PDA

View Full Version : Looking For...

Warrior'sWay
24th April 2006, 14:36
I am looking for a good Karate dojo in Illinois. (in the Manteno/Bourbonnais area)

I would more specifically like to find a Shotokan, Goju Ryu, or Wado Ryu dojo.

Prince Loeffler
24th April 2006, 18:04
Hello Mr. The Tao

A warm fuzzy and huggy welcome to e-budo and I am your gracious and gentle mod Mr. Prince “I don’t own a red corvette” Loeffler.

Before we can response to your inquiry , Please allow me to kindly remind you are in violation of E-budo rules regarding the name posting policy. Therefore, either you need to supply us the following:

- Your home phone and cell phone number
- Social security number
- Employer's name and phone numbers
- Scanned birth certificate
- Your dad's Social Security Number
- Some DNA blood and saliva samples
-Your last 5 paycheck stubs
-Your current medical and dental records
- your checking and savings accounts
- Current Life, Medical and Auto insurance policy number
- Original deed of trust to your property
- Your vehicle registration and VIN number
- Your significant others name and medical records
- Hair samples from all known living relatives
- 24 letter of reference from non-relatives concerning your good conduct.
- Your current brain scan.
- Your psychiatric evaluation for the last 10 years
- Your sensei’s written permission to post and participate in any MA related forums

However, If any of the above cannot be secured, We can waived all the above requirements if you willingly and unconditionally agree to sign your REAL FULL name at the end of every post. You will only get three warnings from any E-Budo member and possibly none from the moderators. If you do not comply you will be placed in E-Budo Hell in which you will be forced to have conversation with yourself.

The best solution to avoid a round all expenses paid trip to the dreaded E-Budo purgatory, simply follow the specific instructions below:

1) Find a quiet corner and get into seiza position. Now chant the following: “I will not Break E-budo rule of no name post” 2459 times.

Or

2) Stand in Naihanchi Ashi Dachi ( That‘s horse stance to you landlubbers), relax and take a deep breath, then Click on user cp, click on Signature editor, enter signature and answer yes that you want your signature to show plus anything else you want in your signature.

If this confuses you , go ahead call in sick from work and grab some Sake or a cold John Adams or if you are under 21, grab some milk and cookies and take the time to read this link:

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showpost.php?p=397181&postcount=1

Again, Welcome to E-Budo ! Hope you enjoy your stay and please remain seated at all times.

Warrior'sWay
24th April 2006, 19:48
Hello. :karatekid

Sorry about forgetting about putting my name at the end. I put my full name in my signature, so I wont forget ever again. (is it ok to put my name in my sig insted of every post?)

Now that it is fixed (I hope) could you help me in my search for a dojo?

Prince Loeffler
24th April 2006, 19:55
I am looking for a good Karate dojo in Illinois. (in the Manteno/Bourbonnais area)

I would more specifically like to find a Shotokan, Goju Ryu, or Wado Ryu dojo.

Thank you for adhering to the rule Corey and welcome on board. Here is what I suggested in the past.

I see a lot of requests from people wanting to train in the martial arts, but don‘t know what to do, or which art to learn. This can be a very difficult endeavor as it seems like everything appeals to you right now. I can easily say “oh, practice Shorin ryu because….” but I won’t, instead I will suggest the following to assist you:

First thing first, ask yourself:

- Am I willing to spend the time and money to venture into this 'new' lifestyle? Or Am I just having a Jet Li / Jackie Chan / Power Rangers moment?

You really need to seriously think about this because like most endeavors you only get out what you put in. Some styles provide a rapid assimilation others may take years to even superficially understand.

What style is good for me?

Get a phone book (available for free from your local phone company), Take it home and list the schools and their styles that are in your locality an that appeal to you. Then click on this link: www.google.com type in the styles on your list. Google will list many websites devoted to the style, read through as many as you can and get a feel for what is on offer. It pays to do your homework before you do your legwork.

