PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tyson in the cage

powerof0ne
23rd May 2006, 16:48
here you go (http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122411,00.asp)

powerof0ne
23rd May 2006, 17:07
sorry about that, was finding something for a friend, haha, here's the actual link to Iron Mike: http://youtube.com/watch?v=TzD7lZRATW0

I tried to go back to edit but waited too long before I caught that :(

MikeWilliams
23rd May 2006, 17:34
This caused quite a bit of controversy over here. Tyson was a shockingly bad referee. Thank god the fight didn't last longer.

MarkF
25th May 2006, 14:45
Joe Louis was about that bad as a boxing referee, but as with most fighters leaving the ring, down is a short cut to the exit.

Iron Mike said at the end of his last fight "...I was just paying my bills..."

It was a "guest spotlight." I suppose there are worse things to do to pay one's bills, but the fighters were covered.

Mark

powerof0ne
25th May 2006, 17:14
Some ex-fighters are great refs but Mike definitely needs to work on his reffing skills after watching this.

MarkF
27th May 2006, 02:22
I agree in a lot of cases but few who were big names in any of these sports with long careers, were used to listening to the ref. Watching the ref was when you are through but do not want to give in even though you want to. Joe Louis had the longest Heavyweight reign and I doubt he paid much attention when he fought, but I saw him referee and owing to what he used to be in the ring, his televised opportunities into the world of third men, was just not to be.

But may boxers with short careers did become good referees. Am example is Mills Lane. Mostly fought as an amateur but did have some pro bouts. He found he was better at law school and as a lawyer, District Attorney, and judge. This helped him in becoming the fair referee that he was. Then there was Larry Hazzard who never fought in the pro ranks, but he became the best ever at being the third man. Mike was doing something he had never done before so I think he, at least, got an education, if he wants to continue, he will have to work very hard. Only fairly recently have schools for judges and referees started so Hazzard's so, Larry Jr., a graduate of such a school is so much like his father it is scary.

Mike was doing something in a sport that was really foreign to him. I'm only giving him the benefit of the doubt as he'd never done it before, had a referee outside the ring helping him with calls but he was not on top of the action as one has to be in the cage.

All in All, he was terrible but the fighters were in no danger. I still say he was there for the promotion and not to be a real referee.

Mark

PS: His behavior, a least, was very good and he caused no problems for anyone and had a good time.