PDA

View Full Version : Asthma, and also

GaryH
7th December 2000, 04:05
Hi all,

First problem is asthma (Had it for years and im still not sure that is how it is spelled ;)) I have an inhaler, but when I tried putting it in my sleeve or in the inside of my uniform, it falls out somehow. Ive only tried it at home, but if my inhaler fell out in the middle of a kata in class, it would interupt the class. (Beyond how much I already interupt them with my slow catching on.)
Anyone got an idea on where to put it? Or is it OK if I go off the matt everyone once in a while to use it?

The 2nd problem is a little different. When I was in 8th grade I was doing a "shuttle run" where you run back and forth, and I tore the muscle inbetween the kneecap and the bone going down to my ankle. Doctor called is "Ozgood Slaughters" (Sounds like that but its spelled different) and I assumed in 4 years it had gone away. But as the practicing gets harder, and I sit on my feet more, its coming back. It seems kinda rare, so if someone could help me on some exercises that can help build up that muscle or some precations so that I don't perm. damage my knees?

Thanks,

Gary Hill

Steve Williams
8th December 2000, 09:41
Originally posted by GaryH
Hi all,
First problem is asthma (Had it for years and im still not sure that is how it is spelled ;)) I have an inhaler, but when I tried putting it in my sleeve or in the inside of my uniform, it falls out somehow. Ive only tried it at home, but if my inhaler fell out in the middle of a kata in class, it would interupt the class. (Beyond how much I already interupt them with my slow catching on.)
Anyone got an idea on where to put it? Or is it OK if I go off the matt everyone once in a while to use it?

I (luckily) don't suffer with asthma (yes you spelt it correctly :D ) but have trained with/ taught people who do, I can offer this advice.
I have two dan grades who train with me who suffer/ have suffered with asthma (one quite badly) and they leave their inhaler in their kit bag, or at the side of the dojo, if they feel the need then they will move to the side and use it as they wish, I see no problem with this and no other instructor I know has either.
I would say also that through training both of them have drastically reduced their "inhaler use" and now only very rarely need it (from once a week when they started, to once in a blue moon now after years of training).

I hope this is of help, and hope that your inhaler use will also decrease. :smilejapa

Jay Bell
8th December 2000, 18:42
Hi Gary,

I too had Ozgood Slaughters <;)> for years. What I was told by doctors was that it's basically bone deposits around the knee...too much. Eventually, I grew out of it...the surrounding bone/body just somewhat grew into the knee. Now..lumps of bone are no more.

Take care,

Jay

MarkF
9th December 2000, 09:24
Actually, "Slaughter's knee" can be simply caused by a growth spurt sometime in childhood, usually between the age of fourteen and seventeen, and used to require surgery, leaving large amounts of scar tissue. Rarely is surgery necessary, as it eventually disappears. Some, though do have nagging problems with it, but rarely is it a problem.

Since the deposits are almost always absorbed along the way, you shouldn't be bothered too much.

Mark

DJM
5th March 2001, 22:43
Gary,
I also am asthmatic, and I tend to leave it in my coat pocket, or on top of my bag, making sure everyone knows where it is if my breathing is bad.. If your breathing is bad you might like to try using it 5 minutes before starting practice - this was recommended to me by a nurse at my local surgery...
Also, if you find yourself using the ventolin (salbutamol) inhaler a lot you might want to consider starting, or upping your dosage of becotide (beclamethasone diproprionate - sp?) to manage youe asthma, subject to medical advice obviously...
Hope this helps,
David

MarkF
6th March 2001, 09:35
It is Beclomethasone, but you got the rest of it. It is a steroid and has no immediate relief factor. It works over time. I would suggest if you are going to increase the dosage, that you pay strict attention to injuries and infections. Inhaled steroids such as Beclovent, Beconase (both the same as the one above) do not affect the immune system as much as PO (by mouth) doses, but it still may have an effect.

Talk with a doctor, and after he tells you I'm full of it, go to the nearest health store and stock up on Vit. C, A (Beta carotene), and E (D alpha Tocopherol), and a strong multiple or B-Complex. If you take A and E in these exact forms, there are no known side effects, and no known upper limits. However, start with about 200 IU of Vitamin E, and work up to 800iu or 1000iu. It does have a tendency to raise blood pressure for the first few days, otherwise is totally safe.

Mark

chasbwave
9th March 2001, 20:48
Did i spell it right?? LOL

I have asthma and it truely has had detrimental effect on my training, in effect at times stopping my desire to train. However after a decade or so I have gotten it way under control.

however i have some advise

1. I found that I had an allergy to tomato sauce (TOOK ME OVER 7 YEARS TO FIGURE THAT OUT) So start making note of what you eat, either mentally or otherwise and compare to how you feel. A old herbalist name J. Kloss in his book said that asthma comes from the stomach. something to consider.

2. I have found that ephedra, a herbal ingredient, helps with asthma. ephedra is what they make Primatene out of. Ephedra is that natural form of it. i find it in teas, and diet remedies. It can still raise your blood pressure.

3. I have heard that the coritsone based inhalers can have detriemental effect long term in the lungs. something to the effect of them losing the abilty to beta block???? i don't remeber exactly...

Chas