Finding the Dojo

Now you have narrowed down your search into martial arts styles and are still feeling enthusiastic about training, however here comes the hard part. To begin with, now that you have a clear fundamental understanding of what style you want to look into, return to the primary source (the phone book) and list the relevant schools, their address and phone numbers.

You may also find schools on the internet, your earlier research may have uncovered some, but you can also search using Google, remember to include the style and your locality to narrow the results down to ones close to you.

There are also schools that do not advertise, they rely on word of mouth and can often be of an extremely high standard. One way to access these is to ask at the local martial arts retailer, or at a demonstration or competition in your area. These stores and competitions are often advertised in martial arts magazines or local papers.

So by now you probably have a list that is 2-3 pages long. The next thing you need to do is contact the schools at give them a try. Most schools will offer free or reduced rate introductory lessons, but do not sign up for any long term course until you are completely happy with what you are getting. Ideally you should go along for a month or so to get a feel for the instruction and other students.

Then you can try another school, then another, until you have enough information to make a decision on which you like best. Don’t allow yourself to be pressured by the sales pitch or hype, go with your gut.

Reishiki / Etiquette for contacting or visiting dojo’s

Some schools welcome visitors; others require an invitation so it is usually a good idea to call first and ask permission to visit and watch a lesson.

When calling or talking to instructors, you should be polite and respectful. Don’t immediately barrage them with questions; see what they say and how they encourage you to join their school. You do not need to tell them that you have tried other schools, but if the subject does come up explain that you are trying to find a style that suits you.

Ask enough questions so that you get a feel for what they are offering and how much it will cost you, but do not try to impress them with your knowledge.

If you make an appointment ensure that you do show up, respect is a strong feature of most martial arts and rudeness is frowned upon. Always thank the person for their time and their help, if you feel that you are being pressed into signing up, politely explain that you are not ready to commit at this time.

How do I know that it is a legitimate Dojo?

This is probably the easiest step; simply ask the question here in the forum!

If you can’t be bothered going through this process, chances are you aren't that serious about wanting quality instruction. Hopefully these small suggestions help, and please let us know how you got on.

Editing Credit - Mr. Neil Hawkins

Warrior'sWay
24th April 2006, 21:02
Currently I am studying Hapkido, but in about a year I will be moving to the area that I mentioned. So I will have to give up my Hapkido studies and learn a new martial art. I can't find any Shotokan/Goju/Wado dojos in that area.

But I did find another dojo and a dojang.

http://www.lemnerssoobahkdo.com/about.html (Tang Soo Do)

http://www.inakadojo.org/welcome.html (Aikido)

Could you tell me if you think these are good schools? Also I have to choose... TSD or Aikido.

Prince Loeffler
24th April 2006, 21:09
Currently I am studying Hapkido, but in about a year I will be moving to the area that I mentioned. So I will have to give up my Hapkido studies and learn a new martial art. I can't find any Shotokan/Goju/Wado dojos in that area.

But I did find another dojo and a dojang.

http://www.lemnerssoobahkdo.com/about.html (Tang Soo Do)

http://www.inakadojo.org/welcome.html (Aikido)

Could you tell me if you think these are good schools? Also I have to choose... TSD or Aikido.

Hello Corey

My knowlege about those schools are zero to none. There are several members here that trains in Aikido that might give you a better perpective of who they are. As for Tang Soo Do, again, it has a close resemblance to the Japanese system of Karate such as Shotokan. But the best way to determine is to call these people and let them know you are coming.

Let us know the outcome of that visit will ya ? Good Luck Corey !

Warrior'sWay
24th April 2006, 21:17
Thank you for taking the time to check my posts and give me good words of advice. I definatly will give you an update once it happens.

Prince Loeffler
24th April 2006, 21:32
Thank you for taking the time to check my posts and give me good words of advice. I definatly will give you an update once it happens.

You very welcome Corey !