PDA

View Full Version : New to Iaido

Judo Wayne
5th May 2006, 21:29
HI I am new to Iaido, I was wondering if any body has any Japanese/English Iaido translations?

Thanks
W Tippett

socho
6th May 2006, 01:27
of what?

Dave

Judo Wayne
7th May 2006, 15:38
I was wondering if anybody has any English/Japanese Iaido translations as i have Just started and would like to learn the terminology. Many thanks

Ojiisan
7th May 2006, 16:27
You could try this for starters...

http://www.nic.funet.fi/~magi/harrasteet/iaido/sanasto.html

Charles Mahan
7th May 2006, 22:55
I was wondering if anybody has any English/Japanese Iaido translations as i have Just started and would like to learn the terminology. Many thanks

I'm sorry Wayne. You're still not being very clear. Iaido is something you do. How are we supposed to translate it? Are you looking for translations of style names? Waza names? If so what style are the waza from? Is it Kamae you are after? Sayings? You're gonna have to be a little less vague.

JAnstey
8th May 2006, 04:48
Hi Wayne

edit ; I just posted the same glossary as the first person. woops

Judo Wayne
8th May 2006, 22:25
appologies for not being clear what i was after is the japanese/english for the different positions, stances, katas etc, i.e what is the japanese for a defensive possition hope that has cleared it up for people

Charles Mahan
8th May 2006, 22:34
Well that helps a little, but if you want translations of kata names, you're gonna have to tell us what you are studying. In London, I'd hazard a guess of either the Seitei Kata through the British Kendo Association. It could be Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu associated with either the BKA, or the Eikoku Roushukai. It could easily be something else entirely.

You might ask your sensei if he has a preferred reference for this sort of thing.

8th May 2006, 23:58
Mr Tippet

I've sent you a pm.

Ken-Hawaii
11th May 2006, 02:38
Aloha, Wayne:

I know how you feel about learning terminology, especially coming from another martial art. Iaido is a very deep study, so plan on taking your time because there are no easy answers. Your sensei should give you the majority of the terminology you need to know in the dojo; in fact, many senseis get a tad upset when you start looking to learn more than they are teaching. Many's the time that I've gotten my wrist - excuse me, kote - slapped for asking a question that hadn't been covered in training :p .

All the answers on this thread are correct, in that terminology for any given part of iaido is really based on what you are specifically learning. If you've been started off with basic Seitei Iai, just learning those 12 waza, dojo commands, & the various parts of the iaito, saya, etc. should keep you busy for a few moons. If you're just trying to jump around & figure out what you'll be doing a year or three down the long iaido road, then I can promise you that you'll find more confusion than answers. Your Sensei may choose to give you guidance on what to learn - & when - in which case you may be able to get a jump on knowing more than the rest of your dojo mates. But until you are certain that you understand which road you'll be traveling, Wayne, it doesn't make a lot of sense to jump around.

A few years from now, you'll realize that none of this makes much difference, assuming you stay with iaido, of course.

Brian Owens
11th May 2006, 06:56
appologies for not being clear what i was after is the japanese/english for the different positions, stances, katas etc, i.e what is the japanese for a defensive possition hope that has cleared it up for people
Echoing what Charles said, it's best to get this info from your own sensei and your dojo mates, because it will vary from school to school.

For example, what one school might call "Chudangamae" another might call "Chudan-no-kamae" (both mean, roughly, "middle-level posture") and another might call "Seigan-no-kamae" ("'Capturing the Eyes' position"). And so on.

To further complicate matters, different schools might mean different things by the same name.

We're not trying to be evasive; it just is difficult to answer so general a question.

That's why one of our most frequent responses to questions is -- and, frustratingly, has to be -- "Ask your sensei."

If you can narrow it down to more specific details, though, we'll try to help.