PDA

View Full Version : The practical usage of the Jo during Edo-period

Fred27
17th April 2006, 10:51
Hello

I have a question regarding the practical value of Shinto Muso-ryu jojutsu during the samurai-period. Exactly how did the Kuroda-clan use this art? They would not have adopted Muso Gonnosuke's (brand new) teachings unless they saw some practical value in it, and they knew beforehand that the Jo wouldnt be a very useful weapon on the battlefield, but would be most effective in "civilian" situations.

But exactly what were those "civilian" situations?
*Was it used as a police/law-enforcement weapon such as the Jutte?

*Since the SMR system is (mainly) non-lethal, was it used in situations were the samurai weren't allowed to kill such as in the presence of their Lord?

*Temple/shrine guards?

*Bodyguard-weapon in situations where the sword was not allowed to be used?

*Was it used in public such as when the Kuroda-lords had to travel to/from Edo in the alternate-attendance system?

Throw me a bone here please. :)

Fred27
18th April 2006, 06:36
Ok, i got a nice PM with some info, thanks.

I also got to hear the usual mantra: "ask your sensei". Yes, he has more than enough information about Shinto Muso-ryu to last a life-time. But as I've stated before on these forums: He is not available 24 hours 7 days a week! And these forums are!

My sensei has two little toddlers at home, (the last wee one arrived this january), and I don't wish to pester him outside of the training-sessions unless it's something seriously important. Even so, I thought pestering you guys would be alot more fun than torturing my sensei :D. Besides, we are on a 10 day hiatus right now for Easter-holiday so I have to rely on e-budo.com for some information anyways :p