PDA

View Full Version : Please help with translation from japanese!!

Sam(urai)
12th May 2006, 09:06
Hello everybody,

I wasn't sure where to put this but language seemed to be the best place.

I am a looking to buy a miniture Japanese sword set (katana, wakasahi and tanto) in shirasaya to sit on my desk at work to stop people asking me mind numbingly stupid questions... I know it's a bit... how would you say... NNNNNNNGGGGG!!!!

But...

I have seen a set I like but it has some writing on the saya and I do not want to buy something that has nonsensical characters... or worse...

Any help would be greatfully recieved, this is not the set but it has the same writting and is easier to read on this picture.

http://www.swords-and-more.com/shop/catalog/images/l1077C600.jpg

Sam

Karasu Maru
12th May 2006, 13:18
一、血気の勇を戒むること

1.Develop self-control.

Andrew S
12th May 2006, 17:07
It is also translated as "Refrain from violent behaviour".
It is the 5th precept of Funakoshi's (Shotokan Karate) Dojo-Kun

The single character in the circles is "katana" (sword).

So, while not nonsensical, I'm not sure about appropriateness.

My other concern is that they would ENCOURAGE stupid questions.
"Hey, are those real?"
"Are you a ninja?
"Can you cut through a watermelon with those?"
"What does that say?"

Texasmic
12th May 2006, 17:26
It is also translated as "Refrain from violent behaviour".
It is the 5th precept of Funakoshi's (Shotokan Karate) Dojo-Kun

The single character in the circles is "katana" (sword).

So, while not nonsensical, I'm not sure about appropriateness.

My other concern is that they would ENCOURAGE stupid questions.
"Hey, are those real?"
"Are you a ninja?
"What does that say?"
If you take it out does it have to have blood on it before you put it up?

saru1968
12th May 2006, 18:30

Or rather can you cut a watermelon on my stomach without cutting me?

Sam(urai)
12th May 2006, 19:59
Well actaully the ones I'm thinking of getting the katana blade is only 20cm long, it's just a desk thing to be all sad and mock oriental with... I have no pre-conceptions that by owning these I will become a Samurai master and inherit a secret art :p

But thanks guy's for your help... much appreciated :D

Dave Humm
18th May 2006, 23:44
Hi guys,

Would someone with Japanese language skills be able (or willing) to explain to me what exactly "SHINKEN" means in the following two examples, many thanks in advance.

1. Shinken - relating to the Japanese sword

2. Shinken taijutsu - the name of an alledged form/style of gendai ninjutsu

3. Shinkendo - the term used to describe the system of budo created by Obata Sensei.

Kind regards

P Goldsbury
19th May 2006, 00:24

Or rather can you cut a watermelon on my stomach without cutting me?

Hello,

Welcome to E-Budo.

I am the moderator of this forum. There is a forum rule that you sign your posts with your full name. Please keep this rule, for you agreed to do so when you became a member of E-Budo.

Dave Humm
19th May 2006, 00:35
Hi guys,

Would someone with Japanese language skills be able (or willing) to explain to me what exactly "SHINKEN" means in the following two examples, many thanks in advance.

3. Shinkendo - the term used to describe the system of budo created by Obata Sensei.

Kind regards{Mental Note} Don't post when tired.

That should have read "three examples"

:rolleyes:

Andrew S
19th May 2006, 05:08
Hi guys,

Kind regards

Dave,

1. 真剣 literally "true blade". It can also be used to describe someone as serious/earnest.

2. Sorry, I'm not familiar with that particular beast.

3. 真剣道 a bit tricky. Could be taken to mean "The way of the live blade" (I'm inclined to think this, given his batto-do background) but could also be taken to mean "true kendo".

Remember, there are three kinds of people - those who can count and those who can't. :)

Brian Owens
20th May 2006, 05:30
...3. 真剣道 a bit tricky. Could be taken to mean "The way of the live blade" (I'm inclined to think this, given his batto-do background) but could also be taken to mean "true kendo".
Obata Kaiso has translated it -- transliterated, actually -- as "True Sword Way" -- exactly as the kanji read.

