PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Exchange for Jodo.

MoppyPuppy
6th June 2006, 01:23
I'm gonna a ask a potentially stupid question.
I'm going to try and be careful.

Jodo and other weapon oriented martial arts.
Many Dojos can only be found in Asian countries.
Well, a dojo is a type of school.

Here goes: Is there a foreign exchange program, for schools such as this?

DDATFUS
6th June 2006, 03:57
depends on exactly what you want. If you are looking for koryu jojutsu or any other form of koryu weapons art, the people over at koryu.com say that they are unaware of any uchideshi (live-in student) programs in these arts. They might not know everything about every koryu, but I'd be surprised if you could find an exception that they haven't found yet.

Many gendai (modern) arts, however, offer opportunities for you to go and be a resident student, some for a set time period. This is the uchideshi thing I mentioned above. I think that Yoseikan budo, a gendai art that includes weapons training, has such a program, and there are others if you look. Some of the uchideshi programs, as I understand it, would allow you to go to Japan for a set period of time, live in the dojo in a dorm-like enivironment, and train. That sounds like what you are talking about when you say "student exchange," right? Your best bet is to search online to find out more about the schools that offer such programs and then to use the PM option to get in touch with senior members of those schools who post on these boards.

(Note: I am far from an expert on this subject, and simply regurgitating what I remember from various websites/e-budo posts/books. All that I've said could be wrong, so go looking for someone who has been an uchideshi and see what that person says).

Mekugi
6th June 2006, 09:39
If you wanted to, you could go to the IBU....I am sure they teach some Jodo there. You could also play baseball or volleyball..... :) It's expensive....and....well it's expensive.

http://www.budo-u.ac.jp/

Steve Delaney
6th June 2006, 12:33
If you wanted to, you could go to the IBU....I am sure they teach some Jodo there. You could also play baseball or volleyball..... :) It's expensive....and....well it's expensive.

http://www.budo-u.ac.jp/

Nope, they don't teach jodo there AFAIK, mainly kendo, judo, sumo & Karate I believe.

Mekugi
6th June 2006, 17:26
What about seitei jo?

renfield_kuroda
7th June 2006, 06:16
If you can get here and find a place to live, you can come train all day every day at Suimokai Honbu. Jo, tanjo, mugairyu iai, tessen, jutte, kusarigama, tanken...

Regards,

r e n

Steve Delaney
8th June 2006, 02:58
What about seitei jo?

Nope. None whatsoever. Lots of Jodoka at the yearly seminar, but no one teaching jo there AFAIK.

Robert Cheshire
4th August 2006, 22:36
Many gendai (modern) arts, however, offer opportunities for you to go and be a resident student, some for a set time period. This is the uchideshi thing I mentioned above. I think that Yoseikan budo, a gendai art that includes weapons training, has such a program, and there are others if you look.

There is no longer a Hombu in Japan for Yoseikan Budo. If you are interested in learning more about the components of Yoseikan Budo you can contact docphil from this forum.