PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone train in Guildford?

knarly b
25th April 2006, 13:53
Hi

Im looking for a Dojo or instructor in the Guildford area. There is supposed to be a club in the Uni (of Surrey) but none of my emails have been answered regarding the club and many of the links are broken.

Does anyone train there who could give me some info ready for my first lesson?

Also, ive found on Ninjutsu.com that a guy named Dave Heald actually lives in my town or did at the time of writting the website, however telephone codes changed several years ago so these details are quite old.

I dont even know if its appropriate for me to call him as he is 13th Dan (maybe more now) and is not listed in affiliation with any Dojo. Plus im daunted to say the least by his high rank, why would anyone so skilled want to teach a complete novice?

Does anyone have any advise?

saru1968
25th April 2006, 13:59
'dont even know if its appropriate for me to call him as he is 13th Dan (maybe more now) and is not listed in affiliation with any Dojo. Plus im daunted to say the least by his high rank, why would anyone so skilled want to teach a complete novice?

Does anyone have any advise'

Yep don't be worried.

Dave started a new session last Sunday and there was at least three beginners there.

I've sent a 'PM' of three clubs and various ways to contact them.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

But i would not stress about the lessons because as a beginner your not expected to know anything, its more worrying being a Dan grade!!

:-)

william northcote
25th April 2006, 14:54
But i would not stress about the lessons because as a beginner your not expected to know anything, its more worrying being a Dan grade!!

So I must be a kyu grade then :D

saru1968
25th April 2006, 15:11
So I must be a kyu grade then :D

Oh, for the carefree days as a green belt, life was so much less stressful and alot less painfull.

william northcote
25th April 2006, 16:05
Oh, for the carefree days as a green belt, life was so much less stressful and alot less painfull.

May have been for you hehehe.

saru1968
26th April 2006, 01:45
May have been for you hehehe.

I thought i was being hit hard as a Kyu grade until i got my Shodan then it hurt more, mind you I am a sharing type of guy so i passed the pain onto the high kyu grades!

ONTOPIC

If i can make it Sunday Karl i will inroduce you to the INstructor at Guildford, if not I will ring him up amd tell him to get a big pointy stick! LOL

kennin
26th April 2006, 05:21
Oh, for the carefree days as a green belt, life was so much less stressful and alot less painfull. :-)

Oh yesssss... poor yūdansha we are! The pain... the agony... the torture... the suffering... the fun... errr... oops! :p

No, seriously: I know many European teachers, and none of those I know a bit separate absolute beginners of higher grades.
All are equal... everyone has the right to wringe on the floor, making strange squeeky noises and weird facial expressions.
From what I've heared of Dave, he's no different. Should be a very nice and good bloke!
:)

knarly b
26th April 2006, 13:47
cool, ive got all the details i need now.
i look forward to returning to ebudo with something to talk about!