PDA

View Full Version : Tameshigiri with naginata?

Robert Wilkins
5th May 2006, 16:04
Just wondering if anyone knows of a site that has some video of tameshigiri being demonstrated with the naginata?
Thanks,
-Robert Wilkins.

Nathan Scott
9th May 2006, 19:32
There have been a few that have tried this, but I don't know of any online movies. Most of the people I've heard who have tried have little to no experience in naginata.

I would hope that most of us would have more sense than to use an antique for experimentation, but short of that, you have cheap Chinese replicas that break (the hafts) if you swing them to hard. The other problem is that the naginata blade is not designed to cut in the same way a sword is, so you'd have to adapt your testing methods.

I'm sure one of these days one of us will put something together. I'll admit to having put some thought into naginata tameshigiri.

Regards,

tgall
20th June 2006, 14:49
Hello,

I' ll found a video of naginata tameshigiri at youtube.com:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79fRC7qV_jc

Sincerly

Thomas Mayer-Gall

Sukeyasu
20th June 2006, 16:11
Dear Lord! She almost took her foot off.

Maro
20th June 2006, 23:47
I think it's a he!

Definitely an outdoor practice I think. To be fair, he had to choke the grip up - that kind of defeats the point of a polearm. Distance.

ChrisMoon
21st June 2006, 06:43
I think it's a he!

Definitely an outdoor practice I think. To be fair, he had to choke the grip up - that kind of defeats the point of a polearm. Distance.

I take it you have never seen TSKSR naginata then? They hold the naginata around the middle.

Maro
21st June 2006, 07:20
Indeed I haven't. Purely an observation from me.

devourment77
21st June 2006, 19:04
I filmed that video and that was her very first time test cutting (with any weapon). She has improved a lot since then.

kongoshin
22nd June 2006, 13:00
To be fair, he had to choke the grip up - that kind of defeats the point of a polearm. Distance.

Distance is only one advantage of the Naginata. The butt end can be deceivingly dangerous, too... Hence the grip. If you want pure distance - use a spear :rolleyes: