PDA

View Full Version : Specialty coffee, hand roasted to order

poison
14th May 2006, 22:49
I've been a longtime lurker, more recent member. I work executive protection, and recently started my own coffee roasting company in the hopes that I can make that my main source of income.

I served in the IDF, where I developed a great love for coffee, and worked in a cafe in Tel Aviv for a while. I also took extensive Krav Maga in a gov't security course after the military.

Once I returned to the US, I immediately fell into working private security, but continued learning about coffee. In the end I had an opportunity to apprentice with a master roaster, which I jumped on, and did for over a year.

I found e-budo while searching for info on martial arts schools of various types; I've wanted to take classes again, but time and money constraints, not to mention kids, have kept me from it. Last year I decided to sell my mt. bike and use the money to pay for 6 months up from at a local school.

Strangely, just before I put the money down on the classes, I had an opportunity to buy a coffee roaster, which I did. Of course the martial arts study has fallen by the wayside, but I have a little budding business to show for it.

The business is just myself and my wife. I do all the roasting myself. Our goal is to buy the best coffees in the world, roast them to order, and mail them to you within 24 hours of roasting by 2 day priority air. Our coffee never sits roasted and waiting to be sold.

If any of you love coffee, or have never had truly fresh hand-roasted coffee straight from the roaster, I'd be honored to serve you the best coffee I can roast.

Our website is www.westcoastroasting.com . I discounted my excellent Guatemala and Kenya a while back, because I have my eye on some very special, rare coffees to replace them that are in limited supply. THey are both $10lb.

I hope this post is not offensive in any way. If so, please feel free to delete it. :)

poison
15th May 2006, 23:01
Also, if anyone has any questions about coffee, brewing, machines, etc (I won't say tea, I'm sure many here far surpass my level of tea knowledge :) ), please ask. If I don't know the answer, I can come up with one.

poison
21st May 2006, 17:37
Aside from my regular coffees, I've recently started offering an incredible Kona coffee, which I said I'd never do. Kona tends to be over-priced (up to $50lb) and over-hyped. You can get better coffees from elsewhere for less.

But I've had so much demand for it, I decided to look into it more, thinking I wouldn't find anything. I ordered several samples from respected Kona growers, but was not happy.

By chance, I discovered a husband and wife who grow their Kona on a 5 acre farm. It's organic, shade grown, hand picked over six months out of the year to ensure that only ripe beans are picked, all done solely by the two of them; then naturally processed with volcanic runoff by the leading Kona preparer (wet process).

The beans are gorgeous: large, uniform, and flawless. The preparation is second to none. I roast them lighter than any other bean I sell, because roasted any darker and I kill the flavors of the Kona origin. Initially I notice a very sweet cup, with a secondary thickness or buttery mouthfeel hinting of macadamia or coconut, and a fruity lilting aftertaste. It's the polar opposite of my Sumatra. Absolutely stunning.

Warning: internet geek humor to follow!!

Here's what someone had to say about my Kona :p :

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9065/poison4sg.jpg

poison
28th May 2006, 02:45
Well, I recieved an offer from a professional barista to really brew the heck out of my espresso blend, and post a review on it up on his blog. I get a lot of complements on my espresso, but mostly from non-coffeegeek types. This guy is tied in to the coffee nerd world, and given their level of coffee knowledge, I was a bit nervous about it. It could end up either being really great, or really bad. Fortunately, after a bit of a rocky start, it's turning out better than I expected.

Here's a link:

http://coffeeaspirations.blogspot.com/

poison
29th May 2006, 18:37
I've got a 10% off coupon for Memorial Day: coffeemug.

To those who serve: thank you for your sacrifice, be safe, and come home alive!

poison
29th May 2006, 21:23
Not sure how to edit a post here, so:

Due to an issue with my shopping cart, the code doesn't work, so I've lowered the prices on all coffees by $1.25lb.

:) Sorry for any inconvenience.

poison
2nd June 2006, 18:17
Prices back to normal.

How about this: the first two people to post back here who want some will each get a lb of their choice of coffee from my website, roasted fresh and mailed out by two day air, as always. I'd prefer people who like coffee in general, of course.

One condition: post back and give an honest report as to how they liked it. :D Oh yeah, US only.

