PDA

View Full Version : Traditional Teaching

joe yang
9th May 2006, 00:39
A gifted martial artist is not necessarily a gifted teacher. Nor is a gifted teacher necessarily a gifted martial artist. Nor is it required one have a natural gift to excell in fighting or teaching. These are skills which can be learned. Budo is about teaching these skills, regardless of natural ability, to students who may or may not have natural ability.

Teaching untalented, ungifted students, raising them to a professional level of ability is not generally a Western tradition. It is an Eastern tradition. For those students who are fortunate enough, talented enough and lucky enough to be training well under a first generation "super soke", that's nice, that's loyal. Some of us need a little more. Have some sympathy! LOL

Prince Loeffler
9th May 2006, 07:20
Its a very interesting viewpoint Joe ! Nothing could be further from the truth.

joe yang
10th May 2006, 09:16
Prince, what do you disagree with? With all due respect.

Prince Loeffler
10th May 2006, 09:43
Prince, what do you disagree with? With all due respect.

Actually I am not disagreeing with your statements, Sorry If I come across like I did not agree. And what the heck are up this late for ! :)

Fred27
10th May 2006, 09:49
Traditional Teaching

Well whats wrong with "Wax on, Wax off"? :p :p

joe yang
10th May 2006, 11:54
Prince, I suspected you and a lot of members of this board do agree with me. I suspect you were trying to say nothing could be further from reality, which is sadly true. I'm up this late because I'm working nights this week, if you can call it work. What's your excuse?

Prince Loeffler
10th May 2006, 17:34
Prince, I suspected you and a lot of members of this board do agree with me. I suspect you were trying to say nothing could be further from reality, which is sadly true. I'm up this late because I'm working nights this week, if you can call it work. What's your excuse?

Insomia ! :)

jukado1
13th May 2006, 17:37
What makes a great teacher is first loving the subject you teach, Second, Truly caring for your students and wanting them ALL to achieve their highest level of potential, I believe that Great teachers teach with what I call the 3 E's, First "Entertainment" they make the training enjoyable/fun, Most people who start martial arts, Train for purpose's other then to learn how to be a better person, For reasons other then to be the baddest man on the plant, People train for "self-defense", For "socialization", As a combination of an exercise program, a hobby, a sport, and an art, And for a very few, To be fighters, Eg, Those in law enforcement, Professional bouncers, Bodyguards, And pro fighters. And those who need and can get the most out of martial arts training are those who if they don't enjoy the training will be the first to quit. The 2ND E is exercise, getting a good workout, so they feel better about themselves, And the last E, Education, Walking away from the training with REAL SKILL, Not just a "Tae Bo" feel good feeling, But the ability to defend ones self when the animal excrement hits the air oscillator.