PDA

View Full Version : Sword Dojo in South Texas?

Garza-L2006
27th May 2006, 18:46
I'm looking for an Iaido/Kenjutsu dojo in South Texas (McAllen area) to complement my Aikido training. I've been looking off and on for this kind of training for at least 9 yrs. Thanks for all the info you can provide.

Chris Brown
28th May 2006, 04:08
I suspect the closest reputable sword dojo you will find to the Valley will be in San Antonio. Although I may be mistaken, to the best of my knowledge there aren't many (if any at all) choices in the Valley proper nor in Corpus.

Reputable iai and kenjutsu instruction are available in San Antonio, if you have the desire and ability to commute. Do you have a preference for style? Koryu? Gendai? Iai over Kenjutsu, or vice versa?

Also, please remember to sign all of your posts with your full name, in accordance with the E-Budo rules to which you agreed when you joined. The Mods take this rule very seriously. This is most easily accomplished by clicking on the "User CP" tab, and then using the "edit signature" function to create your signature and enable it to be displayed automatically each time you post, thus eliminating the need to remember.

Welcome to E-Budo!

carl mcclafferty
28th May 2006, 14:00
Senor Garza:
Luis Leal has a Shin Shin Sekiguchi Ryu dojo in Harlingen, PM me and I'll get you in touch with him.

Carl McClafferty

Garza-L2006
29th May 2006, 03:06
Reputable iai and kenjutsu instruction are available in San Antonio, if you have the desire and ability to commute. Do you have a preference for style? Koryu? Gendai? Iai over Kenjutsu, or vice versa?

Also, please remember to sign all of your posts with your full name, in accordance with the E-Budo rules to which you agreed when you joined. The Mods take this rule very seriously. This is most easily accomplished by clicking on the "User CP" tab, and then using the "edit signature" function to create your signature and enable it to be displayed automatically each time you post, thus eliminating the need to remember.

I would prefer Kenjutsu, although the style really is up for grabs as I don't really know much about them to make an informed descision... my training has been in Aikido/Jodo, but haven't really researched sword training (much). I would really like to learn a classical style that's functional, not flashy...

Also, thanks for the tip... have already changed my sig line...

Chris Brown
29th May 2006, 04:45
Glad I could help in some way. It appears Mr. McClafferty may have just the ticket for you in his earlier post. It also seems I was mistaken about the availability of good sword instruction in the Valley. Checking them out would probably be a good idea, and would certainly save you quite a commute to SA to train.

If they aren't what you are are looking for, and San Antonio is an option for you, get in touch with me, and I'll try to get some names and schools for you to look into.

JNavarro
1st June 2006, 20:04
Luis,

I lived in the McAllen area most of my life, up until two years ago, and there aren't any Iaido/Kenjutsu dojos in that area. The closest one is probably the one Mr. McClafferty suggested in Harlingen. Driving up to San Antonio is a 4 hour trip each way, which, depending how much into martial arts you are, might be too long of a drive.
Before I moved to Michigan and started training in Koryu I used to train in Aikido in McAllen for about 5 years. Which dojo are you training in?

Garza-L2006
21st June 2006, 02:41
I lived in the McAllen area most of my life, up until two years ago, and there aren't any Iaido/Kenjutsu dojos in that area. The closest one is probably the one Mr. McClafferty suggested in Harlingen. Driving up to San Antonio is a 4 hour trip each way, which, depending how much into martial arts you are, might be too long of a drive.
Before I moved to Michigan and started training in Koryu I used to train in Aikido in McAllen for about 5 years. Which dojo are you training in?

I'm a former student of Master Bob Davis (both at the Summit & his studio in McAllen)... I received my black belt in Aikido back in '99, moved away to Massachusetts (college) and came back to the valley in '01. I haven't had a chance to study Akido or any other martial art except in my own back yard since '99... am really out of practice.