PDA

View Full Version : Jodo Dojo Finder.

MoppyPuppy
22nd April 2006, 23:19
Jodo Dojo Finder.
(I think the fact that the two words are almost the same is cooool.)

Anyway, I've been scrounging around for a Jodo Dojo.
But I'm always bieng redirected to Aikido, which from what I've read is a Martial Art that "incorporates the jo."

Note: Dont bother googling it, you'll get redirected to an Aikido finder.

I dont know, if it cant be found on google (as far as I know) maybe someone just happens to know what google doesn't.

Fred27
23rd April 2006, 06:48
The US isn't my stomping ground so I can't be of much help. Here is one tip though. When searching for "Jodo" you might find irrellevant results since Jodo, (as in "Jodo Shinshu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodo_Shinshu)"), is also the name of a buddist sect.

Other than that, try and do a search for "Wisconsin Budo" or "Wisconsin Jodo" and see if anything pops up. (yer looking for a dojo in Wisconsin right?) Good luck :)

Prince Loeffler
23rd April 2006, 07:22
Jeremuah,

If Aikido is the only art that offers it. Why don;t you try it ?

J. L. Badgley
23rd April 2006, 12:51
Try searching 'Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo' or 'Shinto Muso Ryu Jodo' (or 'Jojutsu') for more specific results.

MoppyPuppy
23rd April 2006, 17:05
Jeremuah,

If Aikido is the only art that offers it. Why don;t you try it ?

I dont think thats true though... dont ask for any proof from me right now, because I have none.

But I'm pretty sure that there has to be a stick based martial art that uses the stick and variants of it.

I dont want a sword art, I mean seriously, I'm not gonna walk around with a sword in my back pocket, falling on your keys was one thing, but a sword?

Sticks on the other hand, are everywhere, in all shapes and sizes.

Douglas Wylie
23rd April 2006, 21:36
I'll throw you a bone here,

Jodo people are really concerned with continuing and preserving their tradition, so you are going to need to act like a gentleman at all times (things like "cooool" are not going to get you very far). You are not likely to get anyone to teach you for 3 months only. You have to convince the teacher that you are worth teaching. What are you willing to give of yourself for the art?

Prince Loeffler
24th April 2006, 03:39
I dont think thats true though... dont ask for any proof from me right now, because I have none.

But I'm pretty sure that there has to be a stick based martial art that uses the stick and variants of it.

I dont want a sword art, I mean seriously, I'm not gonna walk around with a sword in my back pocket, falling on your keys was one thing, but a sword?

I think you missed the point here. If there aren't any Jodo Dojo in your area, I suggest you try the Aikido Dojo that offered it.

In fairness, I think you need to make up your mind as to what art to take. Look in your area and just train !

don
24th April 2006, 04:10

In aikido, we use jo with jo or jo with empty hands.

We also use swords, depending on the teacher/organization.

In jodo, Shindo Muso Ryu, anyway, they practice jo against sword.

Looks like you're stuck with those silly old anachronisms, the swords.

'course, once you've practiced, you'll realize that the benefits of training with them are not that you can use them, per se, but that your timing, distance, and concentration improve with everything else.

I once watched a Katori Shinto Ryu class (sword) that made me very sad I couldn't attend. The kata they did were wonderful for timing and initiative.

Alas.

Puppy, get yourself to a dojo and begin already.

Prince Loeffler
24th April 2006, 05:09
Puppy, get yourself to a dojo and begin already.

I second this motion !

MoppyPuppy
25th April 2006, 01:48
What are you willing to give of yourself for the art?

What can I give of myself for the art?
Its like one of those "Why should I hire you?" questions.

I second this motion !

I triple that motion but this question has me stumped.
I'm not entirely sure I understand it.

Douglas Wylie
25th April 2006, 02:21

What do you got? (just kidding)

The question is really rhetorical. But, you might consider thinking about it until you have an answer. What do you think the art needs?

Here is another-

What do you expect to get from training?

