PDA

View Full Version : Ho hum...

Andy Watson
3rd May 2006, 12:05
All quiet on the jodo front again then.....

....(yawn).....

Oh well I suppose I could crash through the silence with a brief seminar report. The BKA had it's first spring jodo seminar and grading to replace the regular weekend holidays in Watchet last weekend. The turn out was great in that it was getting a bit congested in quite a large sports hall but still enough room to move around.

The tone of the seminar was to move slightly away from Seitei Jodo in spite of the grading on Sunday to look at Samidare and Ran Ai. There were some newbies there who had barely advanced past Seitei Sakan but it was a good exposure to the slightly interesting side of SMR. Vito and Linda Tattoli, Jock Hopson and Chris Buxton led the seminar with the Tattoli's doing the koryu demos.

I for one have always enjoyed Samidare - the relatively small number of forms within the teaching set, the directness of the forms and the pre-emptive-counterstrike'ness which set Samidare apart from other teaching sets. The riai for the forms is also quite obvious and there is a good introduction to non-kihon techniques. All of this of course couldn't be delivered without some Tandoku Dosa and MARCHING UP AND DOWN AND SHOUTING!!!

We finished the first day by starting to introduce Ran Ai to those who didn't know it and to clarify some points for those that did (ZNKR Seitei Jodo undergoes occasional changes in style - more towards traditional Fukuoka taste I am pleased to say but not without the Tokyo pragmatism).

By lunchtime on Sunday we had remarkably gotten most of the newbies through Ran Ai without prompt. The afternoon gave a chance for grading practise and no one appeared worse off for not spending the whole weekend doing their grading forms. The ikkyu level group actually performed with fantastic flare with really solid understanding and demonstration of the basics.

Anyway just some light reading to break the monotony.

ScottUK
4th May 2006, 14:02
A certain member of our dojo still ain't shut up about how much he enjoyed the course. Can you include valium as part of the closing reiho next time please? :)

UKPatrick
4th May 2006, 15:28
OK, so I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it humunguosly (see, it even made me invent a new word.).

All of Andy's comments are, of course, correct, but let's not forget the 'hands on' help given by the other high grades, such as Andy, and 'Harry', Val (on saturday), Keith Rose and Greg Drew. When these guys are practicing beside you it is easy to pick up the new kata and techniques.

Andy, I failed to make notes of the kata until I got home, and am having trouble remembering the whole of the fith Kata - could you drop me an outline of this one (please, pretty please, pretty pretty pretty please)?

Patrick

Andy Watson
4th May 2006, 18:00
I am hoping to not be reprimanded for providing "instruction" on the forum - maybe it's just guidance.

Diane - please feel free to put this post in the dungeon and slap me on the wrist if I shouldn't be doing this....

Kata begins as per Mijin Omote, shijo approaches and whacks uchidachi into the solar plexus. Uchidachi takes larger step back and then cuts forward with one hand to doh/dou/do/dough/...doh! Shijo receives with Dobarai Uchi. Shijo then makes an attack to the face while stepping through and letting the josaki descend to the floor. Uchidachi steps back into Hasso and quickly cuts to the shijo's head. Shijo executes a lateral sweeping strike (harai-waza) and steps back feet together into jo hasso kamae. As the shidachi recovers the shijo steps forward with the right foot to deliver a finishing strike to shidachi's solar plexus. Everyone goes home happy with who the winner is and they weren't really enemies to start with, uchidachi just spilled shijo's beer and shijo overreacted.

Hope that helps as I descend into hell....

UKPatrick
4th May 2006, 21:36
Andy

I did not say you instucted ('cos you did not)- just practiced beside us, enabling we lesser mortals to see what we should be doing. Eki and I spent Saturday practicing between 'Harry' and Val on one side, and Greg Drew on the other. Any confusion during the day, and we just watched the big boys and girls doing it right.
However, if you were just after a bit of S & M from the moderator, sorry if I am hampering you!!!!!!!

Thanks for the kata detail.

Patrick

UKPatrick
4th May 2006, 21:40
Of course, you could always have sent a PM!

Patrick

Andy Watson
5th May 2006, 09:36
I have my reasons. Read "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell".

Diane Skoss
5th May 2006, 13:09
I have.

[and that should be all I needed to write but E-budo doesn't allow two word answers].

Cheers!

Diane Skoss

Andy Watson
5th May 2006, 16:02
Aha....oops.