PDA

View Full Version : On-line translation

Steve Williams
8th December 2000, 16:09
Found a site that does on-line translations http://www.worldlingo.com/en/free_translations.html

Tried it by putting in the url for the thread "translation" from this forum, my Japanese is not good (can only recognise some characters ビール and ウィスキー and コーヒー :up::laugh: )

Perhaps any of you who understand (or are) Japanese could comment?

Strange that it does not recognise some words (mostly romanji words)

電子メール誰かへのこのページ!
印刷できる版を示しなさい

E-Budo.com > 言語
翻訳か. < 最後の糸 次の糸の>
著者 糸の

Tamasii Saru
メンバー

位置: ジャクソン, Tn
興味: Partying Martial の芸術:)
登録される: 2000 年7 月
ポスト: 25
だれでも手を離れて" Gaurdian 天使" のまたは" Gaurdian 精神 " ののための日本人を知っているか.

11-15-2000 04:14 pm Ip: 記録される

Earl Hartman
年長のメンバー

位置: Palo Alto, カリフォルニア, 米国
興味: Kenjutsu/kendo のiai のheiho すなわちjo, kyudo/kyujutsu, Nagao Ryu Taijutsu
登録される: 2000 年6 月
ポスト: 304
言葉" Ujigami " は最も近いおそらく。" uji " はclan としてについて通常(しかし, より緩く, 集団考慮されることができる凝集性の, 関連付けられたグループように見る) 考えられ, " kami " は神の精神かdeity である。従って, " ujigami " は clan のtitular deity を意味する, clan 保護する。

一般用語は" mamori-gami ", か" 保護のdeity " である。日本語の天使のための単語は" tenshi " (天空のメッセンジャー) であるが, " tenshi " が西部の概念であり, 私が決してだれでも " mamori-tenshi " を言うのを聞いたあらないことはことを私は考える。

とにかく, " mamori-gami " は最もよい, 私考える。

" 精神猿" を意味するためにbtw, あなたの名前は仮定されるか. そう, いかにあなたはそれと上がったか.

11-15-2000 04:51 pm Ip: 記録される

Tamasii Saru
メンバー

おかしいあなたは頼むべきである....
井戸i は私のsensei から得たそれを.... Ya は見る, 私は投球の間に' ポケットに' とどまらない恐ろしい傾向を有するのが常であったまたは私はoutta の技術をwiggle 。私が公正な自然に flexable, 自然な傾向を投げないべき有する。彼は名前が壁で掛かることを必要としたと同時に彼が私をsqurriel 男の子と呼ぶのが常であったが, 猿のための漢字は共通だった井戸…こうして私はなった" spirited 猿" を

11-15-2000 05:35 pm Ip: 記録される

Tamasii Saru
メンバー

漢字を得たか.
あなたはmamori-gami またはukigami のための漢字を有することを起こらないか.

11-17-2000 01:13 am Ip: 記録される

ロバートReinberger
メンバー

位置: ウィーン, オーストリア
興味: 家族, 一般にBudo; Jujutsu, Iaijutsu;
登録される: 2000 年8 月
ポスト: 35
私を試みることを許可しなさい! 次のとおりである:

Mamori-gami

そして

Ujigami

グラフィックはJeffrey の日本語からある <-> 英国辞書サーバー。

点は,
ロバート

11-17-2000 11:41 am Ip: 記録される

時間すべてはと(米国) ある;

フォーラムのジャンプ: 1 つを選びなさい: 部門: 一般的 新しい何が セミナーAnouncements 助けのフォーラム メンバーのラウンジ 雑談部屋 電子賭博 部門: Dojo Dojo 管理 教師と学生 悪いBudo 着ることと供給 Website の設計と批評 Budo とボディ 部門: Budo のスポットライト Fumio Manaka- Jissen Kobudo Jinenkan (閉まる) Obata Toshishiro- Shinkendo は 部門: Gendai Budo Gendai Budo Judo Karate Aikido Shorinji Kempo 近い四分の一Combatives 部門: Koryu Bujutsu Koryu: 歴史と伝統 Jujutsu Aikijujutsu 剣の芸術 Jo 部門: Okinawan Martial の芸術 Ryukyuan 非武装のMartial の芸術 Ryukyu Kobudo Ryukyuan の文化と伝統 部門: Ninpo Ninpo とNinjutsu Bujinkan Genbukan 部門: 心と精神 Budo Kokoro 黙想 Shinto 部門: 日本文化 歴史と伝統 言語 行きなさい 食糧と飲み物 部門: 資源 媒体とMartial の芸術 Clipart のアーカイブ 研究方法 部門: コレクターのコーナー Ebay のオークションのニュース 買物, 販売法, または貿易 部門: e-budo の市場 日本の宝物 Ellis Amdur 著[ 本は] O-sensei との決闘 < 最後の糸 次の糸の>
フォーラムの規則:
あなたの完全姓名のあなたのポストに署名しなさい。
冒涜は容認されない。
Blatant コマーシャルの広告は許可されない。
点と仲間のE-Budo のあなたのメンバーを扱いなさい。