I find that somewhat obscure, as it could mean "True Way of the Sword" or "Way of the True Sword." Even shinken by itself -- True Sword -- can be confusing. Does it mean, in this context, shinken as opposed to bokken ("true sword" as opposed to "wooden sword"), or does it mean "True Swordsmanship" as opposed to "Make-believe Swordsmanship"?

And somehow I suspect that being obsure is just as it should be. Either, both, or even more than the above could all be true.

Andrew S
20th May 2006, 05:36
And somehow I suspect that being obsure is just as it should be. Either, both, or even more than the above could all be true.

I wish I had said that too, Brian.

Lt_Action
20th May 2006, 19:18
Sorry if I am adressing something already known, but I believe Obata Kaiso intends it to mean "real" swordsmanship.

As opposed to swordsmanship done as a sport or swordsmanship not taken as seriously as it should be.

Shinkendo revolves around battlefield sword tactics and applications which is also why I believe he reffers to it as the "True way of the sword".

It is my understanding that one of the driving factors behind the creation of Shinkendo was that he felt many sword practioners were practicing very unsafely. I believe he made the commitment to form the new art after he witnessed an Iai demonstrator nearly take off his own nose.

THis may have something to do with the name.

Please, by all means, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Michael Mason
30th May 2006, 17:20
I believe he made the commitment to form the new art...
Regarding the founding of Shinkendo, I would suggest this link for further reading http://www.shinkendo.com/origins.html. There are also some nice background pieces in the recent Shinkendo-Tameshigiri book and the original Shinkendo book.

...after he witnessed an Iai demonstrator nearly take off his own nose.

It was actually a thumb...

(From http://www.tsuki-kage.com/darwin.html -Nathan Scott's sword accident listing)

"Batto-do instructor cuts own thumb off during demonstration...

[August 26, 1990 Los Angeles, California]

This rather famous incident took place at the Japan America Theater in Little Tokyo, Los Angeles during the 50th annual Nisei week "Aikido and Japanese Swordsmanship Demonstration". The demonstration was hosted by Mr. Kensho Furuya of the Aikido Center of Los Angeles, and included sixteen performers from the Zen Nippon Battodo Renmei (ZNBR; All Japan Battodo Federation), led by Mr. Hataya Mitsuo (Rokudan, Shihan).

Mr. Furuya had recently been permitted to operate a branch dojo under the Zen Nippon Battodo Renmei (ZNBR), and had invited a large group of swordsmen to Los Angeles to demonstrate their forms.

Mr. Hataya opened the battodo part of the show by saying a few words, and then the sword demonstration began as planned. However, the packed audience was shocked when part way through one of the demonstrations, Mr. Hoso Nobuharu (Chief Instructor of Okayama Prefecture ZNBR) severed his own thumb off while attempting to rapidly draw his sword. During the second Iai kata, having begun from a kneeling position, Mr. Hoso had attempted to draw the blade in a one handed downward cut and apparently met some resistance towards the end of the draw. Upon adding additional force to the draw to release the last portion of blade, the scabbard split at the mouth area and the blade sliced through the swordsman's left thumb. From the audiences point of view, they were surely alerted by the swordsman's yelp and the severed thumb visibly sailing through the air and landing on the stage several feet away.

Immediately after the injury, the swordsman stood up, glanced at his sword and hastily exited from the stage.

Despite the host's attempt to collect all camcorder tapes of the accident, there are apparently at least two or more versions of this demonstration that have circulated throughout the various sword groups over the years, which has surely attributed to the continued interest in this incident. Interestingly, Mr. Hoso has remained active in Battodo, and can be seen regularly performing or officiating at the Zen Nihon Battodo Taikai (test cutting competitions) in Japan, though he now wears a black glove on his left hand.

- Information obtained through the event's program, and viewing of video footage. "