Douglas Wylie
25th April 2006, 04:13
Considering further I think you honestly dont know what its all about, so instead of just razzing you I'll answer the questions for you from one guy's point of view, out of respect for my sensei's philosophy of "lifting people up".

What are you willing to give of yourself for the art?

Short answer- whatever is needed. Long answer- One serious student who is willing to devote body and soul to the proper practice and continuation of the traditions of the art.

What does the art need?

Some old styles need people so the art doesnt die out, so they might be looking for a few serious people. Short time students do little for continuing the art so they are probably not needed.

What do you expect to get from the training?

Zen answer- nothing :) Long answer- A chance to do your best.
Dont expect to get the secrets of the universe.
Dont expect to get respect from those who haven't shown it to you in the past.
Dont expect to be able to pick up a broom and whoop up on baddies, or kick butt.
Dont expect to pay for a lesson like you were buying a piece of sushi.

So why do it?

Because the art intrigues me and the practice, atmosphere, and camaraderie appeals to me.

I dont know what motivates you but if you are anything like I was before I started, there is probably a bit of misunderstanding. So, on the level, I hope you can get some benefit from reading this.

Brian Owens
25th April 2006, 07:33
Its like one of those "Why should I hire you?" questions.
...I triple that motion but this question has me stumped.
I'm not entirely sure I understand it.
First a question: is your name Jeremuah, or Jeremiah?

Since the i and the u on QWERTY keyboards are directly adjacent to each other, I'm wondering if there's a typo in your signature. I've known several Jeremiahs over the years, but no Jeremuahs.

Next, if you want to join your nearest Tae Kwon Do or Karate school, one that has lots of kids practicing at several times each day several days a week -- what we here sometimes call a "McDojo" -- then the question doesn't need to be answered. Just show up, sign a contract (usually), plop down your money, and start training. More than half of their students drop out before 6 months are over, so if you can only go for 3 months it's no big deal to them.

But if you want to study a traditional art in a traditional dojo -- whether it be Jodo, Karatedo, Aikido, or any other traditional art, and to study under a classically trained sensei -- then you need to realize that most of the schools aren't "commercial" operations. The teachers don't earn a living from teaching, in fact they often spend more of their own money than can be replaced by the modest dues the students pay, and so on.

The schools will usually have a fairly small number of students, but those students are likely very dedicated to carrying on the traditions of the art as they have been handed down in an unbroken line from one master to another. The students are taught on a quality, rather than quantity, basis.

In cases like these, the student's role can't merely be one of taking what the school offers. He or she must offer something to the school in return.

If you want to pursue a traditional Budo (and I highly recommend it) I think you need to learn more about what that entails before you walk in the door. Since modern Americans haven't grown up with a history of traditional Japanese Budo infusing our culture, you have to go out and find the answers to questions about them.

There is one book in particular that I think can help you understand what we're talking about. It follows a young high school student in middle-America as he struggles with leading two lives: the new and the old, the West and the East. It's a (mostly, I think,) true story, and the author is a member of this board, although he doesn't post much any more.

The book is called Autumn Lightning: The Education of an American Samurai by Dave Lowry. (Yes, I know there's no such thing as an American Samurai, or any kind of samurai anymore. It's just an expression.)

If you can't find it at your local book store, then order it from Amazon.com or something. But I really think you need to read it, and to read it soon.

HTH.

Prince Loeffler
25th April 2006, 07:42
Well Done Brian that's the best advised I hear thus far. Jerimruah, heed his advice. No buts and ifs !

MoppyPuppy
28th April 2006, 11:10
Thank You!

Oh and it is a typo, it sould be "I" in my name.
(I just feel like saying this... I take my drivers test today!)

P.S. Thats so that people who read can wish me luck as I always forget my turn signals...

Brian Owens
29th April 2006, 04:22
...I take my drivers test today!...
Good luck!

I hope you remembered your turn signals. ;)

MoppyPuppy
30th April 2006, 02:20
I didn't.

Its to bad I didn't see your reply before my test, otherwise I could give a coool... "I wont."