommendations. Judo Kyohan by Yokoyama is a good one. If you would like to read op-eds on the books, try http://www.bestjudo.com and http://www.bstkd.com/judo.htm .

MarkF
11th April 2006, 15:44
BTW: Read anything on judo by Donn Draeger. He was like a sponge when it came to information.

Mark

gendzwil
11th April 2006, 16:40
I have "Best Judo" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0870117866/qid=1144773581/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-2240349-3369461?s=books&v=glance&n=283155), which I quite like.

Mark Barlow
11th April 2006, 16:56
I've got to second Mark's recommendation on Draeger's books. If he had published his laundry list, I'd probably buy it but his books on judo kata and technique are simply head and shoulders above most of what's available.

amadus
12th April 2006, 17:40
Yes! I have Both Judo Formal Techniques and Judo Training Methods by Donn Draeger. They are quite excellent. I would imagine Draeger's other text, Judo for Young Men: An Interscholastic and Intercollegiate Standard, is quite good, but i've never seen it. I wonder if anyone's planning on reprinting it anytime soon.
As many of you may know, Dover publications recently re-released the book The Complete Kano Jiu-jitsu which previously was fetching like $300-500 for used copies. My question is this: Is it actually any good? I know there is some dispute as to whether the methods shown are actually Kodokan Judo, but what is presented? The book is like 500 pages, so I'm assuming there must be quite a good amount of technique presented; are any kata demonstrated?

bob thomas
12th April 2006, 18:44
I[B] have a myriad of judo books.The Canon of Judo by K Mifune.printed in 1959 which is a fount of information.I bought it from an old pal in 1962 [cloth bound[and he had got it from Kenshiro Abbe.[ring any bells?
Another book is the above by s arima.It was published in 1906.The first book of judo in english.Some of the techniques look very modern and some of the others
look all of their hundred years old.I have checked on the web for prices,but I cannot even see it mentioned apart from the Kodokan which lists it.Anyone ever heard of it? I also have The Complete Kano Jujutsu.Best Judo.Kodokan Judo.My list is endless.I have a bookcase of them.These are books I have collected over more than fifty years in judo.

Bob Thomas

Jitsumania
13th April 2006, 04:15
I encourage my students to purchase Best Judo and Kodokan Judo as a good resource for their training and reference. I have loved both these books personally, among other Judo texts.
Hey Bob and Mark, would love to gander at those jewels of Judo books you own someday. A man could get lost in that type of collection. I am suffering from book envy! :) Take care and God Bless.

MarkF
13th April 2006, 14:13
Bob,

I've read the Arima book. I found it on E-bay, actually, is interesting and is not without humor. Arima writes about the "old days" when atemi was taught only to advanced judoka, but "these days, everyone is doing it (paraphrased)." I have a feeling that isn't an accurate translation, but it is funny when you consider that judo had only been around for about 13 years, at the time of publication.

If you are a competitor or one who likes the challenge of full-resistant randori, Best Judo is the book to read. "Kodokan Judo" is OK, for basics and is a good primer for newbies, but it was never truly written by Jigoro Kano, though there are a number of quotes. That book is written by committee, and always has been. It is a good book for your library.

(I need to unpack my books, a reminder to self).

Mark F.

gendzwil
13th April 2006, 15:08
Best Judo is the book to read.I had a test recently and knew I was going to be asked for some kaeshi-waza, so I had another read of that section and pulled out left-handed taiotoshi as a counter to uchimata. Worked great, would have never thought of it myself.

bob thomas
13th April 2006, 15:42
[ Hi Mark,
Yes,you are quite correct about 'Best Judo' It is probably the perfect book for the contest minded judoka as I once was.I liked Inokuma very much and Sato too.
I am surprised that you got Arima's book on E Bay though.I would think it is almost unobtainable.A hundred years old// I got a present of Daigo's new book of Kodokan throwing techniques which is excellent too.
Nowadays I read mainly books for reference or kata.

Best Wishes

Bob

MarkF
15th April 2006, 14:00
That is what they are for. I've found most of Draeger's books read like references. I don't have nearly the library you seem to have. Many of my "rare" books are copies.

I had no idea what it was, really, but there was a list of quotes from the book that I really liked. Otherwise, I may not have bid on it at all (First $100.00 USD takes it). Old does not necessarily equal "good." This time, it did.

Mark

Peter Boylan
23rd April 2006, 03:25
This one just came out in English. I've been reading it and it's wonderful. Mind OVER MUSCLE by Jigoro Kano.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/4770030150/sr=8-1/qid=1145762662/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-2219367-8371156?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Peter Boylan