PDA

View Full Version : teaching more, training less

Rogier
25th April 2006, 19:08
Over the last two years I've slowly been creeping up to a point where I'm teaching considerably more hours than I'm actually training myself. This must be a pretty common situation for martial arts teachers and at this point I'm not sure anymore if I really like the current balance.

I'm slowly beginning to have doubts about how much I really like what I do and if I should continue and hope it'll clear up or go do something completely different.

Has someone here had the same thing and how have you handled it?

gendzwil
25th April 2006, 19:33
It's just inevitable, the price you pay. Rank can be a burden.

Evan London
25th April 2006, 20:31
I reserve time out of each class I teach to focus on my training using my studnets as uke. Usuallt 15-20 minutes. I also train along side my students as I teach. I demo a technique, do a few reps using each student as a uke in rotation with the others watching, then let them train on each other under my observation. Not ideal, but it is something.

Ev

mews
25th April 2006, 22:36
Get your own training time - it can be before or after class, or when you travel to your teacher, or at other times, but if you DON'T, you will burn out fast.

mew

bu-kusa
26th April 2006, 13:11
''I'm slowly beginning to have doubts about how much I really like what I do and if I should continue and hope it'll clear up or go do something completely different.''

How about attending seminars on the aspects of 'jiujitsu' thats you most enjoy.

Whether its traditional ryu-ha practise, or modern CQB, or even into things such as Tai-chi Chuan / Chi-kung, Yoga or even Pilates. Even if you dont take any of these it up seriously it may help you see what you do from a different viewpoint! :)

PictonMA
11th May 2006, 05:48
Like mentioned by others I try to train along side the students as much as possible on things like fundamentals, basic kata, etc.

I try to make time every day to go through at least some advanced stuff on my one or with my wife (fortunately she is also a black-belt and the assistant instructor at my dojo).

I make a point of going to see my sensei as often as I can (at least once a month if not more).

I've started cross training in other martial arts at Dojo 30-45min a way once a week where I can be the student, strap on a junior rank and not worry abotu teaching - I can just worry about enjoying the martial arts.

Jason G. Bilodeau