Smilies ガイド
Admin 選択:
開いた/ 近い糸
移動糸
削除の糸
糸を編集しなさい

翻訳しなさいから 英語からスペイン語英語からフランス語英語からドイツ語英語からイタリア語英語からポルトガル語===============スペイン語から英語フランス語から英語ドイツ語から英語イタリア語から英語ポルトガル 語から英語
動力を与えられる シストラン翻訳ソフトウェア

< 私達に連絡しなさい - E-Budo.com の>

動力を与えられる: vBulletin 版1.1.3
© 版権; Jelsoft 企業は2000 年を限った。

Chi
8th December 2000, 16:58
A very interesting site... must try it out and see how good it is...

Well... my guess is that it doesn't recognise romaji because it is translating English to Shift-JIS, not romaji to Shift-JIS. Much as most (non-martial artist or japanese-speaking) english speakers do not understand romaji words...

Regards,

Chris.

(and your knowledge of katakana is surely enough... a man can live on beer whiskey and coffee surely? :) )

Bishamon
9th December 2000, 04:48
Hmmm...Well, you can definitely tell the translations were done by a computer--most of the expressions are translated literally word-for-word and often come in an English word order (subject-verb-object, as opposed to subject-object-verb in Japanese). Most Japanese would probably have difficulty understanding the content of the translated material.

Still, automated translation has definitely come a long way since its inception--who knows, maybe in 20 years' time there will be no need for anyone to learn a foreign langauage... :(

Chi
9th December 2000, 09:11
Originally posted by Bishamon
Still, automated translation has definitely come a long way since its inception--who knows, maybe in 20 years' time there will be no need for anyone to learn a foreign langauage... :(

What about for fun... that'll always ba a reason!

(and until they invent a real babelfish, listening and speaking a foreign language will always need you to learn it first...)

Regards,

Chris.

Harold James
10th December 2000, 22:44
Originally posted by Bishamon

One thing the computers will never be able to do is understand the culture that goes with language that is unique from other cultures of other languages. While a person may be able to learn a lot of a foreign language, that person will never be a "Native Speaker" because of the lack of cultural knowledge. But a person can learn culture that in a way will make thier language usage and level of understanding better... something a computer will never be able to do (I HOPE!)

So maybe there will always be a reason to learn a foreign... human to human comunication.

Jens
11th December 2000, 09:26
Speaking of on-line translations, I think this one is pretty good: http://www.excite.co.jp/world/ Of course, the result is far from grammatically correct, but it is still helpful.

Regards,
Jens Nasstrom

Adam DArcy
12th December 2000, 20:02
.......my head hurts.......

I'm not sure that mechanical translations have really improved or not. Not that I am biased, having been a "human" translator, but that was a real mess.

Programs that translators use for aid are "somewhat" better, but really no substitute for the knowledge, cultural context, and general common sense that only a human can bring to the table. I would say stay away from this site unless you really want to confuse and potentially offend a native Japanese speaker.

Adam

Steve Williams
12th December 2000, 23:39
From what you have all said, it would seem that this site is not so hot :nono:

But I think it (and sites like it) can be very useful in certain circumstances, i.e. the translation of single words. In this capacity surely this is a very useful site, if I were trying to e-mail a native Japanese friend (English speaker) and wanted to explain a word or concept more fully, then I could insert the translated word maybe?
I know that the context that certain words are used in are very important but my thought is that my message could be enhanced by such a "word translation".

Any thoughts (BTW most of my Japanese friends speak and understand English better than I do, so for me this is irrelevant :D )