PDA

View Full Version : jujutsu / jujitsu in Perth western australia

djnoah
7th May 2006, 00:48
All welcome to come train with us in practical and traditional Jujutsu in Perth, Western Australia. Instruction offered by Noah Greenstone, with over 30 years' experience, trained nearly 10 years in Japan under the headmaster of the Yanagi Ryu system as well as with people like Wally Jay, Dan Inosanto, Hawkins Cheung, Mike Belzer, Sig Kufferath, Cliff Stewart and others. Please also have a look at our website: http://www.karrinyupjujutsu.com/
YOROSHIKU ONEGAISHIMASU!

Finny
20th May 2006, 12:06
G'day djnoah - FWIW, It's a condition of membership here that you sign every post with your full real name - it's easy done by going to the 'user cp' page, and add your name under 'edit signature'.

That said - I'd be very interested to hear a bit more about the style you guys do - which branch of 'Yanagi Ryu' do you guys do? I understand the name is a very common one in JMA - and there would have been many different 'Yanagi Ryu' throughout history.

You mention that Mr. Greenstone studied under the current head of the style - can you tell me his name? And where the style is based in Japan?

I'm sure that would help me geta bit more information on the style.

All the best,

Brendan

Howard Quick
20th May 2006, 23:23
Just curious because I think alot here are of the impression that Don Angier is the current head and inheritor of the Yanagi Ryu style/system.

Jock Armstrong
21st May 2006, 01:39
That's what I thought. I'm always interested in jujutsu though- who/ what organisation did mr Greenstone gain certification thru? I remember the late Jan De Jong was based in Perth and had an excellent rep. I can't remember the system name though....

George Kohler
21st May 2006, 01:48
Just curious because I think alot here are of the impression that Don Angier is the current head and inheritor of the Yanagi Ryu style/system.

There is a different school in Japan that has "Yanagi" part of it's name. Sometimes they even shorten the name to just Yanagi-ryu. It is a verified koryu school. I'll give the full name of the school, but I'll let Mr. Greenstone answer the name of the soke. The name of the school is Shingetsu Muso Yanagi-ryu which is connected to Yagyu-ryu and Takagi/Kukishin-ryu.

Mr. Greenstone, welcome to E-Budo! For some reason I thought you were in California. Hope you have fun in Australia.

Finny
21st May 2006, 02:14
I remember the late Jan De Jong was based in Perth and had an excellent rep. I can't remember the system name though....

I think Jan de jong taught Tsutsumi Hozan Ryu.

Neil Hawkins
21st May 2006, 05:56
Welcome Noah, I must get up there and say hello.

Without trying to hijack the thread there is some good Jujutsu on offer in Perth.

Shihan De Jong taught Tsutsumi Hozan Ryu and there are still a number of instructors teaching De Jong's system here in Perth.

Sensei Maggie De Jong, daughter of Jan De Jong with Sensei Paul Connolly (http://www.jandejong.com.au/)
Sensei Hans De Jong, son of Jan De Jong (http://www.hansdejong.biz/index.htm)
Sensei Robert Hymas (http://www.indianoceandojo.com.au/default.htm)

In addition Sensei's Peter and Debbie Clark have a school, as does Sensei Greg Palmer.

There is also Jishukan Ryu Jujitsu being taught by Ramon & Russell Lawrence (http://www.budokan.com.au/)

If anyone knows of others let me know.

Regards

Neil

Howard Quick
22nd May 2006, 21:21
Australasian martial arts hall of fame huh???

Neil Hawkins
23rd May 2006, 00:16
Yes, well all I can say is Sensei Lawrence does practice good iaido, jodo and jujutsu, I don't want to get drawn into the old Grandmaster Soke rank thing.

I looked at some of the names on the list and raised my eyebrows, but I think it is more telling when you look at who isn't on the list! I know a couple of people who have refused to be recognised.

Say no more!!

Neil

Jock Armstrong
23rd May 2006, 00:55
Brian Gallon was "elected" a member in 1996- that says it all for me. I knew that gent quite well- not in a good way. I am suspicious of "Halls of Fame" in general. I usually wouldn't have a clue who the vast majority of people mentioned are, ergo-can't be that "famous" can they......

djnoah
25th May 2006, 08:15
G'day djnoah - FWIW, It's a condition of membership here that you sign every post with your full real name - it's easy done by going to the 'user cp' page, and add your name under 'edit signature'.

That said - I'd be very interested to hear a bit more about the style you guys do - which branch of 'Yanagi Ryu' do you guys do? I understand the name is a very common one in JMA - and there would have been many different 'Yanagi Ryu' throughout history.

