PDA

View Full Version : Carvings on training weapons

Ruairi Quinn
1st June 2000, 13:32
Hello everybody.

Last night I was carving initials into my hanbo (3ft staff / cane weapon)) to differentiate it from other students and I found that once I'd marked in a simple 'Rq' I was tempted to keep going, but didn't.

I've seen people with celtic designs cut into bo staffs, but fairly sparse patterns, so I started thinking about whether or not it's appropriate to decorate them in this way. Obviously there's a fine line between making a weapon personalised and extremely gaudy: this is the aesthetic issue, but there's also the question of functionality.

I'd like to hear various opinions:-
Does anyone think that training weapons should remain unmarked and completely undecorated? Does anyone think that carving weapons could interfere with their utility? For instance, if I carve a pattern like fish-scales onto a hanbo, then it changes the grip of the weapon- it might make it less slippy if my hands aren't dry, but it might hinder me from sliding my hands quickly up and down the weapon.

Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Ruairi Quinn (edited 06-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ruairi Quinn (edited 06-01-2000).]

Diane Skoss
2nd June 2000, 21:55
Hi Ruairi,

My take (and that's all it is): marking weapons so that you know that they are yours is a good idea (I can't tell you how many times I've dreamed that I was at a huge training camp and there was a call to line up and I couldn't find my jo! On one of my weapons the mark is so faint as to be unidentifiable by anyone but me. Not good.).

Ideally the mark should be simple, on the flat end of the jo, and clearly identify the weapon. Though most of us know who the broken arrow mark belongs to, when in large international groups, someone could get confused. The same applies to the kanji that I use. Initials are good--though in one dojo I trained at there were three "DS"s.

Beyond this, I'd strongly advise against any further "decoration" (excepting of course dojo brands, which are just three--typically--kanji burned into the side of the weapon). Koryu training is meant to be done in a spare setting. We wear plain garb, have little if anything on the dojo walls, practice quietly--decoration on weapons just doesn't fit into this ethic, in my opinion.

Of course, if you aren't doing koryu and your teacher doesn't mind, you ought to feel free to do as you please.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Diane Skoss
Koryu.com (http://Koryu.com)

Kendoguy9
3rd June 2000, 19:58
i have heard from some people that you should be able to find your jo or bokuto in a bag filled with them, without looking. you should use your weapon so much it is one with you (or something like that). i have even seen people do this and have myself done this. at first i thought it was pretty cool. something out of a kung-fu movie.

a year ago i took psycology 101 and we did an experiment. we were each given a lemon, we marked and then fondled the lemon for about 5 min. then the prof. took our lemon and blindfolded us. each of us was given a new lemon and we felt it and if it wasn't ours we passed it on. eventually everyone had their own lemon. all of this with the sense of touch. no one had any troubles doing this. all the stories of someone training for years with the same sword or staff and building a bond with it was blown away by 10 min. of science. http://216.10.1.92/ubb/frown.gif

oh well i guess i'll get back to practicing floating in the lotus position. http://216.10.1.92/ubb/wink.gif

gambatte!!!

------------------
Chris Covington
Daito-ryu study group
Shinkendo
Kodokan judo

Diane Skoss
4th June 2000, 23:52
Just a quick addition.

The point of marking your weapons, as I understand it, is not so much to identify your weapon for yourself--as Chris points out, you get pretty good at recognizing your own, just by feel--but to allow someone else to know that the weapon is yours. That's why initials work best, I think.

------------------
Diane Skoss
Koryu.com (http://Koryu.com)

Gil Gillespie
10th June 2000, 17:03
I have had the same jo & bokken for 12 years now & they are indeed old friends, dented and showing wear & use, just like their owner. . .

Each has a brown bear paw print carved into its butt end ,as I was similarly suspicious of initials. I also wanted to keep the sides totally smooth for sliding through my hands. I can recognize them from across the room by their characteristic patina.

When they were new, after I cut the jo to size & rounded the bokken kissaki, I totally sanded off the phony-baloney varnish down to raw wood. Then over the years I repeatedly "oiled" them during & after keiko by rubbing my sweat into them (an inexhaustible resource in Florida). For the first months the raw wood just absorbed it all. But gradually a waxxy lustre accrued that today stands out.

This was not nearly as gross a process as it sounds. I was cautioned that the salts in my sweat would crack the wood but this proved untrue. Or I was just lucky.

Gil

Carl Long
10th June 2000, 23:24
Gil,

Is that what that awful smell was the last time I was in Orlando? Sheesh...I thought it was something wafting in from the dumpster outside. And now I find out it was your weapons that stank! OK, next time you are banned to the back of the dojo next to the door and some fresh air. http://216.10.1.92/ubb/tongue.gif My only question is...Do you treat your dogi the same way? I hope to see you again soon my friend.

http://216.10.1.92/ubb/wink.gif

Carl

Cilian McHugh
25th June 2000, 21:07
Does anybody have any opinions on burning one's name, initals or other marks into a wooden weapon? Where is a good place to get it done? Can one do it oneself?

Thanks

Kolschey
25th June 2000, 21:28
I have personally used a Dremel or other power rotary tool to carve initials on the butt of the various bokken, jo, and other wooden weapons that I use. I find that it works quite nicely. Pencil in what you wish to carve, then incise the markings gently in order to provide a surface that your bit can grab. Be sure to clamp the weapon down securely and wear eye protection! If you are not used to the tools, take a few minutes to practice on a piece of scrap wood so as to achieve satisfactory results when working on your weapons.
Hope this helps!

Diane Skoss
26th June 2000, 00:08
That's an outstanding idea! Which bit(? I'm not sure what the little carving doohickies are called) did you use? I just got a Dremel multi-speed rotary tool (with lots of attachments, not all of which I know what to do with), and this sounds like an excellent use for it.

Cheers!

Kolschey
26th June 2000, 03:52
The bit I have used is simply referred to as " High speed Cutter". Not really very specific, that. In appearance, it looks like a miniature circular saw blade mounted prpendicular to the shaft. The cicular blade shape is roughly 1cm in diameter. I am fond of using that shape to cut straight grooves. In that way, my initials are carved in a fashion reminiscent of some of the runic carvings that you might see on tools and weapons from early Scandanavian and Germanic culture. If you are more inclined towards curved forms, there are certain bits that have a ball on the end, This ball has a set of teeth which are arrayed as sharp, clockwise ridges. With this sort of burr you can carve out channels according to more curved designs. What I have generally found is that many hardwoods seem more challenging when I try to work in a cursive style. If your Dremel comes with a flexible shaft, you will find this to be a great advantage, as you will not need to control the entire tool, but only the end near the bit.