47th ronin
2nd June 2006, 19:19
Bad day to be Canadian :rolleyes:

47th ronin
2nd June 2006, 22:32
Hey, I'll be in Chicago for 4 days next week. Does that count?

poison
2nd June 2006, 23:15
Chicago, huh? How about this: if you want to pay for shipping, I'll send you a lb of your choice from my site, to Canada. Shipping is $9.50 actual cost (I don't pad shipping).

47th ronin
2nd June 2006, 23:52
Chicago, huh? How about this: if you want to pay for shipping, I'll send you a lb of your choice from my site, to Canada. Shipping is $9.50 actual cost (I don't pad shipping).

OK, I'll send you a PM.

Thanks.

poison
4th June 2006, 00:21
Gotcha! I'll probably send it out so as to arrive after your trip. :)

poison
4th June 2006, 18:57
One taker? This is free, people, including shipping in the US.

poison
6th June 2006, 18:35
47Ronin, your coffee went out yesterday.

47th ronin
23rd June 2006, 17:55
OK, so I got my coffee from Nate yesterday. Took a little longer than either of us expected, but well worth the wait. The smell of the Kenyan coffee is rich and promising, and the cup of coffee that I made fulfilled everything that the smell hinted at.

I'm not a coffee guy, that will wax poetic about the apricot undertones of the bean, nor do I have the knowledge to attempt such a thing. What I can say, is this coffee is the best coffee I have ever had, possible exception being Costa Rican coffe that I drank in Costa Rica, but the scenery and ambience might have had something to do with that.

The coffee brewed up dark and robust, no bitterness at all, very smooth with just milk. My wife, who no longer drinks coffee, commented that it smelled better than the coffee I have been drinking latley, a french roast and a Costa Rican Black, both from a local roaster.

This is superior coffee, anyone who enjoys a great cup of coffe should make the effort to try West Coast Roasting's coffee. It is obvious from the first taste that the company focus is on making the best coffee they possibly can.

Think I will go and enjoy another cup.

poison
24th June 2006, 18:17
Thank you for the fine review! Glad you finally got it, and sorry it took so long. Canada is hit or miss, it can take 3 days or 3 weeks. It's at least within the window of freshness, though closing in on the end of it.

I hope you continue to enjoy, Cris!

There's still a lb up for grabs, I KNOW someone can take the plunge into the world of fine coffee. :p

Inazuma
25th June 2006, 06:20
Um... how outta reach would you consider Australia, I love a good cup of coffee and from the words of Mr. Anderson there, my mouth began itching for it... ?

poison
25th June 2006, 16:11
Amir, ma matzav? :)

Honestly, sending coffee to Australia defeats the purpose of my business: providing the freshest coffee I can.

I'd rather send within the US. I'll give it some time, and if there are no takers, maybe we can work something out.

BTW, do you know a Yoav Appel in Sydney?

Nate

Inazuma
26th June 2006, 14:35
hakol sababa...

cool, i'll keep my fingers crossed, didn't think there was much of a chance but one never knows till he tries, right? :)

um, no, no i don't think so, i haven actually seen anyone from israel around these parts for quite a while (but then again, i don't hang out in the tourist parts of sydney much). does he do any martial arts??

poison
26th June 2006, 20:12
hakol sababa...

cool, i'll keep my fingers crossed, didn't think there was much of a chance but one never knows till he tries, right? :)

um, no, no i don't think so, i haven actually seen anyone from israel around these parts for quite a while (but then again, i don't hang out in the tourist parts of sydney much). does he do any martial arts??

No problem. :)

Yoav grew up in Sydney, and his bro owns or runs a couple nightclubs or something, IIRC. He served with me b'tsava, two chayalim bodedim. ;) He isn't into MA at all.

Inazuma
28th June 2006, 10:41
What were you guys in the army?, I was tanks... 98-2001

No, i'm pretty sure I dont know him though...

poison
30th June 2006, 16:49
I was in the Paratroops, he was in Golani. Cool dude: he went back to Australia after his service, got a degree in journalism, then returned to Israel to report for Jpost, CNN, the AP, etc.

George Kohler
8th July 2006, 04:33
Sorry, guys.

This forum is intended for Budo. We have one guy trying to sell his car on here, so I'm going to close this thread.