You mention that Mr. Greenstone studied under the current head of the style - can you tell me his name? And where the style is based in Japan?

I'm sure that would help me geta bit more information on the style.

All the best,

Brendan

Hi Brendan, thanks for the info on the local blog culture...
As for our Jujutsu / Bujutsu training in Perth, it is mainly styled after what I did in Amagasaki Japan under Kano Takehiko - Sensei, who was Soke of the Shingetsu Muso Yanagi Ryu System, started in the Azuchi-Momoyama period bby Iwanaga Gennojo Masamitsu. I also trained under Iwanaga Gensaburo-Sensei, who has since taken over after the passing away of Kano sensei recently...

I also combine this with the training I did in Los Angeles under people like Hawkins Cheung, Wally Jay, Cliff Stewart and some cool folks at the Inosanto Academy...please come and train with us -- you may find our approach somewhat interesting!

Finny
25th May 2006, 11:19
Thanks for the info Mr. Greenstone - I sure will try to come up and see what you're up to.

djnoah
26th May 2006, 02:04
Whoops Finny, looks like I was typing kinda fast the other day and came up a very un-flattering typo on the name of the founder our system! Should be Iwanaga Gennojo Masamitsu -- whew!
Also looking for a venue south of the river, maybe Vic Park area...as I'm new in town wondering if you'd have any suggestions?

Cheers - Noah

George Kohler
26th May 2006, 03:23
Whoops Finny, looks like I was typing kinda fast the other day and came up a very un-flattering typo on the name of the founder our system! Should be Iwanaga Gennojo Masamitsu -- whew!

I corrected it for you.

djnoah
27th May 2006, 01:04
Ooki ni Kohler-san, for the typo correction. Nice to have a conscientious Administrator!

Regarding the connections to Kukishin Ryu etc, it is my understanding that Kano Sensei was the Soke of several Kobudo Ryu-ha; with the Mokuroku to prove it...Kukishin Ryu being one of them. At Karrinyup we train the Kukishin Ryu Bojutsu, Jojutsu and Naginata as Kano Sensei and Iwanaga Sensei showed it to me. Kano Sensei also had Mokuroku for Hoki Ryu Iaijutsu, Shibukawa Ryu Kenjutsu (A Yagyu-Ryu offshoot I believe) and of course the secret Takagi Ryu scrolls, which bear a striking resemblance in their execution to the traditional Yanagi-Ryu Tachi-waza and Idori-waza. There were others...

With regard to Sensei Angier, I believe he and I also have some connection thru the Danzan Ryu I did as a kid in Los Angeles. In the 1980s I knew a teacher named Bernie Lau, who I believe was an early proponent of Aikijujutsu in Seattle, then later went to live in Hawaii...is there a connection there? Does anybody know what Sensei Lau may be up to these days? Having been an ex-undercover narcotics cop, his approach to training was quite unique...

However there is no connection between the Yanagi Ryu practiced by Sensei Angier's group and the Shingetsu Muso Yanagi Ryu as developed by Iwanaga Gennojo Masamitsu in the 1500s.

djnoah
27th May 2006, 01:12
Welcome Noah, I must get up there and say hello.

Without trying to hijack the thread there is some good Jujutsu on offer in Perth.

Shihan De Jong taught Tsutsumi Hozan Ryu and there are still a number of instructors teaching De Jong's system here in Perth.

Sensei Maggie De Jong, daughter of Jan De Jong with Sensei Paul Connolly (http://www.jandejong.com.au/)
Sensei Hans De Jong, son of Jan De Jong (http://www.hansdejong.biz/index.htm)
Sensei Robert Hymas (http://www.indianoceandojo.com.au/default.htm)

In addition Sensei's Peter and Debbie Clark have a school, as does Sensei Greg Palmer.

There is also Jishukan Ryu Jujitsu being taught by Ramon & Russell Lawrence (http://www.budokan.com.au/)

If anyone knows of others let me know.

Regards

Neil

Thanks Neil,

Yes I have met the de Jong family after arriving here in Perth upon recommendation by my friend Wally Jay...only to find that Jan de Jong had sadly passed away just before my arrival. Hans de Jong also teaches at several locations near me. The de Jong legacy is really quite a model to follow for martial arts in WA if you ask me...I must get down to say hello again to them soon. I have also heard of a group led by a woman that trains Iai and Jujutsu in the Duncraig area; will try to find out more and post.

Daniel Lee
28th May 2006, 02:16
Hi Noah,

Good to see you here!

djnoah
30th May 2006, 04:37
Hi Daniel,

Nice to be here! How are things in Tokyo? Getting hot yet?